What's new

saponificio veriseno

Ah, thank you! Now i see! My poor imagination hadn't reached such a high deductive capacity to imagine that they use desert date oil and this is why they have desert vetiver. :shocked: As far as i know, oils don't penetrate the skin, so the moisturizing effect is temporary to trap the existing humidity before you rinse. So, i think i will stick with my Lea classic, which has lanolin and only costs €6 and with another €7 i will buy L' Oreal Men Expert 24h action moisturizer with Guarana and Vitamin C. 🤣 The Guarana extract and the Vitamin C have better chances of penetrating inside the skin long term. Maybe this is why it has 24h action!

P.S.: Speaking of dates, i remember that i still have some egyptian figs. I think i will eat some. Maybe they will moisturize from the interior! :biggrin1:

I agree LEA classic puck is great shaving soap at a fantastic price and although the scent is pleasant, it's nothing compared to SV soaps.

I don't chase soap ingredients or bases. As long as a soap doesn't cause skin irritation and I enjoy the scent, I will happily use it. I love the sophisticated scents of SV and surprisingly, so far, none of the ones I've used have caused any skin irritation!

I'm lucky to still have 3 pucks of the old tallow LEA classic pucks and I've ordered a veg puck just to compare to the tallow version.

I agree LEA classic puck is great shaving soap at a fantastic price and although the scent is pleasant, it's nothing compared to SV soaps.

I don't chase soap ingredients or bases. As long as a soap doesn't cause skin irritation and I enjoy the scent, I will happily use it. I love the sophisticated scents of SV and surprisingly, so far, none of the ones I've used have caused any skin irritation!

I'm lucky to still have 3 pucks of the old tallow LEA classic pucks and I've ordered a veg puck just to compare to the tallow version.

With what SV costs, it 'd better have much better scent! (Un)Fortunately for me, i lose the sense of scent when a scent is pleasant as soon as i start lathering. I don't know if it is my nose that stops smelling or that i concentrate on lathering and my mind stops smelling. I only keep smelling the soaps with scent that i dislike, which is like a curse, because i can't stop smelling Tabac or Arko even after i rinse them off. In particular Arko, i have the feeling that i can still smell it even after the aftershave. I don't know if true or my mind plays tricks on me...

So, pay €36 just for a scent that i can only smell when i don't shave? I don't think so... Even when i bought the Red Truefitt and Hill, which has a scent that i liked sniffing, after a while it got trivial too and didn't impress me anymore. After a couple of months i was tired of it and prayed it would finish, just like i do with much more mundane soaps. Better spend the money on proper perfumes for me. At least you buy a dedicated perfume, not a soap with perfume. You can still use perfume while you shave...

I don't know anything about ingredients either. I only know if something has tallow or not. The rest i pretty much ignore what they mean. I have the vegetal puck and it lathers like crazy, despite my water is full of calcium salts. I have 5 more Lea pucks in storage. My "hard nucleus" of soaps, are Lea and Haslinger. I think i slightly prefer the Lea lather, but Haslinger is like it lathers itself. It goes like in "automatic mode". :laugh:

I mean... €36 for 1 SV, or 6 Lea Classic or if you make a big purchase special bargain on ebay... 9 Haslingers... I am African, not American. The right choice is obvious! :laugh: I can pay €15 for something like a TOBS once in a while, but pay SV prices, not... Luckily, the man who is satisfied easily, is a happy man! I am happy even with Palmolive cream! Bonus for being an African!

Here's one to all fellow SV fans and wet-shaving enthusiasts.

As GeoFatBoy always says Have a Great Shave - Have a Great Day 😊

1617953559370.png

With what SV costs, it 'd better have much better scent! (Un)Fortunately for me, i lose the sense of scent when a scent is pleasant as soon as i start lathering. I don't know if it is my nose that stops smelling or that i concentrate on lathering and my mind stops smelling. I only keep smelling the soaps with scent that i dislike, which is like a curse, because i can't stop smelling Tabac or Arko even after i rinse them off. In particular Arko, i have the feeling that i can still smell it even after the aftershave. I don't know if true or my mind plays tricks on me...

