What's new

Sardines - food of the gods - best recipes - post pictures!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I buy Moroccan canned sardines in water. They are very close to Portuguese' quality and appearance, yet about 60 % cheaper.
They are the same species, and probably made in Moroccan factories owned by Portuguese or Spanish companies.
I know that with the anchovies, besides the ones fished in Morocco, some fished in highly appreciated areas are shipped to Morocco to be processed there, and them shipped back.
Where do you guys purchase your sardines? I looked at websites that were selling Portuguese sardines but for $6 a can I'll pass. Best combination of price/quality that I have found is Costco. But I am always looking for other deals!

Where do you guys purchase your sardines? I looked at websites that were selling Portuguese sardines but for $6 a can I'll pass. Best combination of price/quality that I have found is Costco. But I am always looking for other deals!
Costco is one way to go.
You might want to check with the local imorters of European/Mediterranean/Persian foods in your area.

Can’t stop now. I haven’t seen any of the tomato sauce ones in my local.

8DC05937-D1DD-4445-B610-F5E585526733.jpeg

Sometimes I get a few tins when back to Spain, but normally in a local supermarket (I am in Australia...)

OMG! I just had some sardines in extra virgin olive oil on some multi grain bread and squirted some Sriracha Sauce over the top. Absolutely delicious. If anything I probably could have used more Sriracha. Thanks to the great suggestion of the fine gents on this thread!

OMG! I just had some sardines in extra virgin olive oil on some multi grain bread and squirted some Sriracha Sauce over the top. Absolutely delicious. If anything I probably could have used more Sriracha. Thanks to the great suggestion of the fine gents on this thread!

Sardines often get little recognition because they are everywhere and cheap, but it is a delicious food that, if scarce, they will be highly regarded and considered a gourmet-privileged food.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sardines often get little recognition because they are everywhere and cheap, but it is a delicious food that, if scarce, they will be highly regarded and considered a gourmet-privileged food.
Sardines don't get the accolades...small fish catches don't either. Don't be fooled in thinking a small fish can't have big flavor and most importantly lots of nutrients.

I bought the Season Brislings in Olive Oil at Shoprite. But next time I'm in Costco I'm going to have see what they have.

A bit off topic but I have to ask, do you drink this stuff?

image.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

image.png

I love that stuff when I can find it and it's not skunked (tough to do in those dadgum green bottles). That is the "original Budweiser," in that its actual name is "Budweiser Budvar." Just about anywhere else in the world, that's what you'll find it under that name. In fact, it was sold under that name until they lost (or settled) a trademark dispute with Anheiser-Busch.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I bought the Season Brislings in Olive Oil at Shoprite. But next time I'm in Costco I'm going to have see what they have.

View attachment 1085768
I love that stuff when I can find it and it's not skunked (tough to do in those dadgum green bottles). That is the "original Budweiser," in that its actual name is "Budweiser Budvar." Just about anywhere else in the world, that's what you'll find it under that name. In fact, it was sold under that name until they lost (or settled) a trademark dispute with Anheiser-Busch.
I can't get it where I live but it is delicious.

I can't get it where I live but it is delicious.

My neighbor has a refrigerated keg tap and loves Czechvar. So whenever he has a party, such as his annual super bowl parties, you can bet he'll probably have Czechvar in there. I agree, it's pretty darn good.

When I was in college in the 1960's, when Mr. Fundsalow (funds-are-low) paid a visit, a can of sardines with a loaf of bread ($.25 at that time), was very filling and saved money for beer afterwards. Last year, after more than 50 years, I tried a can of sardines for laughs. Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is pretty tasty for lunch with some cottage cheese on the side. The taste is much like eating canned tuna, but they are more gross to look at. My wife won't even come into the kitchen if I'm eating it. I keep some cans stockpiled for the current plague, just in case.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The 'Budvar' brewery tour is one that you can't miss when you are in the Czech Republic. Free green beer throughout the tour.

Another good tour is CZ Firearms. Amazing!

Lisa brought these home today from a place called Fresh Thyme which I gather is an IL/WI chain.

I asked her to be on the look out for smoked and got Maple
on top of smoked.
She doesn’t eat them but has kept me well stocked thru these last months.
29219751-0543-4EE7-8EA4-0D50F1E92FF6.jpeg

Inspired by this thread, I bought 2 cans of King Oscar Wild Caught Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil at my local Kroger for $2.99 each. I have never eaten these and so I am a little apprehensive. I plan to try a recipe soon and will report back. DW and I are excited to try this new (for us) super food.

A while back I got a package of 6 wild planet sardines at Costco. They are skinless and boneless. Not my favorite but good smashed up with mayo, mustard and relish to make a sandwich. I’ll get them again just for sandwiches.

Top Bottom