What's new

Saturday Smackdown: Rapira Voskhod Vs Gillette Nacet

proxy.php

Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!
(Mood music)

Blind Test #2: Rapira’s Voskhod Teflon Coated vs Gillette Nacet Stainless

Last week’s smackdown was Rapira Super Stainless Chrome vs Rapira Swedish Supersteel.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...pira-Swedish-Supersteel?p=7741045#post7741045

Respect to rodmonster, oscroft, lucabrassi, poikkeus and so many others for taking the time to share all your blade testing to educate us all.

Match Rules :
Every day this week I shaved each side of my face using one blade on either side to directly compare the results to see if there’s really any difference between these blades, (both said to be good blades). I only used one side (the side of the slim with the number) so as to quickly judge if it dulls. I loaded them into two Gillette slims set to #5, mixed them around until I couldn’t tell them apart, and then put a rubber band on one handle to identify it as razor “A”, and the other slim is razor “B” .
As a side note on blind testing, the idea is to compare two different blades by loading them into two razors with the exact same head. You don’t know what blade goes into either razor, but you mark one handle so you can track which is razor A and which is razor B. You then shave one half of your face for a few days with razor A and the other side with razor B and compare the performance. Everything should be the same, except for using two different blades.

Details, details:
Beard: thick, dark and difficult to shave ATG. BBS remains elusive.
Passes: WTG, XTG, XTG other way, + light touch ups. Some ATG where possible.
Razor = Gillette Slim #5 setting
Brush = Walmart Wilkinson Sword Boar Hair
Lather = Arko soap stick and hot water
Aftershave = Witch Hazel + Aloe Gel mix

*** Shave 1 - Monday Night ***
Razor A: (right side)
sharpness score: 9 smoothness score: 9
2 weepers.
Shave rating: DFS
Notes: This blade may be a tad sharper & smoother, but almost equal? Skin still irritated from shaving too close two days ago, not ideal testing conditions.

Razor B: (left side)
sharpness score: 8.5 smoothness score: 8.5
2 weepers.
Notes: Hard to tell these two apart. Both excellent! Nothing like last weeks comparison where it was so obvious from the start.

*** Shave 2 - Tuesday Night ***
sharpness score: 8 smoothness score: 8
No weepers.
Notes: Still hard to tell these two apart, but strangely this doesn’t feel as sharp as I remember it did yesterday. Does not seem to shave as close as the left. Both good blades and will be interesting to see how they hold up over time with repeated use. A close and comfortable shave. Skin still recovering from irritating shave 3 days ago.

No weepers.
Notes: I like this blade even better than yesterday, and better than the right side. Feels like an A grade, brand new blade, as good as any GSB.

*** Shave 3 - Thursday Morn ***
sharpness score: 6.5 smoothness score: 7
No weepers.
Shave rating: SAS
Notes:
Still smooth, but right is clearly duller. Seemed to tug a couple times on my cheek on the first pass, then cut well on the next passes. But takes more passes to get the job done. Seems sharp enough to shave again with it tomorrow. Reminds me of the Rapira Chrome I tested last week. I estimate if using both sides this blade can give 3 days of good shaves. Wouldn’t bother buying 100 of these (oops too late). Better than Dorco, maybe a good match would be a Derby Extra?

No weepers.
Notes:
This is an A grade blade , shaving close and comfortable. Left clearly better has hardly dulled at all, and shaves like a new blade. A 3 pass shave gives DFS results. My guess is this is the Nacet because people reviewed the blade to shave like a GSB (also costs more). I estimate this blade could give 5 days of top grade shaves. Would buy a 100 of these.

*** Shave 4 - Friday morning ***
sharpness score: 5 smoothness score: 5
No weepers.
Notes: Tugging and dragging this morning on my upper lip so I switched to the other new edge, not wanting to mess around and to get the job done before work this morning. The sharpness of this blade seems to decline quickly, especially in comparison to the other blade which is shaving like a new blade.

No weepers.
Notes: Love this blade. Keeps delivering excellent consistent results.

Conclusion: Blade B - Winner by K.O.
* Gillette Nacet Stainless*
The champion blade from this smackdown lived up to all the positive reviews I’ve read about it. I’m sure happy I’ve got 99 more of these winning blades in my stash. The Voskhod is not a bad blade, but my impression is that it's only going to give 2-3 day's worth of shaves on a harsh beard like I have. Sure the Nacet costs about $8 more /100 pack but likely gives twice the number of shaves per blade. And as always YMMV…

Last edited:
Interesting results. I have a large stash of both blades but routinely just change blades after 3 shaves. I may need to try leaving the Nacets in my razor longer.

Thanks for doing that comparison! I've not tried Nacet blades yet, but I do have one in my sampler pack. I liked the Voskhod, but it didn't make it through 3 shaves.

Curious on the price comparison. From eBay, I see a 100 pack of Voskhod at about $9.90 with shipping and Nacet at about $12.95 with shipping. So about $3 difference. Are you looking at a specific seller/store?

Thanks, again!

Good review, and fun. Keep em coming.

Voskhods are a very comfortable blade to me, but I find them to be not especially sharp. I have a hundred or so, I now save for my wife. I think that on finer hair (or beard) they are a fantastic blade.

The Nacet has recently become one of my favorite blades. It has sort of taken the place of the Silver Blue for me. They are a perfect combination of sharp and smooth.

Nacet crushes Voskkod. Nothing unexpected here. Nacet is awfully good.

