What's new

Savile row 3118 vs Simpsons 55

I absolutely love my wee scot, I'm in a small brush mode now. I want something to compliment my wee.

something just a "wee" bigger........

they both sport an 18mm knot, the sr is silvertip, vs the Simpsons best hair.
sr has a 48mm loft vs Simpsons 41mm loft.

ive owned the sr3824 in silvertip and loved it, but it was too big for me.
i love the wee's best hair, but hated the best hair in the chubby 2.

I exclusively face lather 90% arko stick, 10% Gada shave creams.

just kinda torn really, any real world experience or pics is welcomed. Thanx!!

The Silvertip in the 3118 is great, just like the 3824, but less dense. The 55 has Simpson's Best hair, which I really like, and it is not as dense as a Chubby, so the knot has good flow and the tips feel soft on your face. It is more dense than the 3118. For this choice, I prefer the 55.

Hmmmm, from a members opinion I hold highly, especially for brushes, u made my choice even harder!!! Lol
U got pics of either?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I had a 3118 and sold it. Although I have not owned a 55, I do own a 56 and it is one of my favorite brushes.

Here are a couple of pics:
$photo.jpg

In the bottom pic, the 3118 is on top and 55 is below.
$photo(1).jpg

You can see that the 3118 has a higher loft and lower density. I prefer the lower loft and higher density of the 55. I also like the 55's hybrid fan better than the 3118's bulb shaped knot.

I'm thinking that if you have a small knot, e.g., 18 mm, I would want the extra-short loft to maintain sufficient backbone. I go 55. Also, I have a 58 in best and it is excellent.

Great posts Bob. Ihave often wondered about smaller brushes just for the heck of it. I remember a number of years ago our own Lathermeister guenron did a write up of the 3118. I believe he and I nicknamed it Il Bambino. He really liked it. I have to say though my reaction to your photos was an immediate doubletake on the density of the 55. Usually these little brushes are too thinly packed to look promising. The 55 and its neat looking hybrid shape may put it on my list. I just have to get that Da Vinci 293 here safe and sound first.

Cheers, Todd

Don't get me wrong, I like Il Bambino just fine. It does a nice lathering job (though it's not as good as it's big brother the 3824). That said, I'll take a 50 series brush over any other. Perfect handle for me, and the knots are the right combination of dense and tall to give me a scrubby brush that lathers like crazy.

I have a SR 3118 and a vintage Simpsons 54 (almost the same specs as the current 55)...both are fantastic brushes. If you like super soft tips, the 3118 is your guy. If you prefer a bit more backbone then the Simpsons is slightly more dense plus the shorter loft will give you that. The handle I have to give the edge to the Simpsons as it is a near perfect design (assuming you don't have huge hands). I think you will love either one. I only have small brushes in my rotation and also exclusively face lather.

Thank you again for the nice replies Bob and Vito. While I love the Savile Rows(I have an original 3824. What a brush!) I have to admit that hybrid fan knot on the 55 makes me take notice. Must resist.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom