What's new

Saturday morning routine

I have a new routine where I just do my honing on Saturday mornings. Arks and balsa.

I've narrowed down my razor rotation to just four. You can see them from left to right in the cigar box.

A bone scaled 7/8 new Wacker, a green scaled 1960's Filarmonic #14, a curved redwood scaled La Forme, which is really a Dovo Bismarck blade, and on the far right an actual Bismarck.

Monday to Friday it's just strop and shave.

Saturday morning I put the Fili and the La Forme on the convex black translucent with ballistol.

The Bismarck on the far right is a Method edge. I don't give it daily balsa though. Instead, after receiving some helpful advice from Slash, I wait until Saturday morning and give it a big catch up on the .5u, the .25u and the 1.u balsas.

The Wacker will be an ark edge, but not yet. It just came back from doc226 with a lovely jnat edge and I'm enjoying the heck out of that as long as I can.

Soon, it will be the black translucent ark for the first three and diamond balsa for the fourth. Every Saturday, whether they need it or not.

Fireworks out over the water tonight. Celebrating British Columbia day. It's summer in the high latitudes of Canada.

Aloha to all my shaving brothers.

IMG_0226.jpg

Awesome routine! I should probably start doing similar. At the moment I have a handful of razor that I have no clue when I last honed. I’ll start keeping a little journal of my honing and blade use.

Whatever works brother. I'm just doing a few on 200k balsa then linen and horse before a shave the day before. I usually do this after work and before outside chores. Sometimes it's just linen and horse. Anyway, this way the next morning everything is ready to go. Maybe we are different in that I do not follow a rotational razor use.

Yup, that's one of the best things about this. The most satisfaction is from having your own way of doing things. There's no objective best. This has to be one of the most subjective hobbies out there. You eventually realize that, and let go of seeking the "objective truth".

Maybe it's like that with many things.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yup, that's one of the best things about this. The most satisfaction is from having your own way of doing things. There's no objective best. This has to be one of the most subjective hobbies out there. You eventually realize that, and let go of seeking the "objective truth".

Maybe it's like that with many things.
Yes! I usually do my daily maintenance before bed. Takes about ten minutes. Beautiful razors and strops by the way. I see you are into quality.

Steve, it really is a meditation/zen thing, yes? I find the razor maintenance, a calming event that I look forward to.

Top Bottom