What's new

Sardines - food of the gods - best recipes - post pictures!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The simple beauty of Portuguese-style grilled sardines
by Francis Lam

LISTEN: The simple beauty of Portuguese-style grilled sardines
0:00

proxy.php

More from
The Splendid Table

World-renowned pastry chef Dominique Ansel proves that everyone can bake
The rhythms of the bayou: Melissa M. Martin's simple, intimate Louisiana cooking
Saliha Mahmood Ahmed finds inspiration in dishes from the Mughal Empire
TOOLS
PRINT
EMAIL

Email this
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterPin it!Share on Tumblr
Sponsor us

You could call fish the underdog of the summer cookout. When you have people getting psyched about racks of ribs and charring porterhouses, grilled fish doesn’t always get the love it deserves. But when you hear Portuguese chef Nuno Mendes and host Francis Lam speak so passionately about grilling sardines in the style of Mendes's home country, you can't help but think of how wonderful plump fresh sardines must taste with a bit of char on them. Get your grill hot and Mendes's recipe for Grilled Sardines with Green Peppers from his new book My Lisbon: A Cookbook from Portugal's City of Light.
Francis Lam: I wanted to talk to you about grilling food for a couple of reasons. First, because my wife's family is Portuguese, and I have fallen in love with grilled sardines; I want to be able to impress them next time I see them. Second, sardines, like mackerel, are a small, rich silvery fish that are incredibly delicious. I think people in the U.S. are intimidated by them, but the Portuguese have truly taken the appreciation of sardines and mackerel to the utmost extent. You guys really know what you're doing with these little fish.
Nuno Mendes: Absolutely. Mackerel and sardines are so ingrained in our food and food culture; it’s synonymous with any Portuguese person. We've been eating this since our childhood. I remember the first time I ate sardines, I did get quite a few spines suck my throat, but it's all part of the learning process. I fell in love with him from a very early age.
Nuno Mendes - My Lisbon

