What's new

Saponificio Varesino scents

Trying to decide between Stella Alpina (4.2) and Manna di Sicilia (4.3). I prefer scents that are clean, fresh and natural- not too strong. Generally don’t like leather, smoke, wood or strong cologne scents. Would appreciate advice from those of you who have experience with SV scents. Thanks!

Have owned tubs of:
Cosmo
70th Anniversary
Opuntia,and
healthy-sized samples of:
Mirta di Sardegna,
Manna di Sicilia.
All were outstanding performers but my two favorites were Manna di Sicilia and Opuntia, the latter of which you may also wish to consider as it seems to check all your scent criteria boxes. Unfortunately, I have not tried Stella so can’t help there. The only SV I regret not trying , yet :), is Dolomiti which seems to have many many fans on B&B.
FWIW, the scent pyramids on the SV site are pretty spot on in my experience.
Hope this is a bit helpful.

Don't have Stella Alpina (4.2) or Manna di Sicilia (4.3).

I have/had:
Dolomiti - quite an enigmatic scent, unlike any other. Fascinating, and a keeper
Felce - more straightforward, sweeter, something like T&H 1805
Mirto de Sardegna - nice scent but very faint, so sold it on.

I like Dolomiti best of the above. Clean and more dry. Medium strong scent, just right for me.

But if you want clean, fresh and natural I would look at Fitjar. Folgefonn and Fjellheim are mentholated for a fresh oceanic feel, while Havn is more herby like Dolomiti. Very fresh indeed, and not sweet at all.

SV soaps are so good and none of the scents would offend anyone.

My 2 favourites are Cosmo and Manna. The manna makes tons of lather from the suggested 20 to 30 seconds loading your brush.

I have Domiliti, Felce and Manna. I haven't started the Manna yet, but Felce and Domiliti are both great performers. I found Domiliti and Manna to have very clean, but different scents. Domiliti is definitely lighter off the puck. They are quite hard soaps and take some work to load your brush for the first couple times until the soap is more hydrated.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I enjoy both your choices but find I like the Manna scent best of all. I haven't yet tried the Cosmo.

Stella was my least favorite scent. I don't care for amber and it was too strong for me. For lighter, fresher scents look at Felce, Colonia, Flying Mango, Tundra and Opuntia.

The soaps DO get easier to lather after 2 or 3 shaves, but most new pucks load and lather well for me from the start. However, one Dolomiti I bought...i gave had 2.....did take a few uses to break it in.

A great source for samples of these would be Shave Dash. The owner is a true gentleman and the prices are very reasonable, even for shipping across the pond!

Thanks- Can you describe the scent of Stella Alpina?

No....I'm clueless at that sort of thing. It's just a really nice balanced scent with some freshness, but also some non-smoky/dirty earthiness to balance it. It's about a medium strong scent in my experience.

Very interesting thread here. I don't have a very developed sense of smell, it is worsened with 35 years of smoking. You could tell that lightly scented soaps are almost 'un scented' to my nose and coffee is just either weak roast or robust for me.

Unlike OP I am looking for strong scented soaps. I wonder which of these SV soaps you gentleman find are heavily scented? It doesn't have to be just cologne type smell as long as it smells natural.

Hi,I too have a poor sense of smell, and therefore scents don't appear strong . However, Cosmos and Manna Sicilian linger on. These are actually my favourite soaps, and I think Manna is outstanding in the shave it gives. My face is like glass after using it!

I have Dolomiti (4.0), Manna di Sicilia (4.3), and Stella Alpina (4.2) They're all in my main rotation of 5 (the other 2 are MdC Agrumes and MickeyLee the Kraken). They're all excellent! Of the 2 you ask about, I prefer Manna. They are not overpowering. Manna is more citrus. Stella is citrus with a very light wood scent. YMMV. Of the 3 I listed, I prefer Dolomiti. Again, YMMV. They are all clean and fresh. Hope this helps. I bought them all, and I'm glad I did. I'll be using Dolomiti in the FFFMM in March. SV is the best! Good luck.

mike.gif

A soap with a good formula (for example Valobra hard soap unscented) for me is better than a fragrant light formula non protective soap.
This morning i Used SV Felci my post is terribly soft and smooth.

Top Bottom