So, pay €36 just for a scent that i can only smell when i don't shave? I don't think so... Even when i bought the Red Truefitt and Hill, which has a scent that i liked sniffing, after a while it got trivial too and didn't impress me anymore. After a couple of months i was tired of it and prayed it would finish, just like i do with much more mundane soaps. Better spend the money on proper perfumes for me. At least you buy a dedicated perfume, not a soap with perfume. You can still use perfume while you shave...

I don't know anything about ingredients either. I only know if something has tallow or not. The rest i pretty much ignore what they mean. I have the vegetal puck and it lathers like crazy, despite my water is full of calcium salts. I have 5 more Lea pucks in storage. My "hard nucleus" of soaps, are Lea and Haslinger. I think i slightly prefer the Lea lather, but Haslinger is like it lathers itself. It goes like in "automatic mode". :laugh:

I mean... €36 for 1 SV, or 6 Lea Classic or if you make a big purchase special bargain on ebay... 9 Haslingers... I am African, not American. The right choice is obvious! :laugh: I can pay €15 for something like a TOBS once in a while, but pay SV prices, not... Luckily, the man who is satisfied easily, is a happy man! I am happy even with Palmolive cream! Bonus for being an African!

I guess it comes down to what level one wants to take the hobby.

For me, I have around 70 soaps in rotation as that's my favorite part of the hobby. I favour milled soaps so as I start to finish artisan soaps, I likely will not replace them.

I have under 10 razors and around a dozen brushes.

If I have 8 SV soaps and rotate them for my Saturday shave, it means each SV soap will get used around 7 times per year.

At 200 shaves per puck, this SV rotation will last me over 25 years! So I definitely consider this when assessing the cost.

Of course if I find the scents are dissipating over time, I'll use them up faster. But I have a 12 year old CADE puck that has retained its scent so far.

I guess it comes down to what level one wants to take the hobby.

For me, I have around 70 soaps in rotation as that's my favorite part of the hobby. I favour milled soaps so as I start to finish artisan soaps, I likely will not replace them.

I have under 10 razors and around a dozen brushes.

If I have 8 SV soaps and rotate them for my Saturday shave, it means each SV soap will get used around 7 times per year.

At 200 shaves per puck, this SV rotation will last me over 25 years! So I definitely consider this when assessing the cost.

Of course if I find the scents are dissipating over time, I'll use them up faster. But I have a 12 year old CADE puck that has retained its scent so far.

70 soaps in rotation?! :eek2: How do you ever finish one! I know local shops that have less soaps than you! I just want to have happy shaves and the soap is the least of my concern.You can make a soap much better with skill, if need be. I only use 2, maximum 3 soaps in the rotation, because i want to finish them in reasonably short times. 200 shaves a puck is a lot, but also depends on the type of lather, how big is your face and how hard the water is. I don't count how many shaves i get. I did many years ago just out of curiosity when comparing Proraso tub to tube. And i had concluded that i was getting about the same amount of shaves. Around 70-80, if my memory serves me. I have read people claiming many more, so it is impossible to judge by other people's consumption.

Well, i undestand the scent problem, which is also why i now tend to prefer the hard pucks. They do age better than croaps or creams. At any rate, i understand, each has his weaknesses. I am more fond of brush rotation. This is what gives me the most pleasure. Have a different feeling on my cheek, than a different soap. I have surely many more than 12 brushes. But i don't want to count them, it is better this way. Ignorance is really a bliss. :biggrin1: But, at least, i like even cheap brushes. Always a bonus of being African.

70 soaps in rotation?! :eek2: How do you ever finish one! I know local shops that have less soaps than you! I just want to have happy shaves and the soap is the least of my concern.You can make a soap much better with skill, if need be. I only use 2, maximum 3 soaps in the rotation, because i want to finish them in reasonably short times. 200 shaves a puck is a lot, but also depends on the type of lather, how big is your face and how hard the water is. I don't count how many shaves i get. I did many years ago just out of curiosity when comparing Proraso tub to tube. And i had concluded that i was getting about the same amount of shaves. Around 70-80, if my memory serves me. I have read people claiming many more, so it is impossible to judge by other people's consumption.

