What's new

Savinelli Balsa Filters

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just had my first smoke with a balsa filter. The balsa was saturated, absolutely saturated. I wonder how much of that was from the tobacco and how much was saliva.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Probably the tobacco, if it was black and sodden. Try it again after letting some dry out for a while.

I really like the balsas, and they're the only filters I use in my 6mm pipes now.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just had my first smoke with a balsa filter. The balsa was saturated, absolutely saturated. I wonder how much of that was from the tobacco and how much was saliva.

6mm or 9mm balsa? Just curious about that. But when I use a balsa, my experience is the same—very moist. I usually only use them once and toss them. I used to use them twice (pull them out, let them dry, and then reverse them) but filters are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same experience here with them, after the smoke they are pretty saturated. I have a few pipes that use 9mm filters, and the Sav balsa's are the only ones I use in those pipes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This one was the 6mm. Will try some 9mm in the Pete next time.

It smelled strongly of ammonia to me, which was interesting as I can pick up ammonia in the smoke coming off a pipe and a cigar now. Well, at least it smells like ammonia, not sure what it really is.

I use the balsa filters in my Savs that take them. Use them once and pitch them. They are cheap. I buy them 300 at a time on Amazon with Prime. They are 6mm. I will be trying them in my MM cobs that take the 6mm. I’ve been using Stanwell 9mm’s in my pipes that take them, again, one use.

Same when I use the balsa filters. I'm sure it has to do with both saliva and the tobacco. The balsa filters are my favorite I think. They seem to work just as well crammed into any other 9mm filter pipe. I use them in filtered dr grabows, cobs, medico, and some other brands they weren't exactly made for. Currently I use them mostly when I'll be clinching alot. Like when mowing the lawn or doing some yard work. They help keep the moisture down and any gurgling away from me drooling down the stem haha. I tend to go without when I'm just sitting and relaxing. The flavors do change a bit but it is an enjoyable bowl with or without.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I will sometimes use those balsa filters in my Missouri Meerschaum pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Smoke #2 with the 6mm balsa. It’s great for a no worry smoke. I think though that through the virtue of removing moisture from the smoke some flavor is inevitably lost imo.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That might be partially due to your environment? I usually pull the balsa out after the second smoke . . . it is usually soaked. I like that I can toss it into the garden where it will break down.

Re-using a balsa or any filter for that matter is akin to not cleaning your pipe between smokes. Filters a dirt cheap and I see no reason to reuse them.

For those that enjoy using a filter (I do) and prefer balsa, you can buy balsa sticks online and make your own fairly easily. The cost conversion when I got some was I think 40 sav filters vs 960 homemade filters for the same price.

For those that enjoy using a filter (I do) and prefer balsa, you can buy balsa sticks online and make your own fairly easily. The cost conversion when I got some was I think 40 sav filters vs 960 homemade filters for the same price.
I've seen balsa sticks at hobby shops as well. No clue as to the price .

Top Bottom