What's new

Savile Row 3326 Silvertip - A Review

Hello All,

I have had my Savile Row 3226 silvertip brush from QED now for more than two weeks now, and have had an opportunity to run it through a series of lathering scenarios and comparisons to my other Savile Rows.

This is the 3226 as received, unbloomed:

full

This is the 3226 after one use, bloomed:

full

The “wet dog” smell disappeared after one use. Not a problem.

These are the Three Amigos:

full

The little guy is a Savile Row SR11 pure badger, the medium size one is an SR24 super (best) badger and the new arrival is the 3226, the big boy. Some of you may recognize my SR24. This is the brush I subjected to various torture tests during the past year. It is still going strong, but deserves a much needed rest.

Here are the specs on the three:

SR11

Head Width: 51mm (2”)
Knot: 21mm (0.8”)
Handle: 38mm (1.5”)
Bristle: 38mm (1.5”)
Overall: 76mm (3”)
Weight: 1.4 ozs

SR24

Head Width: 63mm (2.5”)
Knot: 22mm (0.8”)
Handle: 51mm (2”)
Bristle: 51mm (2”)
Overall: 102mm (4”)
Weight: 2.1 ozs

Head Width: 76mm (3”)
Knot: 26mm (1”)
Handle: 70mm (2.75”)
Bristle: 63mm (2.5”)
Overall: 133mm (5.25”)
Weight: 4.1 ozs

This is an aerial shot of the Three Amigos:

full

And finally, a pix of the Three Amigos in their dress whites:

full

The 3226 is an aesthetically pleasing brush which looks handsome on one’s counter. The long handle is especially comfortable, even for the largest of hands. The long handle balances well in the hand when the bristle head is saturated with water and lather.

The bristles of this silvertip provide the best of both worlds. The moderately stiff bristles mimic a pure badger for a gentle scrubbing effect, while the soft tips of the bristles emulate a best (or super) badger providing a pleasant massaging effect on the beard.

The dual-action bristles allow the 3226 to easily generate lather on top of a hard soap, a hard cream, soft cream or stick. The large head generates generous amounts of lather without using a large amount of product. The head retains heat and lather enough for multiple passes. It is not too big to lather directly on top of soaps and hard creams (Proraso, Cowboy Soap, St Charles, etc.) or to whip up lather in a bowl.

In summary, the 3226 feels good in my hand, feels good on my face, lathers good, looks good, and I feel I paid a fair price for it. So I am happy with my purchase.

If you are looking for a silvertip at a very reasonable price, look no further. This silvertip is a superb brush for the money and proudly wears the label of Savile Row.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Shavemacs (i.e. Savile Rows) are getting more and more popular day after day..........
And there is absolutely a very good reason for this:
they are by far the best value for price brushes on the whole internet (or the whole world if you want...), bar none!!

Peter

Richard,

Thanks for the review. That brush is on my Christmas list, but don't know if Santa will have the funds left to deliver! I remember the middle guy...the one that got the "hair dryer" torture test! BTW, I do use a hair dryer on all of my brushes, but on the cool setting!

Randy

Hello Randy,

Yes, that's the brush: shave oil torture chamber, pill box torture chamber, hair dryer torture. He is still going strong, but deserves a well-earned rest :smile: !

I didn't have the heart to subject him to a jojoba oil bath - I think he would have died:sad: !

This 26mm knot 3326 I think is perfect as one's first brush: not too small and not too big, with good lathering capabilities on soft cream, hard cream and soaps. BTW, the cream I used in the photos is Salter Mint.

Cheers,
Richard
Very Satisfied SR Owner in TX

Great review Richard. Love those dress whites!!:jump:

I've just worked my 3126 into my rotation so I've actually only used it 3 times I think. It's a great brush at a good value. Hard to argue with Dr. P!

Jerry

It looks like the Shavemacs (i.e. Savile Rows) are getting more and more popular day after day..........
And there is absolutely a very good reason for this:
they are by far the best value for price brushes on the whole internet (or the whole world if you want...), bar none!!

Peter

Forgive me, but are Shavemacs and Savile Rows the same?
I have a Vulfix (my first) and love it, but I have been eyeballing the Shavemac. Care to give a brief rundown on brands and quality...

Top Bottom