Nuno Mendes
Photo Provided by Author
FL: How do you shop for them? I think that's probably the first thing that trips people up, right?
NM: When you’re shopping for them at a market you can see the difference between the frozen ones and the fresh ones. With the fresh ones there’s this shimmering that you have on the fish; they literally glow and are super shiny. Their gills are perfectly intact and the eyes are perfectly clear. You can smell it, but it’s not a strong smell of fish. They hold well. They have almost a slight rigor mortis; they are quite tight and firm, not flabby at all – extremely firm. When sardines start getting a little older they lose the beautiful shine that they have.
I always prefer them to be a little smaller; I think they're a little sweeter. The flavor profile of the meat is incredibly sweet. It’s an oily fish with a nice sweetness and richness to them. I must say that as much as I love the way we cook them in Portugal, I feel like sometimes they might be slightly overcooked. One of the things you have to be careful about with sardines is not to overcook them. Also, because they are such a bony fish, understanding where the bone lines are so you can basically either score them before you grill them or maybe butterfly them and then put them back on the grill. If you grill them just a little under, the meat is perfect.
You always want to salt them really heavily. When the salted fish hits the grill it creates this beautiful steam that draws the moisture from the fish and also creates a barrier so the meat doesn't stick to the grill. Rock salt. Maldon salt. In Portugal, we use sea salt.
FL: Big flaky salt. And you salt it right before you put on the grill.
NM: I salt them a little bit before and then hit them on a really hot grill. Make sure you find the hot spot on the grill to give them a hard sear. Once they're marked and not going to stick, transfer them to a cooler part of the grill let them ride for a couple of minutes and then take them off. They cook so quickly, and you want to have a little bit of tension when you bite into the meat, so you definitely want to wait. But again, you don't want them super overcooked. I do recommend you scale them first. I think a lot of people in Portugal don't scale them, but it becomes very hard to navigate through it.
And I must say this from personal experience, and it's something very interesting. When I was doing the book I was cooking sardines on a rooftop grill in Lisbon, so we were reasonably close to the sea and the riverfront. I left the sardines in a little salt outside on the tray, and we had seagulls come in and start munching on them while I was inside. So, if you're by the sea and you cooking sardines, watch for the seagulls. They like to sit around and wait for a sucker to go in into the flat; that’s their attack strategy. They stole my sardines!
You can make Nuno Mendes's recipe for Grilled Sardines with Green Peppers at home. Photo provided by author.
FL: One more question. Do you treat the grill in particular way? I know a lot of chefs like to oil a rag and then rub the oil onto the grill. Do you do anything like that to make sure they don’t stick?
NM: I try not to oil the grill or oil the sardines. Maybe just a touch of oil on the sardines or rub a little bit of oil on the part of the grill you’re about to use. If you put too much oil on the grill it’s going to burn, it’s going to smoke up or flame up. And again, if you do the same to the fish you have the same result. You want to try to go as hot as possible. And don't flip them too early because you want to sear it and achieve a good seal on that.
FL: When you flip them do you prefer to use a spatula to lift them up or tongs?
NM: I always prefer spatulas. Tongs are not delicate enough; they're too hard and they bruise the fish too much. I prefer to use something just as delicate as the fish.
My Lisbon by Nuno Mendes My Lisbonby Nuno Mendes
FL: And how do you like to serve them? Assuming, of course, you can get to them before the seagulls. In the traditional Portuguese style, they are serve straight grilled, maybe with a piece of lemon. But do you like to pair them with garnishes or sauces?
NM: One of the typical things in Portugal is to serve them with a roasted green pepper salad. And it's very traditional as well when you get a really good quality rustic bread, you rest them on the bread. The oils from the sardines – all that juiciness and salt – goes into the bread.
My favorite way to eat sardines is to drop them on the grill. On the side, you get some green bell peppers and grill them really hard on all sides. Take them out and transfer them to a bowl. Cover them and let them steam so you can take the skin off. Once the skin is off, you julienne. Take slices of the grill roasted pepper and get a nice white sweet onion – one that you can eat raw – and slice that paper thin as well. You can drop them on the grill if they're too hard, but I like them raw. Marinate them with a little lemon juice and a little bit of salt. You could do slivers of garlic if you want. And then we use a little bit of marjoram on top. You can use basil as well, which is nice but it's not as Portuguese. Serve that on the side with a couple wedges of lemon and some piri piri chili oil or a good splash of olive oil over the whole thing.
I like to dress my sardines the moment they come off of the grill. I rest them on a big, thick slice of country bread – it could be slightly grilled or not. If you want to get fancy, rub a little garlic and olive oil on the bread and then drop the sardines on top and let them cool down. Then eat them from there. Start by eating the sardines first. Remove all the bones. Then you end up with this lovely bread has got all the sardine flavor; you eat the bread, and it is very nice.
FL: I can't wait to go see my in-laws!
NM: Yes. I think they will be stoked for that.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As Coronavirus Keeps Us Stuck Inside, Look to the Canned Fish
Now is the time to get obsessed with small-batched sardines, tuna, anchovies and more
canned fish fancy

Sardines, tuna and other canned fish are perfect for stocking up and still eating well.
HORACIO VILLALOBOS - CORBIS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES
BY MARGARET LITTMAN / MARCH 24, 2020 7:00 AM
We’re all being asked to step outside of our comfort zones (though perhaps not literally outside) as we shelter in place. For many of us, this means heading to the pantry and figuring out what the hell to make with the stuff we bought.
My personal emergency food rationing plan is “eat GORP,” so when my editor asked me to look into the best things to do with the best canned fish, I bounded out of my culinary comfort zone and into research mode.
People have strong opinions about fish in a tin. While some think it is smelly and unappetizing — as Andrew Gietzen says, “sardines are the punchline to every food joke” — most chefs list canned fish as the single most versatile ingredient, a protein- and Omega 3-packed version of a pickle.
Gietzen, a former chef, collected tinned seafood when traveling, albeit not that $2 can of tuna from Kroger. “I applied the same sourcing I would have to vegetables and meat: Fish that is bought in season and processed the same day it was purchased.”
There wasn’t much of that going on outside of Spain, which he calls “the Michelin star of the conservas world.” And big importers weren’t stocking products from small, specialty producers. So in 2017, with his wife, Nancy Parng, he opened Chicago-based Preserved States, a wholesaler of tinned fish.
His gems, such as the El Capricho sardine line, are packed in olive oil, butter, brine and even light tomato sauces. You won’t get them at a $2 bargain, but between $8-$30, they make a standard at-home-snack pretty spectacular. Thanks to folks like Gietzen, you’ll be able to nab this stuff even in a quarantine, particularly if the USPS keeps delivering. Look at specialty mail-order shops like Zingerman’s, which is supplied by Preserved States. (Preserved States does have a few items available direct to consumers on its website and Gietzen has plenty of time, while the rest of his warehouse is shuttered, to ship them out.) Mermaid’s Garden in Brooklyn and Wixter Market in Chicago are other options for quality domestic and imported tinned fish and shellfish. Wildfish Cannery also sells Alaskan seafood that it cans and preserves.

