What's new

Saponificio Varesino puck meets Nivea tin

Probably I'm not alone with my preferences, so I thought I post this.

Not all soaps from Saponificio Varesino are available any longer in their original aluminium can and I was looking for one with a lid that is similar to theirs.
I find the bowl of Mitchells Wool Fat absolutely ideal, it is as wide as that my big Chubbies can comfortably load from the puck and it is as low that my Chubby 1 can go to the ground easily. The can from Saponificio Varesino is slightly lower than MWF's but in compensation a bit wider. Also perfect.

The problem: The puck from Saponificio Varesino doesn't fit any of my container. Without grating it's too wide for the bowls from MWF and Tabac and also from D.R. Harris and Arran and the typical flat bowls that come with hard soaps and these are too low for the tall SV puck on top of it.

At last I found the - for me - perfect 3rd party tin, it's the traditional Nivea Creme in the 250 ml size.

The height is very similar without the lid and it's almost exactly the same diameter. The lid from the SV fits the Nivea but with a bit much play (for storing okay, not for handling) and the lid from Nivea ever so slightly doesn't want to fit the SV bowl. (I think this is more due to their shape than the diameter.)
After using the soap for some shaves, the puck expands in the container and doesn’t move, just like with the original.

The nice thing with the Nivea is, that it's top is flat, which is great for stacking.

It's not as beautiful as the original, but somehow cool as it is such a classic thing. :001_cool:

Here are the pictures:

210613_14400-Saponificio Varesino_vs_Nivea.jpg

210613_14401-Saponificio Varesino_vs_Nivea.jpg

210613_14402-Saponificio Varesino_vs_Nivea.jpg

210613_14404-Saponificio Varesino_vs_Nivea.jpg

Last edited:
The SV pucks are a perfect fit for the clear plastic containers sold by Maggards. You can squish the puck the last half a millimetre for a nice tight, waterproof fit. Looks good too. My one complaint with SV is the lack of a suitable container. Their own wood bowls and chalices are not to everyone’s taste.

0277DAF2-9A74-4794-BD3C-F57E99B603A2.jpeg

Top Bottom