What's new

Savage Chronicles...

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Went to the range today to try and zero :) Centered the scope in the middle of its adjustments and took a shot and watched it slam into the 200 yard berm. Oh, thats right... 20 MOA rail. :facep: Come down 6 mils and try again. 8” high and 4” right. Come down 1.9mils and 1.3 left and take shot#3. Boom! Dead center and 1” low. Fired 2 more and confirmed elevation. I’ve got a left to right dispersion going on but new gun and questionable ammo so I am happy with the first attempt! Oh and recoil? Thought it would knock me off the bench... actually just a LOUD boom and the sensation of a hard shove. I can feeling it but the 338LM is FAR from a punishing round! Kicks about as hard as my 6.5CM. I think with a good can this rifle will be a pussycat.
B9D54F8C-A9BD-4928-AE5B-2B6D3103A8A5.jpeg
Time to clean and I’ll try again tomorrow! The wind was brutal today. The big magnum didn’t seem to mind much! 🤣

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Very nice
It will take time and patience.
But you will get it right where you want it.

nikonNUT

Very nice
It will take time and patience.
But you will get it right where you want it.

Thank you! I’m sure once I just need to figure out what this one likes as far as how much pressure, bipod loading, etc. I think it will be a tack driver when it’s all said and done! I was just tickled to get it on target in 3 shots! Cheaper you see! 🤣🤣🤣

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thank you! I’m sure once I just need to figure out what this one likes as far as how much pressure, bipod loading, etc. I think it will be a tack driver when it’s all said and done! I was just tickled to get it on target in 3 shots! Cheaper you see! 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, not bad for a windy day. 3 shots, 30 bucks... Cha ching! :)

nikonNUT

BBC
I would want to see that with my own eyes... just sayin. :)
Me too! Internet posts must be taken with a grain of salt for sure!
Yeah, not bad for a windy day. 3 shots, 30 bucks... Cha ching! :)
3 shots, 9 bucks! 300gr SMK Sellier and Bellot goes for $29.99/10 rounds but the trade off is it is dirty as all get out! Really want to get the Magneto Speed on the rifle and see what kind of ES and SD the Sellier and Bellot offers! I hear the brass is very good for reloading so that little project isn't far off.

Last edited:
Went to the range today to try and zero :) Centered the scope in the middle of its adjustments and took a shot and watched it slam into the 200 yard berm. Oh, thats right... 20 MOA rail. :facep: Come down 6 mils and try again. 8” high and 4” right. Come down 1.9mils and 1.3 left and take shot#3. Boom! Dead center and 1” low. Fired 2 more and confirmed elevation. I’ve got a left to right dispersion going on but new gun and questionable ammo so I am happy with the first attempt! Oh and recoil? Thought it would knock me off the bench... actually just a LOUD boom and the sensation of a hard shove. I can feeling it but the 338LM is FAR from a punishing round! Kicks about as hard as my 6.5CM. I think with a good can this rifle will be a pussycat.
View attachment 1095075Time to clean and I’ll try again tomorrow! The wind was brutal today. The big magnum didn’t seem to mind much! 🤣

Its only going to get better:)

nikonNUT

Getting better! First 5 shot group...
5E306F2F-F629-4AF7-83A2-2432A9F1F102.png

That one flier screwed me but I’m still happy so far. Cut it short as I forgot to bring bolt lug grease and don’t wanna wear things out prematurely. Oh and I tried the free recoil method today! Once... What a HUGHLY terrible idea a.ka. OUCH!!! 🤣🤣🤣

OkieStubble

Getting better! First 5 shot group...
View attachment 1095475
That one flier screwed me but I’m still happy so far. Cut it short as I forgot to bring bolt lug grease and don’t wanna wear things out prematurely. Oh and I tried the free recoil method today! Once... What a HUGHLY terrible idea a.ka. OUCH!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Are you doing a barrel break in with cleanings?

nikonNUT

Are you doing a barrel break in with cleanings?
I am! Fire a shot, clean, and repeat. I am 10 rounds into a 25 round regime. Then I’ll fire a 5 shot group with no cleaning in between shots and see what the barrel tells me a far as fouling goes.i know the MSR-10 took about 100 rounds to settle down.

OkieStubble

I am! Fire a shot, clean, and repeat. I am 10 rounds into a 25 round regime. Then I’ll fire a 5 shot group with no cleaning in between shots and see what the barrel tells me a far as fouling goes.i know the MSR-10 took about 100 rounds to settle down.

Excellent.

martym

With mine we shot several different brands of ammunition. Then when we found the brand it liked we chose different grains. Mine prefers the Hornady 150 grain SST.

nikonNUT

So
I took the Wicked Witch out again today. Nice temps, sun dropping low in the the sky, and a gentle breeze. Got behind it and pulled it close (same amount of pressure as the rifle weighs) and the leaned hard into the bipod. The result!
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-04 19_56_04.002489.PNG

The last three shots clumped together nicely! I'm loving this rifle more all the time! Amazed at the lack of recoil, the accuracy, and the sound! :lol1: Just a LOUD pop followed by the supersonic crack echoing across the range (valley). And in case anyone is wondering I DID go the wrong way dialing the scope! :facep:I need to check zero again and trim the ballistics software and the zero range but I can't wait to take this thing down to the Triple C Range and stretch it out! According to Hornady I should be able to dial for a mile using their 285gr ELD-M round with a little travel left!

Last edited:

martym

Almost there
You are learning how she likes to be held and squeezed.
And you are learning how to control your breathing when holding her.
This has been very interesting and entertaining.

nikonNUT

Almost there
You are learning how she likes to be held and squeezed.
And you are learning how to control your breathing when holding her.
This has been very interesting and entertaining.
Indeed! Always fun learning a new platform and its ins and outs. Breathing, bi-pod loading (I'm still getting some hop on a carpeted bench. I need to try prone.), using the thumb rest (Who knew! :lol: ), and the fact that big-ish magnums aren't as scary as they are made out to be. I think by the time I work thru this case of ammo I'll be feeling confident! Time to take this stuff to the "A day at the range" thread. I will be bore scoping the action and barrel to check the pic rail threads and how the barrel is progressing but if there aren't any changes I won't bore ya'll! :)

Top Bottom