What's new

Saponificio Varesino 4.2 vs 4.0 vs 4.1

Has anyone tried the new 4.2 and 4.1 versions and can tell me how they differ from the 4.0? I really love the 4.0 but are the newer versions really a step up in performance? I'd love to get some Cosmo once it gets back in at IB but would like to hear thoughts and opinions on it.

I really don't notice a difference between any of them. Great performance and post shave feel with all of them. As for Cosmo, I find it too perfumy. Like being stuck in an elevator full of women. And I like Tabac.

I really don't notice a difference between any of them. Great performance and post shave feel with all of them. As for Cosmo, I find it too perfumy. Like being stuck in an elevator full of women. And I like Tabac.

Well I have Cosmo coming in so I might be surrounded soon! :lol:

Sorry but I can't help with a comparison. I'm currently using a puck of 4.1 - the 70th Anniversary soap. Lather is great so I assume the owners know what they are doing. I would expect later versions to be improvements.

I have Cosmo and Felce Aromatica 4.0 , I do see an improvement in slickness and post shave feel with the Cosmo especially when I use one of my sharper blades Gillette Platinum Plus . They are both slick but find the Cosmo provides a smoother feeling and moisturizing properties.
I do prefer the scent of the Felce Aromatica but that's subjective.

I think even with the 4.0 the added manna ash in the manna sicilia provides better performance compared to the Felce Aromatica , also the 4.0 is larger and has more than 150g compared to the ones that come with their own container.

My Felce Aromatica weight 164 grams even after using it at least 5 times, it has the same thickness compared to Cosmo but the diameter of the puck is larger, this thing will last you a while considering how hard the puck is, as always ymmv.

I'm confused...if this company is releasing beta versions, and changing formulations so often...why are they so expensive?

I'm confused...if this company is releasing beta versions, and changing formulations so often...why are they so expensive?

They are high quality soaps and compared to other luxury brands, which is what they are, it's a pretty good deal. :001_smile

they're not THAT expensive if you order directly from Italy... shipping is reasonable and it takes a bit over a week to receive them.
Here the price is almost double.. ($38 vs ~$20)

They are high quality soaps and compared to other luxury brands, which is what they are, it's a pretty good deal. :001_smile

they're not THAT expensive if you order directly from Italy... shipping is reasonable and it takes a bit over a week to receive them.

My point was more that these are still beta versions and they are changing the formula frequently.

Generally, beta versions are sent out for testing and then the formula is released to market.

Perhaps, they should just quit calling their versions "beta".

My point was more that these are still beta versions and they are changing the formula frequently.

Generally, beta versions are sent out for testing and then the formula is released to market.

Perhaps, they should just quit calling their versions "beta".

I agree, with that assessment. I don't think it's really what we would normally call beta since beta is usually a limited testing release (alpha is internal, beta is external among volunteers generally). I wonder if they are using the term "Beta" as in second generation rather than the traditional testing terminology.

I agree, with that assessment. I don't think it's really what we would normally call beta since beta is usually a limited testing release (alpha is internal, beta is external among volunteers generally). I wonder if they are using the term "Beta" as in second generation rather than the traditional testing terminology.

This ^^^^^
THey are using beta just because they are in constant development and upgrade not because like in IT world terminology.
Probably the best soaps in the world IMO.

They've been around since 1945 I wonder how beta 1.0 was like? =) seriously has anyone tried their earlier versions? Before the beta 4.0

I got the Cosmo for $43 shipped from Italy, it got here in 3 days by FedEx

They're probably the best shave soaps I've ever used--and as of yesterday (PC Nuavia), I'm pretty sure I've used them all. :)

^ This 100%.

I am a HUGE S&V fan. I love everything of theirs that I've tried. I have Cosmo in 4.2 but have only used it once, so I won't be able to give a good comparison between the two. I'll use it this afternoon and give my thoughts.

That said, I really like 4.1.

Top Bottom