What's new

Sardines - food of the gods - best recipes - post pictures!

I just found the same sardines as TexLaw ( above post )...Will try them tonight. $2 at the Grocery Outlet , which sells off brand and close out products at very good prices. Much of what POLAR brand sells originates in China , but these sardines are from Latvia.... I'll critique the quality after tonight's salad ...The picture is NOT of an open can, it has a clear plastic pull-tab top !
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
IMG_0003 (1).JPG
IMG_0004 (3).JPG
IMG_0005 (2).JPG

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I picked a recipe of YouTube a year or two ago. There this guy named Alex who cooked a few things with sardines.

he had a spin of Unagi Don. Which is a japanese recipe made with eel, a sweetand salty sauce with rice.

he makes good recipes with a minimum of ingredients.

This one is fairly simple.

make some white rice
1 tin of sardines rinced. Those in water are best.

For the sauce
Soy sauce(or tamari or coconut sap)
Blackstrap molasses (I prefer maple syrup)
A dash of vinegar (rice or apple cider)
A tiny bit of water
A tablespoon or so of cornstarch (I use tapioca flour) to thicken the sauce.

Mix all sauce ingredients except the flour. Heat up and then mix the flour with water in a glass of water to avoid lumps. Drop the flour mix in the sauce, keep mixing.

when it’s thick(like a sauce), drop the sardines in and roll them in the sauce.

put the rice in a bowl. Put the sardines on top with a bit of sauce.

you can cut a spring onion with scissors on top, add coriander or parsley. I add some sesame seeds and voila!

my take is a bit different but I enjoy that one here and there. I make it with cauliflower rice sometimes

I've eaten his with the eel. Very good. Sardines should work too.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Made it tonight without any flour so the sauce was liquify a bit...

Attachments

• DE7BA5DF-F1AF-4506-8023-07A3444FA807.jpeg
    DE7BA5DF-F1AF-4506-8023-07A3444FA807.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Had the Polar sardines last night in a big mixed salad...Not too salty, very tender, and medium-heavy smoke flavor, these would be good on a pizza !

Stumbled on a great combination the other day when grilling a half a left over prime rib - sardines and horseradish sauce. Two thumbs up.

Top Bottom