I'd love to see a face-off between Nacet and GSB! :w00t:

I don't do the whole side by side comparison thing, but when I use a Nacet one week, then a Silver Blue the next, except for maybe the slightest nod going to Nacet for smoothness, there's really no difference between them for me. My settling factor was price. Anywhere I order that carries both, always has Nacet way cheaper, and since they both give up 14 shaves for me, not sacrificing anything in comfort or sharpness for a solid week anyway, Nacet takes it.

Old thread, but relevant to my experience today. Voskhod was my favourite blade, til today... Tried a Nacet for the first time, and for me it's a touch smoother than the Voskhod, and sharper. It's given me closeness in my shave that I just could not achieve with the Voskhod. This is in my Razorock GC 84 OC. If you are fan of Voskhod, Nacet may be worth a try...

Good to know. I just moved from a 7:00 Green to a Nacet and either the 7:00 was done (after 4 shaves) or the Nacet was just that much better. I will be trying the Voskhod next.

After reading up on the nacet, it seems commonly mentioned gillette Rubie is even better - just ordered some to add to my collection that will take me far too long to get through! I also have 7 o'clock green, but tried it as complete beginner. It's also on my list to retry...

Wow, I like that. The whole presentation was fantastic.
Blind Test #2: Rapira’s Voskhod Teflon Coated vs Gillette Nacet Stainless

Last week’s smackdown was Rapira Super Stainless Chrome vs Rapira Swedish Supersteel.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...pira-Swedish-Supersteel?p=7741045#post7741045

Respect to rodmonster, oscroft, lucabrassi, poikkeus and so many others for taking the time to share all your blade testing to educate us all.

Match Rules :
Every day this week I shaved each side of my face using one blade on either side to directly compare the results to see if there’s really any difference between these blades, (both said to be good blades). I only used one side (the side of the slim with the number) so as to quickly judge if it dulls. I loaded them into two Gillette slims set to #5, mixed them around until I couldn’t tell them apart, and then put a rubber band on one handle to identify it as razor “A”, and the other slim is razor “B” .
As a side note on blind testing, the idea is to compare two different blades by loading them into two razors with the exact same head. You don’t know what blade goes into either razor, but you mark one handle so you can track which is razor A and which is razor B. You then shave one half of your face for a few days with razor A and the other side with razor B and compare the performance. Everything should be the same, except for using two different blades.

Details, details:
Beard: thick, dark and difficult to shave ATG. BBS remains elusive.
Passes: WTG, XTG, XTG other way, + light touch ups. Some ATG where possible.
Razor = Gillette Slim #5 setting
Brush = Walmart Wilkinson Sword Boar Hair
Lather = Arko soap stick and hot water
Aftershave = Witch Hazel + Aloe Gel mix

*** Shave 1 - Monday Night ***
2 weepers.
Notes: This blade may be a tad sharper & smoother, but almost equal? Skin still irritated from shaving too close two days ago, not ideal testing conditions.

sharpness score: 8.5 smoothness score: 8.5
2 weepers.
Notes: Hard to tell these two apart. Both excellent! Nothing like last weeks comparison where it was so obvious from the start.

*** Shave 2 - Tuesday Night ***
No weepers.
Notes: Still hard to tell these two apart, but strangely this doesn’t feel as sharp as I remember it did yesterday. Does not seem to shave as close as the left. Both good blades and will be interesting to see how they hold up over time with repeated use. A close and comfortable shave. Skin still recovering from irritating shave 3 days ago.

No weepers.
Notes: I like this blade even better than yesterday, and better than the right side. Feels like an A grade, brand new blade, as good as any GSB.

*** Shave 3 - Thursday Morn ***
sharpness score: 6.5 smoothness score: 7
No weepers.
Shave rating: SAS
Notes:
Still smooth, but right is clearly duller. Seemed to tug a couple times on my cheek on the first pass, then cut well on the next passes. But takes more passes to get the job done. Seems sharp enough to shave again with it tomorrow. Reminds me of the Rapira Chrome I tested last week. I estimate if using both sides this blade can give 3 days of good shaves. Wouldn’t bother buying 100 of these (oops too late). Better than Dorco, maybe a good match would be a Derby Extra?

No weepers.
Notes:
This is an A grade blade , shaving close and comfortable. Left clearly better has hardly dulled at all, and shaves like a new blade. A 3 pass shave gives DFS results. My guess is this is the Nacet because people reviewed the blade to shave like a GSB (also costs more). I estimate this blade could give 5 days of top grade shaves. Would buy a 100 of these.

*** Shave 4 - Friday morning ***
sharpness score: 5 smoothness score: 5
No weepers.
Notes: Tugging and dragging this morning on my upper lip so I switched to the other new edge, not wanting to mess around and to get the job done before work this morning. The sharpness of this blade seems to decline quickly, especially in comparison to the other blade which is shaving like a new blade.

No weepers.
Notes: Love this blade. Keeps delivering excellent consistent results.

Conclusion: Blade B - Winner by K.O.
* Gillette Nacet Stainless*
The champion blade from this smackdown lived up to all the positive reviews I’ve read about it. I’m sure happy I’ve got 99 more of these winning blades in my stash. The Voskhod is not a bad blade, but my impression is that it's only going to give 2-3 day's worth of shaves on a harsh beard like I have. Sure the Nacet costs about $8 more /100 pack but likely gives twice the number of shaves per blade. And as always YMMV…

No argument with your conclusion. I think you’re right in expecting 5 shaves from the Nacet and that makes up for the price difference.

Gillette Nacet is one of my favorites. Especially when available from IB for around 12 dollars occasionally.

Top Bottom