What's new

Saturday Night Pipe

Good evening, Gents,

Just sitting out here on the porch on a love, warm, October evening with sounds of high school football in the air just a mile or so away. I've got a smooth blend of Smoker's Pride black cavendish and cherry going in my 1940's Barclay-Rex Apple and was wondering if anyone else was enjoying a bit o'the briar. :detective::sailor:

I finished one about 2 hours ago but was thinking about going out for another. I had a Balkan Sasieni in my pipe at the time.

I went to a fall party at relatives house last night. I endulged in some aged McClellands 5100 in a 47 Dunhill.

Today, I just finished another pipeful of G.L. Pease Blackpoint.
Nice! I've yet to try any GLP. I've been on a budget tobacco kick lately and am really rather enjoying them.

Late morning I enjoyed a pipeful of Lane's MV-1000, i.e. Captain Black 'Gold' but without all the goop, in my Peterson Kapet '6'.. It's an excellent smoke.

Last edited:
The weather here has been too ****ty to go outside and enjoy a good pipe.

Don't have that problem here (apart from the bad weather)...Mrs Pumpkin is much more accepting of pipe tobacco than I ever thought she'd be :thumbup1:

Nice! I've yet to try any GLP

Personally, I'm finding the GLP blends a bit too heavy on the Latakia for my (current) taste.

Been enjoying Dunhill DLNR and C&D's Virginia Gentleman in a variety of pipes over the weekend :thumbup:

Balkan Sasieni is a good blend. I found Squadron Leader and Balkan Sasieni to have similar attributes. Not exactly the same, but Balkan Sasieni is easier to come by.

Balkan Sasieni I just can't smoke... I tried it a few times but there was some soapy flavor that just didn't work for me, maybe I got a bad batch. I love 3 Oaks Syrian though, and Dunhill EMP. Pease makes some great English blends as well. For me, Syrian is the queen of Latakia's though.

Last edited:
All I could get my hands on in the heat of the moment was a bit of Captain Black White but enjoyed it anyway. Smoked outside in my grandfather's 1936 R&H Gold Star Briar. :thumbup1:

All I could get my hands on in the heat of the moment was a bit of Captain Black White but enjoyed it anyway. Smoked outside in my grandfather's 1936 R&H Gold Star Briar. :thumbup1:
Well played!

This evening I had a pipeful of Lane's RLP-6 which is more or less Capt. Black 'White' without the goop. A good smoke but I'm not sure I like it more than MV-1000 which is Captain Black 'Gold' and definitely not more than my 50/50 blend of Lane BCA and 1-Q which is Captain Black 'Blue'. If I had to pick only one blend for the rest of my pipe smoking days, that would be it.

Cheers!

Tonight's pipe was a Torino Bulldog filled with a mishmash, frankenblend of a bunch of tobaccos that I didn't like individually. If I remember correctly it consisted predominantly of MacBaren Mixture and Dan's Blue Note. There were some other burley blends mixed in. Still not a great smoke but better than the individual parts.

The best part was was sitting outside in my shirtsleeves on a mid-November evening enjoying the quiet, reading, puffing a pipe, and having a kitty cuddled up in my lap.

Smoking an enjoyable bowl of Esoterica Penzance as I type. It's reputation is deserved, as far as I'm concerned.

Big fan of the Balkan Saseini. I find myself smoking it very often, especially when I don't feel like waiting for another, moister blend to dry out for 15 minutes. Balkan Saseini's moisture content out of the tin is just perfect.

Esoterica's Penzance is great for a big incense-y kick. Delicious, but not for all-day use, imho. Their Margate is my go-to blend. Some of the same character as the Penzance, but a bit more balanced.

All that said, I've been on a VA/Burley blend kick for the past week: smoking my own blend of a cube-cut Burley and a stoved red VA or Orlik Golden Sliced.

This thread inspired me to smoke a bowl of all I have on hand...Captain Black White. Not the best but it did the trick. :thumbup1:
Good for you! My housemate smokes the Capt. and I smoke Lane's RLP-6 which is basically the White without the additives. My go-to blend is a 50/50 mix of Lane BCA and 1-Q.

That said, with it being a little chilly and rainy today I will probably be out on the porch this evening with Britt's Balkan from Rich at 4Noggins.

I'm smoking a bowl of Balkan Sasieni as I type, in a old Comoy Everyman. Must try one of G.L. Pease's tobaccos soon. He used to blend for the late lamented Druquer's Pipe in Berkeley, Ca, lo the many years ago...

Jeff

Top Bottom