What's new

Saponificio Varesino - What do they smell like to you?

That’s a pretty good idea! Scent is pretty comparable when you did get the soap?

The only one I have left that are the same are the 70ths. I smelled them both just now to be accurate for you. They smell similar but the shave soap is much much stronger scent. I have developed an allergy to the shaving soap and can't use it anymore. It makes me sad because it was one of my favorites and really easily lathered on top of that.

The only one I have left that are the same are the 70ths. I smelled them both just now to be accurate for you. They smell similar but the shave soap is much much stronger scent. I have developed an allergy to the shaving soap and can't use it anymore. It makes me sad because it was one of my favorites and really easily lathered on top of that.

Yikes! Sorry to hear. Have you figured out what the allergy is to?

Thanks for checking though!

I just got samples of Felce, Colonia, and Flying Mango - Shavedash is Fast! I have not used them yet so things could change.

Felce - I am completely confused on this one. I understand the Fougere and its kind of sweeter (but not sweet) - its something else. I can't really figure out all the scents in it and where it leans. It honestly reminds me of a cologne/EdT that I have smelled before - however I can't remember which one and I wish I could.

Flying Mango - I smell mostly woody on this one but not in the same sense as Manna. Manna is sweeter. This is more bitter to my nose.

Colonia - I love AdP Colonia and this kind of smells like it but not as "sweet". It reminds me of the old Razorock XXX which also tried to emulate AdP. Its a little bitter and if I had the preference, the scent of AdP Colonia is much better. I smelled them back to back.

Manna - seems to be opening up a little bit in the last week. It has become a little sweeter and less bitter cedar, which is better to me. Of the 4 (at this moment) my two favorite would be Colonia and Manna.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just got samples of Felce, Colonia, and Flying Mango - Shavedash is Fast! I have not used them yet so things could change.

Felce - I am completely confused on this one. I understand the Fougere and its kind of sweeter (but not sweet) - its something else. I can't really figure out all the scents in it and where it leans. It honestly reminds me of a cologne/EdT that I have smelled before - however I can't remember which one and I wish I could.

Flying Mango - I smell mostly woody on this one but not in the same sense as Manna. Manna is sweeter. This is more bitter to my nose.

Colonia - I love AdP Colonia and this kind of smells like it but not as "sweet". It reminds me of the old Razorock XXX which also tried to emulate AdP. Its a little bitter and if I had the preference, the scent of AdP Colonia is much better. I smelled them back to back.

Manna - seems to be opening up a little bit in the last week. It has become a little sweeter and less bitter cedar, which is better to me. Of the 4 (at this moment) my two favorite would be Colonia and Manna.

At first I wasn't to keen on the scent of Manna, but as you pointed out, the resinous sharpness mellows a bit with time. Now it's one of my favorites.

At first I wasn't to keen on the scent of Manna, but as you pointed out, the resinous sharpness mellows a bit with time. Now it's one of my favorites.

Hi @shavefan, you haven't tried Cubebe yet, have you? I love Felce 4.3 very much, I've read a couple of reviews on the website of a Canadian retailer saying that they like Cubebe scent even better than other SV's. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reviews here. If you have any info, please share, thanks!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Hi @shavefan, you haven't tried Cubebe yet, have you? I love Felce 4.3 very much, I've read a couple of reviews on the website of a Canadian retailer saying that they like Cubebe scent even better than other SV's. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reviews here. If you have any info, please share, thanks!

Hello @Hooman. I have not had a chance to try Cubebe yet, I have 4 tins of SV that I'm trying to get through. I'm still working on my original tin of Felce. SV seems to last forever!

Thanks @shavefan, I'll see if I can get my hands onto a puck of Cubebe bath soap or wait to see if Shavedash will bring samples of Cubebe, soon as I receive either a sample will be sent your way.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks @shavefan, I'll see if I can get my hands onto a puck of Cubebe bath soap or wait to see if Shavedash will bring samples of Cubebe, soon as I receive either a sample will be sent your way.

Very generous of you Hooman! Thanks in advance, I would love to try it.

I spied one of the bargain priced soaps that has its many fans so gave it a try for the past week.Today I shaved with SV .....Manna variety....and now I know why SV is so good!

For those that have used both SV and MdC which one last longer?

I still have not finished a puck of either, I still have the Felce 4.1 and have not touched the MdC Fougere yet, still have the samples I’ve gotten for the original and Fougere MdC.

I would like to try the 4.3 version but I still have the Cosmo and the first version of Colonia.

I don’t want to buy any soap until I finish a puck. I think I’ll be in for a long wait .

Thanks I would think since SV is triple milled it would normally last longer than “croaps “ but it makes sense MdC is known for its long life...
It would be interesting to hear how others compare it to croaps in terms of longevity. Now that I have used it, I am totally OK paying a higher initial price for it as long as the per shave price is reasonable. Although I haven't tried as much as many on this forum, this is the first soap that I found a noticeable difference.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
For those that have used both SV and MdC which one last longer?

I still have not finished a puck of either, I still have the Felce 4.1 and have not touched the MdC Fougere yet, still have the samples I’ve gotten for the original and Fougere MdC.

I would like to try the 4.3 version but I still have the Cosmo and the first version of Colonia.

I don’t want to buy any soap until I finish a puck. I think I’ll be in for a long wait .

I can't say which one lasts longer, but I use both and they both last a looong time.

IMO, cost per shave is nominal, especially compared to the newer super fatted artisan and croaps.

Cost per shave, this soap packs a punch. The price of admission is high if the scent is unknown to you. But if you’re pleased with the scent, you’ll get many, many shaves at an affordable price!

For the past week, I have been using a much praised very cheap cream. It gave A decent enough shave, but had a soapy scent, and my skin was not feeling good! Where SV scores by a mile,is the luxurious feeling during and after your shave. Skin care Is superlative. .as soon as I give my face a final rinse, I know I have had a great shave.

Top Bottom