Related: Inside the Food World’s Secret Society: Bean Clubs
In addition to having better, distinctive flavor profiles, small-batch specialty tinned fish look better. They tend to be uniformly sized and perfectly arranged thanks to hand packing (a job done mostly by women, Gietzen says, as the job is suited for smaller fingers).
Chef Matthias Merges, founder and owner of Chicago’s Folkart Restaurant Management, waxes poetic about mussels arranged like a clock face inside a round tin. “You just open it up and it is a beautiful surprise.” Merges also uses Trader Joe’s wild-caught yellow fin tuna in salads. It comes packed in TetraPak containers, and is tasty and affordable, albeit without the “ta-da” moment of peeling back the top of an aesthetically pleasing tin.
Like Gietzen, Merges recommends canned fish from Spain, Portugal and Japan. He’s a fan of the Matiz brand of sardines, which are widely available. One of his favorite canned fish tricks is to buy a tin of cockles (aka tiny clams packed in their juices) and sauté them with olive oil, butter and handmade pasta. “It comes out unbelievable.”
“Lots of people buy canned tomato sauce for pasta but skip the protein. A can of smoked mussels is excellent for that,” Merges says. He also uses canned fish in omelets, another easy quarantine option.
In general, chefs agree that the best way to serve specialty canned fish is to leave them as unadulterated as possible. Let the flavor shine through, as you would a shave of jamón on a charcuterie board. If you are working with more mass-market goods, then more ingredients may be needed.
proxy.php
““I have been eating sardines since I was 5 years old. They were the first thing I bought when I heard that we might get stuck [in a quarantine]” (JEAN-SEBASTIEN EVRARD/AFP via Getty Images)
One of the cooks at Oxford Canteen in Oxford, Mississippi was talking about a dish his grandma used to make, and Corbin Evans, the restaurant’s chef, thought he was on to something. The team made a fish cake from canned jack mackerel ($1.87 at the local Kroger) and canned pink Bay salmon ($4), mixing in some mashed potato (Grandma didn’t approve of that) and egg as a binding, plus spices and mustard, and then dredged it through corn flour and served it with local arugula and a remoulade on a sourdough English muffin.
You can replicate that, or any fish cake/burger-type patty, at home. Look for a canned fish that is wild-caught and dolphin-safe at your closest supermarket or international grocer.
At one Oxford Canteen pop-up, Evans even made sardine Banh mi sandwiches, simmering the sardines in a light tomato sauce with onion, garlic, ginger and fish sauce, and then serving it on a bun with pickled carrots, cucumber and cilantro. “It was 50-50 ‘that’s delicious’ or ‘that’s disgusting,’ so I knew I was on to something.”
But Evans says you don’t even have to get that fancy.
“I have been eating sardines since I was five years old. They were the first thing I bought when I heard that we might get stuck [in a quarantine],” he says. He mixes them with mustard and puts them on a sandwich or swaps out smoked oysters on top of a Ritz or Triscuit cracker. “I can’t eat them around my wife, though. She thinks when I am eating it that I am thinking about money problems. But that’s not the case.”

