What's new

Saponificio Varesino soaps

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Al,

I’ve used both the shave dash samples as well as the full tub version of Felce. Be sure and load the brush well using the sample to ensure you’re giving the soap a fair shake. As I’m sure you know, sample sizes of these hard soaps can be a bit trickier than the full sized variant. I think you’ll be very pleased! I have tried most SV scents and Felce is terrific. Hopefully not too strong for your liking.

John

Cheers John,

What I do with samples, is mould them into the bottom of a ramekin type pot, so there's a decent surface area to work on. I've done this with all the medium firm to hard soap samples, and it worked a treat.

In fact it worked so well, I ended up duplicating it with my regular soaps. I now dispense about 20g or so at a time into that same pot, and either refil with the same, or break off onto one of the samples for a change, before going back to the regular stuff.

As it's just a thin layer in the bottom of the deep pot, I don't get the wastage of the initial lather running over the sides. It all stays in there and continues to build. I think the days of me putting whole soaps out in the bathroom are now gone.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
IMO there is noticeable upgrade with v4.3. I tried some of the older versions and while they were fine, I prefer 4.3. YMMV!

My Dolomiti is 4.0 I remember reading a post a while back that a member asked SV when they would upgrade it. Like they have with their other soaps. SV's reply was that they felt they got this one right the first time and didn't feel the need to change anything.

My Felce is the 4.3 and I really can't tell much difference. I think the Dolomiti 4.0 may have just a slight edge for me in post shave feel. If I recall it's due to the ash they added.

Had anyone used their aftershaves???
Yes! Excellent juice. A little goes a long way. The SV 70th scent last almost all day for me and really packs a great post shave punch!
Anyone tried the 70th anniversary soap?

Do all their soaps have the same performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me, 70th performs like would expect an Elite tallow soap to! It’s one of the best of the best! It is the oldest of their current formulations, so I think it’s safe to assume the others are on par or better

Just used my dolomiti tonight again and im blown away by this soap.

Everything is perfect!!

SV soaps are amazing. Perfect shave....post shave feel is lovely. So smooth

I also got a sample from ShaveDash (Manna di Sicilia 4.3) and unfortunately it did not perform.
It just doesn't have enough slickness and protection. For me it was below average.
I tried to load and lather in different ways and it was a no go.
What I find weird is that I don't find anyone saying anything bad about this soap.
Like always YMMV.

It woukd be the sample. A small sample is hopeless! Only good for scent and what ones you like. SV recommend a thin covering of water in the puck for a few minutes, then dribbling the bloom water over a pre soaked brush, squeezed to just damp. Then loading for 20 to 30 seconds. Works every time even with hard water. No way can a small sample replicate this.

Last edited:
I had not used SV in several months, but have been dancing with Tundra Artica 4.1 this week -- this soap gives Dolomiti 4.0 a run for its money as my favorite SV. Felce Aromatica 4.3 is no slouch, but I think the unique ingredients in the the other SV soaps in my cache (dolimite silt in Dolomiti, lichen & cranberry in TA) do a better job conditioning my face.

In my experience, SV works best with hot water and a heavy load (I typically prefer cold water). I dialed in the lather using the Marco method and synthetic brushes.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just used my dolomiti tonight again and im blown away by this soap.

Everything is perfect!!

SV soaps are amazing. Perfect shave....post shave feel is lovely. So smooth

Yes, yes, they are. I heard they are made by Woodland Sprites in the Italian alps. Dolomiti is one of my favorites. They all perform like magic. I use a synthetic brush. I bloom the puck. Dip the tips of my synthetic in water. Pour the water off the soap into a bowl. I load the brush for ten seconds off of the puck. Face lather it for around 2 minutes. Wet the tips in the bloom water and face lather adding moisture. I repeat, at least four times, as it is a thirsty soap. The lather explodes into more than enough for three or more passes using this method.

Yes, yes, they are. I heard they are made by Woodland Sprites in the Italian alps. Dolomiti is one of my favorites. They all perform like magic. I use a synthetic brush. I bloom the puck. Dip the tips of my synthetic in water. Pour the water off the soap into a bowl. I load the brush for ten seconds off of the puck. Face lather it for around 2 minutes. Wet the tips in the bloom water and face lather adding moisture. I repeat, at least four times, as it is a thirsty soap. The lather explodes into more than enough for three or more passes using this method.

AmaZing stuff !!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I also got a sample from ShaveDash (Manna di Sicilia 4.3) and unfortunately it did not perform.
It just doesn't have enough slickness and protection. For me it was below average.
I tried to load and lather in different ways and it was a no go.
What I find weird is that I don't find anyone saying anything bad about this soap.
Like always YMMV.

Interesting, I find Manna very protective and soothing. Great post shave, for me.

It woukd be the sample. A small sample is hopeless! Only good for scent and what ones you like. SV recommend a thin covering of water in the puck for a few minutes, then dribbling the bloom water over a pre soaked brush, squeezed to just damp. Then loading for 20 to 30 seconds. Works every time even with hard water. No way can a small sample replicate this.

I find it hard to judge a soap from small samples. I've had soaps that I thought were "meh" after testing a small sample, only to have a whole different experience when allowed to lather from the full size puck.

I had not used SV in several months, but have been dancing with Tundra Artica 4.1 this week -- this soap gives Dolomiti 4.0 a run for its money as my favorite SV. Felce Aromatica 4.3 is no slouch, but I think the unique ingredients in the the other SV soaps in my cache (dolimite silt in Dolomiti, lichen & cranberry in TA) do a better job conditioning my face. ...

This is an important point. SV adds different ingredients to their soap base for each scent. This changes the chemistry and performance somewhat for each. For instance, out of the four SV 4.3 soaps I own I find Manna the most soothing and Felce more slick. Generally the differences are slight, but noticeable.

Ive got 3 new SV soaps on their way and i think I’m done.

Ive found my forever soaps now.

For me....nothing compares to it.

Just hoping my Timeless TI shows up tomorrow and it becomes my forever razor.

Which products smell like that?

This was in jest. Arco is a gasoline service station common in the US. Arko is a shaving soap.

I have Opuntia in Beta 4.3 and like it a great deal.

You will be very happy with your new razor and this most excellent soap.

This was in jest. Arco is a gasoline service station common in the US. Arko is a shaving soap.

I have Opuntia in Beta 4.3 and like it a great deal.

You will be very happy with your new razor and this most excellent soap.

I found this amusing, and you know what? There is a product that smells like gasoline, burned tires, and engine oil. I kid you not - Santa Maria Novella cologne. It's MAGNIFICENT! My one and only cologne. Its expensive, but well worth it.

When you first splash it on, for about an hour you smell like Ferarri's Formula One Pit Boss! After that it dies down to the most intoxicating leather scent I have ever smelled.

Top Bottom