What's new

Savile Row = Shavemac?

Savile Row is certainly not an off-brand. It is a prestigious clothing and accessory brand located in London.
It is my understanding that Shavemac makes the shave brushes sold under the Savile Row brand. In the USA, the distributor is QED. The pricing for the Savile Row brushes is similar to that of the Shavemac brushes of similar size, hair type and handle design. Shavemac offers a wider range of handles than does Savile Row; some of them are a little more expensive.

I have a Savile Row 24mm silvertip and it is probably the finest brush I have ever used. I would love to get one in 26 mm. It is one of the few brushes that has a face feel so nice that I could use it for face lathering. My skin is too sensitive to face lather with most brushes, even most silvertip badgers.

I have a Shavemac finest that Rudy set for me and it looks very similar to those Saville Row knots. It's a fantastic brush.

It is my understanding that Shavemac makes the shave brushes sold under the Savile Row brand. In the USA, the distributor is QED
This is exactly what I meant; thanks for saying it more clearly.

I will likely have to try a Savile Row. Is QED the only place to get one?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As far as I know, Savile Row is simply a street in Mayfair, London where many traditional bespoke made to measure tailors were based, and a 'Savile Row shirt' is simply a colloquial term for any shirt made by any company residing on that street. These days fewer high end tailors remain and many cheaper stores simply have a shop front there for branding reasons, while selling ready to wear clothing in other stores and even supermarkets. There are brands with names which are derived from the Savile Row street name, such as 'The Savile Row Company' but to my knowledge they are not especially prestigious and I am not aware of any tailoring company called simply 'Savile Row'. As for the Savile Row shaving brush, I have never seen one for sale in the UK, in Savile Row or elsewhere, and would not know where to acquire one. I have no idea where they are made or by whom but I doubt they are made in the UK and certainly not in Savile Row; I would not be surprised if their only connection to the area is the name. I could be very wrong here and am happy to be corrected.

If you live in the USA, then QED is the exclusive distributor of Savile Row brushes. I do not know who sells them elsewhere.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac made the Savile Row brushes exclusively for QED. When I visited them in 2013, I saw quite a lot of them stored in a cabinet (couldn't take a photo, though). I believe they still make them. At the time when I visited they made them only in three band silvertip as far as I recall, but then, this is a long time ago.

As far as I know, Savile Row is simply a street in Mayfair, London where many traditional bespoke made to measure tailors were based, and a 'Savile Row shirt' is simply a colloquial term for any shirt made by any company residing on that street. These days fewer high end tailors remain and many cheaper stores simply have a shop front there for branding reasons, while selling ready to wear clothing in other stores and even supermarkets. There are brands with names which are derived from the Savile Row street name, such as 'The Savile Row Company' but to my knowledge they are not especially prestigious and I am not aware of any tailoring company called simply 'Savile Row'. As for the Savile Row shaving brush, I have never seen one for sale in the UK, in Savile Row or elsewhere, and would not know where to acquire one. I have no idea where they are made or by whom but I doubt they are made in the UK and certainly not in Savile Row; I would not be surprised if their only connection to the area is the name. I could be very wrong here and am happy to be corrected.
Sums it up pretty well, except its a "saville row suit" that the tailors on Saville Row are famous for. For shirts its Jermyn Street that the high end custom tailors reside.
There is a The Saville Row Company, but its lower end, tradea off the name of Saville Row and sells a lot on TK Maxx (discount store). They don't sell shaving gear in the UK though, so it must be a separate USA brand or product line.

Top Bottom