What's new

Savile Row

I got my Savile Row 3118 yesterday and gave it its first run today when I got back from my archaeological field school.

WOW

Why do these brushes not get more attention? I know one won the Brush Wars and I haven't read a single negative thing about them.

As a Simpsons Fan who has also owned Rooneys, I can confidently say that this brush (and my Vie Long) compare very well. I hate to say it, but the build quality of my new 3118 far outlasses even the higher end Simpsons in terms of knot shape and hair sorting. No contest.

I might have a problem now...

It seems to me products are cyclical here. It may just be the nature of these forums. I remember QED soaps and SR brushes getting tons of attention. Right now Italian soaps seem to be hot, and Simpson brushes. I almost bought a SR five or six different times. :001_smile

I have owned my 3824 for neary 4 months now, and lover her more and more everyday! Ive tried all the big boy brand names, but this is where my heart is. That 18"er is suppposed to be a monster, let me know how she goes, because Im on the fence for one!! ENJOY!! :thumbup1:

I think those who know and use these brushes, quietly enjoy their ritualistic use :thumbup1:. I have the 3326 and love it :thumbup:. Not sure if I prefer it over the Shavemac or Simpson, but they are different in a good way. I find the backbone to be a little floppier than Simpson or Shavemac for sure, but very very soft tips, comparable to Simpson and Shavemac Super and Silvertips, respectively)

I've been contemplating my next brush purchase and I've thought about a Savile Row. Most of my experience has been with Simpson brushes thus far. I'd be curious to hear more thoughts on how you think your Savile Row compares to Simpson's best or 2-band hair in terms of things like softness, density, backbone, etc. Also, any chance you got post some pictures of it?

I will try to get some pictures up Friday I think. I'm outside for school from 8am to 5pm monday through thursday this summer so it will have to be then.

As of right now, I would say the hair is roughly between Simpsons Best and 3-band in terms of backbone with the softness being closer to the Super than Best. I would say the density is roughly similar to the Emperor or Berkeley, definitely not as dense as the 55, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

...and their older series of brushes, with fan shaped knots, were of similar quality and performance. It was a sad day when the SR208 and other SRxxx models were discontinued. :crying:

-- John Gehman

It seems to me products are cyclical here. It may just be the nature of these forums. I remember QED soaps and SR brushes getting tons of attention. Right now Italian soaps seem to be hot, and Simpson brushes. I almost bought a SR five or six different times. :001_smile

Yep, they used to be the flavor of the month, then it was Rooney, and now it is Simpson.

As of right now, I would say the hair is roughly between Simpsons Best and 3-band in terms of backbone with the softness being closer to the Super than Best. I would say the density is roughly similar to the Emperor or Berkeley, definitely not as dense as the 55, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks, Drew! I have an Emperor 1 two band and the 55 is one that I'm strongly considering. So, that's a helpful comparison in more than one respect. I'm also thinking about a Commodore 1. I've also thought about a Rooney Super Silvertip, but I think the knots are a little big, especially as it seems the general report is that they splay a bit more than a comparable Simpson. Anyways, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts about this Savile Row brush as you continue using it.

If you are used to the Emperor 1 and contemplating a 55, the Rooney will feel stupidly huge. I've owned all of the above and that was easily my conclusion.

In use, the 55 is really like a properly sized Rooney Style 1. The density is remarkably similar and I have found Rooney Super Silvertip to be almost identical to Simpsons Best. If anything, they are a little too dense for my taste.

Maybe this weekend I will do a thorough review. Though from my first experience, the review already posted are spot on. The 3118 really is a wonder of a brush, I could see it being an only brush without any problems.

They're outstanding... I too am blown away they don't get more attention. Charles has a great eye for design as well.

I only own Simpsons and Savile Row. The SR 3824 is just a great all around performer. It handles creams and soaps with ease. Just a joy to own and use. If I were limited to just 1 brush :)scared:) the Savile Row 3824 would be it.

Drew, interested in a comparison of the 3118 to your Berkeley and 55 after a few uses. I love the Berkeley and the 55 is under consideration for my next brush. My SR3722 is a beautiful, soft, quality brush, but I keep moving toward the smaller brushes.

Savile Row, Thäter, Shavemac they all look pretty similar to me. They might not be identical, but look at the handle styles, bulb knot shapes and hair feel and it's hard to not think they come from the same place. SR brushes tend to have a bit higher lofts, but you can get a custom Shavemac if that's a problem.

I predict the next trend around here is going to be German brushes :w00t:

Savile Row, Thäter, Shavemac they all look pretty similar to me. They might not be identical, but look at the handle styles, bulb knot shapes and hair feel and it's hard to not think they come from the same place. SR brushes tend to have a bit higher lofts, but you can get a custom Shavemac if that's a problem.

I predict the next trend around here is going to be German brushes :w00t:

+1

To my eye Shavemac and Saville look very similar.

Top Bottom