What's new

Sardines-Is it love or hate?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just ate some sardines. Man those things are good and eating them brought a lot of memories back. Dad liked to pack sardines in our lunch baskets when we went fishing down at Port Aransas on the Gulf coast. Do y'all like them or hate them?

$King Oscar.jpg$Crown Prince.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can't even use them for bait. Just the smell of them makes me want to vomit. I can tolerate a lot of smells........something about Sardines.

I like them. Eat them right out of the can. But only at home, and not when I'm going to be leaving the house. (I don't like "Have you been fishing?" question.)

Sardines are also good for your 72 hour bag, or in by neighborhood the hurricane supply.

I can't even use them for bait. Just the smell of them makes me want to vomit. I can tolerate a lot of smells........something about Sardines.

I never thought I would have something in common with a Bigfoot. I stand them. I see no point to them. Anchovies either.

Best sardines are fresh caught with Italian herbs and cooked in fine olive oil. But if you want canned, try-
Nuri Spiced Portuguese Sardines. You won't want anything else.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 192

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I used to use them as bait for raccoons when I was running a trap line.

Smoked oysters on the other hand....

They arn't bad. Im giving up tuna because its so high in mercury so I thought I would try sardines since they have alot of omega 3, low cost, and a good source of protein(and much much lower in mercury).

I get the ones packed in water since I think the oil they use is questionable(especially the really cheap ones). I may add some of my own olive oil or add hot sauce and I have a decent snack.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They arn't bad. Im giving up tuna because its so high in mercury so I thought I would try sardines since they have alot of omega 3, low cost, and a good source of protein(and much much lower in mercury).

I get the ones packed in water since I think the oil they use is questionable(especially the really cheap ones). I may add some of my own olive oil or add hot sauce and I have a decent snack.

+1 on the water. Hot sauce is a must. Although we used get the ones packed in mustard, which were tasty.

Hate. The thought of eating fish bones grosses me completely out. I can't eat canned salmon or mackerel for the same reason. Nasty nasty nasty.

Fresh, never canned. Anchovies, menhaden, smelt, and the rest of the tiny fish. Skewer em and grill em. Finish with acidic and sweet sauce of choice and fleur De sel. Wonderful.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
In extra virgin olive oil is my favorite but will eat them however they are.
With crackers and onions

Smoked oysters in cottonseed oil
Heavenly

You need to try them when they are freshly caught and then barbecued! Amazingly done in Portugal! Can't compare them to these canned ones as there is such a vast difference! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom