What's new

Saponificio Verisino: Scent and Strength

Happy New Years y’all!

I’m looking for some info on the scents and scent strengths of SV soaps. Because everything is so relative in this area, I’ll simply tell you what I really like (and don’t) in order to help narrow down the options.

My favorite scents are DR Harris Windsor, Sandalwood, and Arlington hard soaps, in that specific order. I consider Windsor and Sandalwood to have the perfect scent strength and Arlington to be a little on the loud side. I like soft and delicate scents. I find Fine American Blend to be nauseating and loud. I know lots of you guys love that one so when you comment please let me know what you think about it too.

So which SV soap would you recommend based on the above? Are these generally strongly scented soaps or do they vary a lot? I’d really like to try this soap but have no idea where to start. Thanks!

Happy New Years y’all!

I’m looking for some info on the scents and scent strengths of SV soaps. Because everything is so relative in this area, I’ll simply tell you what I really like (and don’t) in order to help narrow down the options.

My favorite scents are DR Harris Windsor, Sandalwood, and Arlington hard soaps, in that specific order. I consider Windsor and Sandalwood to have the perfect scent strength and Arlington to be a little on the loud side. I like soft and delicate scents. I find Fine American Blend to be nauseating and loud. I know lots of you guys love that one so when you comment please let me know what you think about it too.

So which SV soap would you recommend based on the above? Are these generally strongly scented soaps or do they vary a lot? I’d really like to try this soap but have no idea where to start. Thanks!
I’m using Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, & Cosmo. I have read comments that Felce Is enjoyed by users with Sandalwood leaning preferences. It is my favourite of the three. I will replace the Felce. I will replace the other two with other fragrances. The Felce, scent wise is probably thirty percent stronger smelling than the other two. I am not a fragrance expert. The Felce does have a more complex scent compared to the other two. I’ve read comments that Desert Vetiver is a favourite for the same reason.

I have found the sample scents and bath soaps to be close in fragrance to the shave soaps but not an exact match.

I face lather. During lathering the scent from all three are noticed but not predominant in the shave. Some Artisan soaps I’ve used were so prominent in scent it was distracting to the shave. Two of my SV’s are 4.3 and one 4.1 formula. Most references I’ve read prefer 4.3 formula. I found the 4.1 to need a tad more water than the 4.3. I personally use a SV pre shave.

The pre and post shave skin feel from the SV I would rate as excellent but not the best I’ve used. In my case not a concern since I use both pre and post shave elixirs. I rate their pre and post shave feel as comparable to Tabac & MWF. The reason I use pre and post shave products. My skin needs a little extra.

The lather development is best achieved with blooming. Which I have only used with these soaps. The lathering is the best I have had from any soaps I’ve used. Fast to develop. Easy to adjust. The creamiest soap I’ve used. As good as any luxury creams I’ve used.

Not mentioned very often Saponificio Varesino products are predominantly vegan. Important to me for skin issues. I have not been disappointed with any of their products. I now use them exclusively.

I like soft and delicate scents.
I think you may want to keep away from SV altogether as the scents are quite strong.

I start from a preference for mild scents, with an aversion to scents that linger too strongly. For DR Harris soaps, I used a puck of Arlington and liked that a lot, enough to order a second round. I just cracked open Marlborough, which I find to be more strongly scented and not as much to my taste as Arlington, but still enjoyable. Importantly for me, I don’t continue to smell it all day long.

For SV, I have tried Felce Aromatica and Stella Alpina. Both were great performers, and I enjoyed the fragrance while shaving. I just haven’t enjoyed the scent being strongly on me all day, even if I am careful to remove all residue after the shave.

As other points of reference, I like Haslinger soaps and MWF all around. Speick stick, La Toja stick, Proraso Green and White and Cade are on the edge of too strongly scented for me, but I enjoy them all the same. Some non-starters for me are Proraso blue and red, Tabac, TOBS sandalwood, Arko.

I’ll also add the scent of my desert vetiver is very strong ….if you don’t like strong scented stuff I’d stay away …it’s not like a horrid scent or anything just strong …(doesn’t worry me but it may for somebody who gets offended by strong scents) as for the rest of the scents I couldn’t say ymmv

Btw yes d r Harris does has some delicate scents …I have the Marlborough and it’s not a half bad soap and the scent is fairly mild but pleasant 👍

Top Bottom