What's new

Saponificio SV turning brown....ideas?

Couple of my GD soaps in plastic containers acts this way when stored in rather hot climate. Tiny orange colored droplets just beads out from the soap. I simply lather them off and my soaps haven't turned rancid so far but I cannot say if those orange droplets are scent oils or oxidated oils.

Does anyone else hate the metal tins SV uses? Thin and easily to mis shape. My favourite is the glass container Meißner pastes come in. I say glass, but they are thick and solid and almost fit SV with a little trimming.

TOBS plastic containers are also excellent.

Soap can oxidize and go rancid (know as "dreaded orange spots" or DOS) and gets stinky. This process is greatly accelerated by the presence of multi-valent metal ions, with the worse being iron and aluminum. I would NOT store any soap in aluminum, coated or not. Just to be safe.

The other thing that can happen is that any vanillin in the fragrance will eventually turn brown. Doesn't smell rancid (and rancid fats are orange, not brown anyway) but it can look terrible. scents with lots of vanillin can cause soap to turn dark enough to make the lather brown -- still work fine, still smell fine, but not pretty.

Both processes will be slowed by freezing, so if it bothers you, take out a small amount to use now, and put the rest in the freezer.

Great explanation!! :a14::a14:

Interesting info all around. I wonder how treated the aluminum tubs are that SV prepackages some of their line in if this soap/aluminum reaction is an issue?

Does anyone else hate the metal tins SV uses? Thin and easily to mis shape.
Love they look, but yea, I was surprised the first time I held one, how flimsy it felt.

snip
The other thing that can happen is that any vanillin in the fragrance will eventually turn brown. Doesn't smell rancid (and rancid fats are orange, not brown anyway) but it can look terrible. scents with lots of vanillin can cause soap to turn dark enough to make the lather brown -- still work fine, still smell fine, but not pretty.

Both processes will be slowed by freezing, so if it bothers you, take out a small amount to use now, and put the rest in the freezer.

this reminded me of when I emailed Will at Barrister about my reserve spice looking weird with the top half of the soap looking a darker red color over the bottom half being a lighter almost white color and the soaps at the local shop not having this characteristic. He said it was due to vanillan with oxygen. ( I was leaving the lid off to dry after loading my brush)

Aluminum soap containers are plastic coated to keep the soap away from the metal. Fine as long as the plastic coating doesn't crack or get scratched, but if it does, the soap will very quickly start to corrode the metal.

FWIW, my bare pucks enjoy the clear containers sold at Stirling. They're made by Parkway Plastics.

IMG_1602.JPG

Top Bottom