What's new

Saponificio Bignoli Solido (Hard Soap)

Saponificio Bignoli has been making soft soaps for several years now and they seem to have a lot of fans. I noticed they now have a line of hard soaps (Solido) with simple scents such as Orange, Lemon and Lime. Has anyone tried these hard soaps? I'm wondering what you think about them.

Last edited:
Pics:
sb-aran.jpegsb-limone.jpegsb-berg.jpeg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My friend, Saponificio Bignoli has always been producing excellent soaps, both hard bath soaps and soft shaving soaps. These hard shaving soaps are a novelty. They are tallow-free, but contain lanolin and shea butter. I have not tried these, however the formula looks good and price is reasonable here in Italy.

I think I may already have tried these soaps under another name. The formula bears a striking resemblance to Razorock hard soaps such as What the Puck, Blue Label, etc.

Italian Barber said:
Maybe it was luck, maybe destiny, but we were contacted by a small, four person (one family), artisan shop in northern Italy that was up to the task...

Could it be, Saponificio Bignoli is the mysterious Italian artisan family? They do make soaps for third parties according to their website. The Razorock soaps are very reasonably priced.

Saponificio Bignoli “Arancia”:

Ingredients: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Geraniol.

Razorock WTP "Orange Sunrise":

Ingredients: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentatate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Geraniol.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think I may already have tried these soaps under another name. The formula bears a striking resemblance to Razorock hard soaps such as What the Puck, Blue Label, etc.

Could it be, Saponificio Bignoli is the mysterious Italian artisan family? They do make soaps for third parties according to their website. The Razorock soaps are very reasonably priced.

Saponificio Bignoli “Arancia”:

Razorock WTP "Orange Sunrise":

Very insightful observation, Sir. At this point it could be! So, let's ask the reverse question: how did you like the RazoRock hard pucks?

...So, let's ask the reverse question: how did you like the RazoRock hard pucks?
I have the Razorock What the Puck set of four pucks. These are very hard triple milled soaps. I expect one puck will last for over 120 shaves. They are best when bloomed and loaded heavy.

The value for money is amazing. On Black Friday, a set of four of these 100g soaps cost $8.88. At $2.22 each, that's quite a bargain for triple milled soaps, considering how long they will last. That's probably over a year's worth for a person who shaves daily. Of the four pucks, my favorite is the "Blue Label" (similar to older Floid Blue).

In terms of performance, these soaps are good for the money, but I don't think they compare with more expensive hard soaps such as Provence Sante Green Tea. I think they are a reincarnation of older shave soaps that you drop in a mug; intended for the typical shaver, not the "hobbiest" type person. Less expensive than Poraso or Arko. It is hard to go wrong with this soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have the Razorock What the Puck set of four pucks. These are very hard triple milled soaps. I expect one puck will last for over 120 shaves. They are best when bloomed and loaded heavy.

The value for money is amazing. On Black Friday, a set of four of these 100g soaps cost $8.88. At $2.22 each, that's quite a bargain for triple milled soaps, considering how long they will last. That's probably over a year's worth for a person who shaves daily. Of the four pucks, my favorite is the "Blue Label" (similar to older Floid Blue).

In terms of performance, these soaps are good for the money, but I don't think they compare with more expensive hard soaps such as Provence Sante Green Tea. I think they are a reincarnation of older shave soaps that you drop in a mug; intended for the typical shaver, not the "hobbiest" type person. Less expensive than Poraso or Arko. It is hard to go wrong with this soap.

Thank you very much for the long and detailed answer.

By the way, for me the best inexpensive hard puck is Ach. Brito Mogno. Amazing performer indeed, on a par with the finest pricey soaps.

...By the way, for me the best inexpensive hard puck is Ach. Brito Mogno. Amazing performer indeed, on a par with the finest pricey soaps.
The Ach. Brito Mogno (Mahogany) is one I want to try for sure. I'll have to use up something else first, my shaving shelf is filled at the moment!
:a2:

This is interesting comparison and more than likely the makers of RR Triple Milled soaps. The RR line is quite decent and as mentioned the value is incredible especially since the Black Friday sale where many of us picked up the set for crazy cheap. Blue was also my favorite of the 3 scents and the only one i currently still have in the den. Performance is quite nice and would put it up there as one of the best RR formulas.

I also got the set of 4 pucks. Love the scent of the gold label, "...quintessential Italian eau de cologne". At first I thought the lather was average, but then I switched to the wet method, and I'm really impressed with the price / performance. Whoever makes these, they do a great job.

I also got the set of 4 pucks. Love the scent of the gold label, "...quintessential Italian eau de cologne". At first I thought the lather was average, but then I switched to the wet method, and I'm really impressed with the price / performance. Whoever makes these, they do a great job.
It seems these soaps improve as you use them more often. I guess they pick up extra water, so they load easier.

My friend, Saponificio Bignoli has always been producing excellent soaps, both hard bath soaps and soft shaving soaps. These hard shaving soaps are a novelty. They are tallow-free, but contain lanolin and shea butter. I have not tried these, however the formula looks good and price is reasonable here in Italy.

Marco, would you recommend using your wet brush method for lathering the Saponificio Bignoli soft shaving soaps straight from the container? Or are they too far on the cream side of a croap for this to work? (The two samples I have seem to be a lot softer than my Cella Bio)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, would you recommend using your wet brush method for lathering the Saponificio Bignoli soft shaving soaps straight from the container? Or are they too far on the cream side of a croap for this to work? (The two samples I have seem to be a lot softer than my Cella Bio)

Sir, I'd consider treating it like a cream. Just scoop it out (the exact quantity depends on how large your brush is) and either bowl or palm lather it. Please, let me know how it goes. :001_smile

Sir, I'd consider treating it like a cream. Just scoop it out (the exact quantity depends on how large your brush is) and either bowl or palm lather it. Please, let me know how it goes. :001_smile

Thanks, I tried the Indian Sandalwood today as per your suggestion and had a very pleasant shave. A small amount gives a lot of lather and its thirsty for a cream but once I got the water content correct I was impressed. Definitely a solid performer.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks, I tried the Indian Sandalwood today as per your suggestion and had a very pleasant shave. A small amount gives a lot of lather and its thirsty for a cream but once I got the water content correct I was impressed. Definitely a solid performer.

Excellent, Sir. :thumbup1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am trying not to read about soaps.

VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

This is really the only soap I use much (almost every day month after month). I have many others of course and am occasionally tempted and buy another soap only to use it once.

The most expensive soaps are the ones I use once.

I'm trying to forget I read this thread.

Happy shaves,

Jim

just ranting to myself...
as I read the ingredient list I was thinking, mmm, I'mgoingtotrythissoap, then "Tetrasodium Etidronate", bang, nope.
Why do they need to put Tetrasodium EDTA or similar chemicals into almost everything, even when the rest looks pretty decent?

Top Bottom