What's new

Saponificio Varesino Vs Top Artisans and Martin de Candre

SV is an great all-around performer if you're looking for a non-tallow soap. It's reliable, it lasts a long time and not as expensive outright.

With that said, MdC is very good too, the scents are simpler and less robust but I'd give them a slight edge on the slickness and ease of making lather. Sometimes I'm in a mood for simpler scents so this can be a plus.

Both are very good but I'd say post-shave feel and robustness of scent goes to SV as this is what's lacking in MdC in my opinion. MdC can also be a bit drying.

I find SV gives me fantastic shaves and my skin looks and feels fantastic afterwords. The scents all seemed to grow on me. Felce and Stella Apina are my favourites. For me the other artisans listed in this thread don't compare. I bloom the puck with hot water while I shower, then lather it for about a minute with my best badger. i have lather for days! I also have soft water here.

I've been using four flavors of SV 4.3 for over a year now, and I find it one of the easiest lathering soaps I own. No blooming, just a damp brush and maybe 15-20 swirls on the puck and I've got enough for 4 passes, easily. We have hard water here and I use synthetic, boar, and badger brushes. I face lather.

Pretty much the same for me, I usually use synthetics. I only have Opuntia but I found it super easy to load and build up a good face lather.

I can't edit my original post, but I read somewhere that SV soaps and hard water don't along very well. Can someone with hard water please comment on this as well?
Hi, ì have hard water but SV lather very easily. However, my Mùhle synthetic is hopeless! The other brush is VULFIX Grosvenor , mixed bristle and badger. Rich lather in seconds.

My only argument with SV is that the scents are on the weak side. I just sold off my Mirto because even though the scent is very pleasing, there's just not enough of it. Felce and Dolomiti are a bit stronger, but still on the weaker side compared to many artisans. I like some linger since I don't use AS, so I prefer stronger scents that are good to face lather with.

My only argument with SV is that the scents are on the weak side. I just sold off my Mirto because even though the scent is very pleasing, there's just not enough of it. Felce and Dolomiti are a bit stronger, but still on the weaker side compared to many artisans. I like some linger since I don't use AS, so I prefer stronger scents that are good to face lather with.
In my opinion, Opuntia is the strongest scent from SV. It is also my least favorite.
I ended up keeping Mirto & Felce. I use the matching aftershave as well.

The protective quality far out weighs the weaker scent of SV . I have tried a feather blade in my Mùhle Rocca . Normally this blade caused nicks and irritation but with SV it was as comfortable as the polsilver. There seems to be a formula in SV which gives magical protection.
Scents are fleeting in most soaps, and I reckon strong ones give a lot of guys irritation.

Whilst I prefer a synthetic with my SV soaps, I like the luxury factor of using a badger with them.

I have dolomiti, tundra, manna, felce and now Stella on the way.

The dolomiti is not only my favorite SV but probably my favorite scent of any soap I've ever used!!

Dolomiti was the first I bought and is a favourite of mine. It is also one of the cheapest . It doesn't come in a tin, so maybe worth getting one big a tin which you can use as a refill one which perfectly fits SV pucks.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been able to compare SV to specifically Sudsy Soapery/Midnight&Two/LAShavingSoap/CatiesBubbles?

I enjoy my SV, but have been considering trying one of these domestic choices as my puck is running low...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been able to compare SV to specifically Sudsy Soapery/Midnight&Two/LAShavingSoap/CatiesBubbles?

I enjoy my SV, but have been considering trying one of these domestic choices as my puck is running low...
I like SV a lot, but I prefer most, if not all, of the tallow soaps that I've used. I highly recommend some Barrister and Mann.

The only SV soap I have used is the latest formula beta 4.3. It is an excellent soap. The postshave feel is not quite as good as the very best soaps available, but still pretty good.

I have tried The Sudsy Soapery, but most of their scents cause irritation of my skin due to high concentrations of lemon, lime, grapefruit, and peppermint. Because of that irritation, I have not been able to give them a fair evaluation. I can tolerate these scent notes as part of a complex accord, but not as simple scents.

Caties Bubbles is a highly regarded soap. It is a lot softer than SV, but performance is excellent. CB has a wide variety of scents.

I have not tried Midnight and Two, but it has been updated recently and the new formula comes highly recommended by some forum members, so I am considering adding it to my collection of soaps.

I have not used LA Shaving. Most of the online reviews date back a few years, so I do not know if the soaps have been updated recently. I understand that the artisan is attempting to emulate the Martin de Candre formula. However, I think the primary focus might be on the fragrance rather than on the performance of the soaps. Thus, whether they work for you may depend upon what you are looking for in a soap.

MdC, SV, and WK are among some of my favorite soaps. SV and MdC (particularly MdC) last me much longer than WK.

MdC performs the best for me but all are great. I’ve tried SV 4.1 and 4.3. Both fantastic too. WK great post shave feel.

SV is in a league of its own. I have tried all the soaps on your list on in samples and I bought the SV Felce 4.3.

PdP and MdC are no doubt good performers. They are very slick but the residual slickness and post shave feel are not there for me. PdP tended to be a little irritating if left on the face for too long. With these I definitely need to follow up with a balm. SV is superfatted to an extent that balms are not required. This may be a disadvantage if you have very oily skin. My skin is middle of the road and SV is perfect.

Wholly Kaw is also very good technically but the scents and consistency are not for me. I prefer a hard soap and more natural scents. The lather is very dense and yogurty. Post shave and mildness on the skin are sensational.

Grab some samples if you can. I don’t think that you would be disappointed in any of these.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wickham is my personal favorite soap. The scents are some of the best I’ve ever smelled. The performance of the soap base is second to none.

Its my #1. Closely followed by CRS cream and Phoenix & Beau soaps. CRS and P&B both also have spectacular scent profiles.

Top Bottom