Well, i undestand the scent problem, which is also why i now tend to prefer the hard pucks. They do age better than croaps or creams. At any rate, i understand, each has his weaknesses. I am more fond of brush rotation. This is what gives me the most pleasure. Have a different feeling on my cheek, than a different soap. I have surely many more than 12 brushes. But i don't want to count them, it is better this way. Ignorance is really a bliss. :biggrin1: But, at least, i like even cheap brushes. Always a bonus of being African.

Nice!
I went from a brush rotation of 70 down to 12 over the last 18 months.

I found that I just kept using my favorites and the rest were ignored.

I never finish a soap actually. I've gone through several MWF pucks but that's about it. Never seen the bottom of a tub otherwise! 😄

Nice!
I went from a brush rotation of 70 down to 12 over the last 18 months.

I found that I just kept using my favorites and the rest were ignored.

I never finish a soap actually. I've gone through several MWF pucks but that's about it. Never seen the bottom of a tub otherwise! 😄

Well, with such a big rotation, i am not surprised if you don't finish one! Your bathroom must be like a shaving shop! 😍 My otherwise lovely wife would never permit it.

I do have some favorite brushes, but it is like with anything favorite. If i keep using it, i get bored of it. So i just use anything i have. I just choose by luck some brushes every month and make a small rotation of them. The following month i change. Variety is the spice of life. 12 brushes would be too little variety for me.

Reactions: nav
Op, get a sample of terre d’hermes eau intense vetiver cologne.

Sv desert vetiver was probably inspired by it, if I had to guess. They are incredibly similar.

Re: just getting some cheap vetiver soap: Not all vetivers are created equally.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I shaved with a sample of Felce Aromatica today. My first exposure to a soap from this company. Here's the relevant part snipped from today's shave journal post:

"This was my first shave with any soap from this near legendary brand. Very nice "green" scent. Enjoyable, but not suffocating or distracting. Brush loaded easily enough, and took about the standard amount of time for me to get my preferred lather quality from it.
Performance? Perfectly ordinary. Pretty much what I'd expect from a decent shave soap. Lea stick, Palmolive stick, Wickhams, Phoenix and Beau, Goodfellas Smile mug soap, and Jagger mug soap, would all give me a roughly equivalent performance, albeit it at a lower cost.
What am I missing?
It's shave soap. It does absolutely everything it should, except for justify its cost. I will enjoy this sample, but will be in no rush whatsoever to buy a full soap. Three passes done, finished off with a bewildered shrug.
Myth busted."

I shaved with a sample of Felce Aromatica today. My first exposure to a soap from this company. Here's the relevant part snipped from today's shave journal post:

"This was my first shave with any soap from this near legendary brand. Very nice "green" scent. Enjoyable, but not suffocating or distracting. Brush loaded easily enough, and took about the standard amount of time for me to get my preferred lather quality from it.
Performance? Perfectly ordinary. Pretty much what I'd expect from a decent shave soap. Lea stick, Palmolive stick, Wickhams, Phoenix and Beau, Goodfellas Smile mug soap, and Jagger mug soap, would all give me a roughly equivalent performance, albeit it at a lower cost.
What am I missing?
It's shave soap. It does absolutely everything it should, except for justify its cost. I will enjoy this sample, but will be in no rush whatsoever to buy a full soap. Three passes done, finished off with a bewildered shrug.
Myth busted."
One would expect a fine Italian soap-maker, that has been in business since the end of WW2, makes a good performing soap.

It's no myth...

However, what makes us, who happen to fall in love with SV so excited about it, is not just its excellent performance, but its unique and intoxicating scent. Some people don't care for it, to them it's just another soap. To me it's the soap I'll never be without, as well as matching aftershave.

