What's new

Savile Row brush question

I'm a new wet shaver and recently purchased what I think will turn out to be a "starter" brush--here are the stats:
Savile Row 101
Pure Badger shaving brush 3¾"
Handmade shaving brush with 100% pure badger hair. Mock-ivory lathe-turned resin handle. 3¾" tall.

Important measurements:
• Handle height = 45mm
• Hair height = 50mm
• Overall height = 95mm
• Knot size (hair width at base) = 20mm

I've been using the brush for 3-4 days and really like the shaving experience so far. I've been using some Proraso in the tube and some Trumpers Sandalwood cream, both of which I really like. I have a Merkur Vision on delivery as I write this, so have been using my Mach 3 Turbo till it arrives, with OK results--at least no cuts!

Here's my question--while I like the SR101, the tips feel a bit prickly on my face, and I'm not sure if this is what to expect from a good shave brush, or if its more about the quality to be expected of a brush with "pure" badger hair. I'm willing to stick it out for now, but wonder if a SilverTip (read = "more expensive") brush will make a big enough difference in this area to notice.

Any advice out there?

Hi mrob,

What you describe is characteristic of a "pure badger" brush. As you spend more money on "best", "super", and "silvertip" you tend to get softer tips, though there are exceptions. Some of the super-badger brushes in the Savile Row collection are quite reasonably priced, and soft to boot. I have a couple, including the SR-208, as well as some silvertips.

That being said, the ability to whip up a solid lather isn't that different between a $20 brush and a $100 brush.

Hope this helps.

Scotto said:
Hi mrob,

What you describe is characteristic of a "pure badger" brush. As you spend more money on "best", "super", and "silvertip" you tend to get softer tips, though there are exceptions. Some of the super-badger brushes in the Savile Row collection are quite reasonably priced, and soft to boot. I have a couple, including the SR-208, as well as some silvertips.

That being said, the ability to whip up a solid lather isn't that different between a $20 brush and a $100 brush.

Hope this helps.

------------
Yes--thanks! Its what I expected, but always helpful to get an expert opinion. :redface:

The SR101 whips up a nice lather, its just a tad scratchy on my face as I transfer the lather from brush to face. I think its fine as I develop my technique, but I wonder if it makes sense to go ahead and make the jump to a SilverTip of about the same size as the 101 and not bother with the in-between grades of hair?

S

shavingrace

QED's 4.3" Savile Row Super Badger is only $59, and it's an excellent brush--you get a lot of value for money with either Savile Row or Vulfix (both manufactured on the Isle of Man).

If you're absolutely set on silvertip, than the Savile Row models are very attractive in both aesthetics and value. I have a 3722 & 3824 (my favorite handle styles of the Savile Row silvertips), and they're great.

Another silvertip line would be Shavemac -- great quality & value in my opinion for these as well.

Top Bottom