What's new

saponificio veriseno

I was thinking about getting my first SV soap and aftershave combo, i was thinking about going with desert vetiver. the problem is im not too familiar with how vetivier smells, is there anything other soap thats not so expensive that has a similar note profile that i could smell in order to get an idea of what e4xactly this particular soap smells like? i dont mind spending the money on the soap i just dont want to buy the soap and then not like the scent. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated, thanks!

There's lots of samples available at Maggards. Only MdC has vetiver in the name of the soap, at least that I could find. I'm sure there's other makers with vetiver soaps but with names like 'Fake Yellow Light' conjuring up thoughts of the nightly whiz after taking B vitamins no idea what it's suppose to smell like.

The drop down shows Vetiver in stock. Good Luck!

I wouldn't get too caught up with what vetiver smells like (usually earth/smokey, BTW). Per SV's description, it sounds like it is only used as a base note: The Desert Vetiver Collection from Saponificio Varesino is a composition with warm and enveloping notes. The blend of Elemi, Incense, Orange and Artemisia flare up in the flowery, peppery, spicy heart. A multifaceted sillage of Black Pepper, Juniper Berries, Oregano and Lavender swarms towards an elegant woody background sublimated by the precious Vetiver, the fresh Cloves and the seductive notes of Amber for a fragrance with a virile and unforgettable character.

SV Desert Vetiver is one of my two favorite SV scents, the other one being Opuntia.

As others have suggested, if you can, get a sample, as SV Desert Vetiver smells quite distinct to any other Vetiver fragrance I have used. BTW, I should add I really like vetiver in general. My other favorite is Vetiver Magnifique by A&E, which is an homage to iconic Guerlain Vetiver EDT. I also like Proraso's Cypress & Vetyver, which is quite different one altogether.

TL;DR - get s sample.

I was thinking about getting my first SV soap and aftershave combo, i was thinking about going with desert vetiver. the problem is im not too familiar with how vetivier smells, is there anything other soap thats not so expensive that has a similar note profile that i could smell in order to get an idea of what e4xactly this particular soap smells like? i dont mind spending the money on the soap i just dont want to buy the soap and then not like the scent. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated, thanks!
This scent resembles the fragrance Terre d’Hermes Intense Vetiver (which is not really an intense vetiver despite the name). You might be able to find that at a fragrance counter somewhere in your area. Remember though, soaps will not have the strength, longevity and projection you will get from an EdT or EdP. The scent is just there for you to enjoy during shaving.

I bought Desert Vetiver soap and splash on others recommendations and have zero regrets. I absolutely love it. Spicey I think describes it in one word but I know that’s kind of vague. You can get a sample of 15 SV scents as aftershave splashes on the SV website for $15. That will give you an idea what the scents are like.

congrats it is a great soap and scent. I own the SV Desert vertiver bathsoapas well as SV 70th shaving soap and they are great.

Nowdays you need to consult fragrantica to guess what your soap will probably smell like. It is unbelievable. When i hear "vetiver", i think of grass. Now there is desert vetiver... Is there grass in the desert? Not that i know of! This is why i do well to stick to simple soaps. Soaps have become too refined for a simple man to understand nowdays...

I love SV products generally, and own this one like most of the rest of the line.

I will concur with others who say to sample first, as in my case the performance is great like all the other SV soaps I own (especially the beta 4.3 formulations like this one), but the scent I found to be a bit of a let-down, and not what I was expecting for a vetiver focused profile. I recommend adding some of the other SV scents as well, as most of them are really good and might be a match just in case Desert Vetiver isn’t.

Nowdays you need to consult fragrantica to guess what your soap will probably smell like. It is unbelievable. When i hear "vetiver", i think of grass. Now there is desert vetiver... Is there grass in the desert? Not that i know of! This is why i do well to stick to simple soaps. Soaps have become too refined for a simple man to understand nowdays...
The name "Desert Vetiver" comes from Vetiver fragrance and Desert Date Oil, used in this magnificent soap and aftershave.

Desert Date Oil has skin nourishing and moisturizing properties.

Desert Vetiver – Shaving Soap 150g – Saponificio Varesino Online Store

1617876087854.png

The name "Desert Vetiver" comes from Vetiver fragrance and Desert Date Oil, used in this magnificent soap and aftershave.

Desert Date Oil has skin nourishing and moisturizing properties.

Desert Vetiver – Shaving Soap 150g – Saponificio Varesino Online Store

View attachment 1248337

Ah, thank you! Now i see! My poor imagination hadn't reached such a high deductive capacity to imagine that they use desert date oil and this is why they have desert vetiver. :shocked: As far as i know, oils don't penetrate the skin, so the moisturizing effect is temporary to trap the existing humidity before you rinse. So, i think i will stick with my Lea classic, which has lanolin and only costs €6 and with another €7 i will buy L' Oreal Men Expert 24h action moisturizer with Guarana and Vitamin C. 🤣 The Guarana extract and the Vitamin C have better chances of penetrating inside the skin long term. Maybe this is why it has 24h action!

P.S.: Speaking of dates, i remember that i still have some egyptian figs. I think i will eat some. Maybe they will moisturize from the interior! :biggrin1:

I bought Desert Vetiver soap and splash on others recommendations and have zero regrets. I absolutely love it. Spicey I think describes it in one word but I know that’s kind of vague. You can get a sample of 15 SV scents as aftershave splashes on the SV website for $15. That will give you an idea what the scents are like.
i do like spicy scents so i will give this one a shot

Top Bottom