I am so glad to find others who enjoy these tasty little swimmers. I have loved them since I was a baby. I don't care how they are prepared or opened. I will devour them haha. Then again one of my favorite ways is to open a can of smoked brislings and add some of my Peach Carolina Reaper hot sauce on them and top a Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper Triscuit with them.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Fellow Sardine Lovers:
After hearing good things about Polar Smoked Sardines (thanx TexLaw & malocchio...fell in love with the see-thru cans), and having picking-up quite a few cans...I made this simple dish tonight for a light dinner w/ the Mrs.;

Italian Macaroni Salad (w/ Parmesan Italian Dressing), with Polar Smoked Sardines and a
sprinkling of Paprika! :thumbsup:

Italian Macaroni Salad with Polar Smoked Sardines.jpg

Love the smoke flavor, no bones (although a good source of calcium), skin-on, not salty yet very firm (easy to toss / mix w/ salad etc...& won't turn to 'mush' in the process), no fishy after-taste and like the companies saying..."These sardines have the perfect combination of smokiness and freshness in a
single bite
". :wink2:

proxy.php
"[With sardines...] a smiling face is half the meal". Latvian Proverb

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Fellow Sardine Lovers:
After hearing good things about Polar Smoked Sardines (thanx TexLaw & malocchio...fell in love with the see-thru cans), and having picking-up quite a few cans...I made this simple dish tonight for a light dinner w/ the Mrs.;

Italian Macaroni Salad (w/ Parmesan Italian Dressing), with Polar Smoked Sardines and a
sprinkling of Paprika! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1078659

Love the smoke flavor, no bones (although a good source of calcium), skin-on, not salty yet very firm (easy to toss / mix w/ salad etc...& won't turn to 'mush' in the process), no fishy after-taste and like the companies saying..."These sardines have the perfect combination of smokiness and freshness in a
single bite
". :wink2:
BTW, these Polar smoked sardines really 'out-classed' my old favorite...King Oscar sardines (lightly smoked, also boneless, and from Norway’s fjords and coastal waters), tinned w/ jalapeños.
Shoulder Shrug.jpg

With the Polar sardines...I can taste the 'difference' (subtle, [but still there; could it be linked to product origin?], i.e., texture, firmness, smokiness, salt etc...), between the two sardines.
just-my-2-cents-gif.793284

Did you know that the smallest sardines are brisling (hence, being much more 'delicate'
to handle)
proxy.php

proxy.php
"It's hard to ravish a [plate] of [Latvian] sardines". D.H. Lawrence

I just found the same sardines as TexLaw ( above post )...Will try them tonight. $2 at the Grocery Outlet , which sells off brand and close out products at very good prices. Much of what POLAR brand sells originates in China , but these sardines are from Latvia.... I'll critique the quality after tonight's salad ...The picture is NOT of an open can, it has a clear plastic pull-tab top !View attachment 1076861View attachment 1076862View attachment 1076863View attachment 1076864View attachment 1076865

They are actually sprats, which is a national dish in Latvia (look at the skin colour and fish shape). Very tasty and smoked, I love them, but they are not "real" sardines (in the sense of the atlantic sardine AKA Pilchards). It is often sold as sardine or bristling sardine.

They are actually sprats, which is a national dish in Latvia (look at the skin colour and fish shape). Very tasty and smoked, I love them, but they are not "real" sardines (in the sense of the atlantic sardine AKA Pilchards). It is often sold as sardine or bristling sardine.
I've heard of sprats , but I believe this is my first time eating them... after the 3rd tin I will call these " heavily " smoked, and very tasty....

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Taking a round tin of Polar sardines to work today. We will see how it goes.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Are the round tins of polar sardines the same quality fish as the rectangular ones?

I was unimpressed with the rectangular tins and thought that Season was much better. But the round tins may very well be different.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've heard of sprats , but I believe this is my first time eating them... after the 3rd tin I will call these " heavily " smoked, and very tasty....
They are really nice, they go very well inside many dishes, like salads or pasta. I often ended up finishing the tin before the dish is ready :em2300:
I am responsible of introduce many friends to them, and they are surprise of how good they are, and they feel bad of passing so many times in front of them at the supermarkets without even notice them. At the end it is not what they are (I just added a clarification), but how tasty they are. I'll get a tin soon!!

I buy Moroccan canned sardines in water. They are very close to Portuguese' quality and appearance, yet about 60 % cheaper.

I buy Moroccan canned sardines in water. They are very close to Portuguese' quality and appearance, yet about 60 % cheaper.

They are the same species, and probably made in Moroccan factories owned by Portuguese or Spanish companies.
I know that with the anchovies, besides the ones fished in Morocco, some fished in highly appreciated areas are shipped to Morocco to be processed there, and them shipped back.

Top Bottom