As I said in another post - the price-tag is insignificant compared to the volume of joy it gives me during my 15 minutes of Zen.

Don't like it - don't use it, just live and let live 😉

Last edited:
One would expect a fine Italian soap-maker, that has been in business since the end of WW2, makes a good performing soap.

It's no myth...

However, what makes us, who happen to fall in love with SV so excited about it, is not just its excellent performance, but its unique and intoxicating scent. Some people don't care for it, to them it's just another soap. To me it's the soap I'll never be without, as well as matching aftershave.

As I said in another post - the price-tag is insignificant compared to the volume of joy it gives me during my 15 minutes of Zen.

Every man has his weakness or weaknesses in shaving. If one's weakness is the scent, then the price is certainly worth it. SV has been making soap since 1945, but shaving soap only for a few years. Which fuels my idea, that soap isn't as an advanced science as artisans would like to make you believe. However, as with all luxury products, add a nice, preferably unique scent, add a nice container/box, a nice logo or artwork on the box and your product becomes unique and as such commands a unique price. Added value comes from the amenities. And you have your customer base that is interested in this kind of product and it is normal. And well, yes, if this is how you achieve Zen, the price is also reasonable after all. There are much more expensive ways to spend your money for 15 minutes of Zen.

Every man has his weakness or weaknesses in shaving.
I prefer to think of it as my preference, rather than weakness.

Weakness would imply doing something that you know is harmful, but you still do it, as you cannot control it... like gambling or drugs or SRAD.

My buying this particular SV soap was an educated decision, a conscious choice. I've got a free sample with one of my orders back in 2019, I instantly loved the scent. I then researched the net for reviews about its performance and finally I've made the purchase. It hasn't been a random or blind buy, but a result of a thought-through process.

You can say that my "weakness" is being meticulous, as I never blind-buy anything 😂 😂 😂

I prefer to think of it as my preference, rather than weakness.

Weakness would imply doing something that you know is harmful, but you still do it, as you cannot control it... like gambling or drugs or SRAD.

My buying this particular SV soap was an educated decision, a conscious choice. I've got a free sample with one of my orders back in 2019, I instantly loved the scent. I then researched the net for reviews about its performance and finally I've made the purchase. It hasn't been a random or blind buy, but a result of a thought-through process.

You can say that my "weakness" is being meticulous, as I never blind-buy anything 😂 😂 😂

I understand completely. Forgive the unfortunate term on my part, i am approximative with english and well, probably exteriorating my own fondness of brushes, which is a weakness, as i have more than the average man would deem normal and unlike you, i have made several purchases out of compulsion... :tongue_sm The razors and soaps do not have the same appeal to me. The razors least of anything. It is a good fortune that you can try soap samples before you buy!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

It's no myth...

I find the scent OK, but no more special than other soaps. I never said I didn't like it though. It worked just fine, and I'll certainly enjoy using the rest of the sample. I just don't think it offers good value, and other products are more deserving of my money.

I'm not trying to dissuade others, just share my own experience and perspective.

I find the scent OK, but no more special than other soaps. I never said I didn't like it though. It worked just fine, and I'll certainly enjoy using the rest of the sample. I just don't think it offers good value, and other products are more deserving of my money.

I'm not trying to dissuade others, just share my own experience and perspective.
Using the phrase "myth busted" suggest otherwise...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm currently doing a longevity test on a puck of SV, so I don't really know how expensive it is in actual use - yet. It is definitely an excellent soap, one of my top 2.
Scent is not very important to me, unless I don't like it.

But there are way too many experienced shavers here to assume that you know why they purchased anything. That's a fools mission. To pretend you can peer into the mind of another shaver and know that they purchased a soap for X or Y reasons is the best way I know to make yourself look silly.

We deal in opinions here. It's obviously fine to not like a product or not think it's worth the money. I share that opinion of some products. I'm comfortable in my decision not to purchase something and don't have the need or the right to suggest why you wouldn't agree with me.

Top Bottom