What's new

Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano/Santa Maria del Fiore

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've just spent an hour reading about knock offs and tribute scents, and I still have a question about these two- Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano and Razorock's Santa Maria del Fiore. I'm at the precipice of purchasing the SMN colonia. I'd prefer to wait, delay gratification for 6 months, and then reward myself for restraining myself from making purchases for a while by getting the Tabacco Toscano and the Fieno (Hay) at the same time, just as summer begins.

I've enjoyed the SMdF soap and splash since it first came out. 'Only' a dopobarba, and not a colonia, it is at least of cologne strength on my skin. Incredible longevity, and unlike the other Razorock knockoffs I have tried, it continues to smell 'expensive' all the way through the dry down. The others may smell like Acqua di Parma or Rive Gauche or whatever when first applied, but an hour in their cheapness is usually betrayed and they no longer smell like their models. In other words, an hour in and XXX no longer smells like AdP Colonia- it doesn't follow the development of the Acqua di Parma through drydown. I don't have experience with Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Colonia, so I don't know how true SMdF is to the original through the dry down; all I'm saying is that this after shave smells good for much longer than any other knock offs I've used.

Joe from Italian Barber said on this and on other platforms that the oils in SMN TT Colonia and SMdF splash are identical- from the same source. I have no idea if that's true. I've always experienced the IB men as stand up guys, but I also know that salesmen say all sorts of things. I'm pretty sure there are men who will read this thread who have used both products and who can tell us to what extent these two products retain their similarity from application through dry down. Looking forward to any discussion that might ensue.

have not used Joe's SMdF splash nor the cologne, but can say that the SMN TT is indeed great!
however, at $18, the SMdF cologne isn't a huge risk, either!
and, while you're in the tobacco-and-smoke aisle, what about Acqua de Cuba? Or Peau? Or Alt Innsbruck?
Have fun!!

proxy.php

I only have experience with SMN Tobacco Tuscano and Colonia(Acqua di Regina is the new name for SMN Colonia). Have not used the SmdF products.

I love SMN Tobacco Tuscano as a fragrance, a very smooth suede, a clean and bright tobacco on it’s best behavior. I recommend it.

To me, Acqua di Regina is okay. I would not complain if I ran out of Acqua di Parma Colonia and had SMN still. (Regina is likeable, but with caveats.) You have take into context it’s history which is the only thing that really redeems beyond being a sub-par AdP in my eyes. Supposedly this is the fragrance made in the Colonia style for Catherine De Medici by Tuscan Friars before she left to become Queen of France, and as a result that original colonia would have been the grandparent of both the Italian and French style Colonias, or so the marketing goes. If it is true however, SMN has not messed with the original friar’s formula very much because it does smell like a less refined “Colonia” scent. But only just barely less refined. It still smells like a very nice colonia until you do a direct comparison with it’s comparatively younger colonia that is Acqua di Parma and that is when the deficiencies start to pop out.

Personally I decided to stick with Acqua di Parma Colonia even though I appreciate what Acqua di Regina is. I figure my fragrances are for personal use and not to exist as an interactive fragrance museum.

Last edited:
I've just spent an hour reading about knock offs and tribute scents, and I still have a question about these two- Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano and Razorock's Santa Maria del Fiore. I'm at the precipice of purchasing the SMN colonia. I'd prefer to wait, delay gratification for 6 months, and then reward myself for restraining myself from making purchases for a while by getting the Tabacco Toscano and the Fieno (Hay) at the same time, just as summer begins.

I've enjoyed the SMdF soap and splash since it first came out. 'Only' a dopobarba, and not a colonia, it is at least of cologne strength on my skin. Incredible longevity, and unlike the other Razorock knockoffs I have tried, it continues to smell 'expensive' all the way through the dry down. The others may smell like Acqua di Parma or Rive Gauche or whatever when first applied, but an hour in their cheapness is usually betrayed and they no longer smell like their models. In other words, an hour in and XXX no longer smells like AdP Colonia- it doesn't follow the development of the Acqua di Parma through drydown. I don't have experience with Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Colonia, so I don't know how true SMdF is to the original through the dry down; all I'm saying is that this after shave smells good for much longer than any other knock offs I've used.

Joe from Italian Barber said on this and on other platforms that the oils in SMN TT Colonia and SMdF splash are identical- from the same source. I have no idea if that's true. I've always experienced the IB men as stand up guys, but I also know that salesmen say all sorts of things. I'm pretty sure there are men who will read this thread who have used both products and who can tell us to what extent these two products retain their similarity from application through dry down. Looking forward to any discussion that might ensue.

I think I know what you mean when it comes to aftershave splashes not living up to their models, and I agree with you.

I have both the SMN Tobacco Toscano EDC and the RR SMdF Splash. In my opinion, the scent of the splash is identical to that of the cologne. I have all sorts of splashes, which fall into this category (being modeled upon a particular scent) and I can’t think of any other one which fits this bill (being indistinguishable from the original scent). As an aside, I was unaware that Joe said that it was the actual scent of Tobacco Toscano.

Owen Bawn

I think I know what you mean when it comes to aftershave splashes not living up to their models, and I agree with you.

I have both the SMN Tobacco Toscano EDC and the RR SMdF Splash. In my opinion, the scent of the splash is identical to that of the cologne. I have all sorts of splashes, which fall into this category (being modeled upon a particular scent) and I can’t think of any other one which fits this bill (being indistinguishable from the original scent). As an aside, I was unaware that Joe said that it was the actual scent of Tobacco Toscano.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. It really is an extraordinary fragrance, especially for a knock-off.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, and if you want a heapin’ helpin’ of SMN TT, get the body balm. It’s intensely scented, 250ml and not badly priced for that size. It will do ‘double duty’, you can use it as an AS balm if you’re careful not to use too much, or dilute it with a bit of distilled water. A little on the elbows and forearms and you eon’t need an EdC. It does not smell the same as the SMdF EdC.

Owen Bawn

Time for a bump. Perhaps someone new has experience with both Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore aftershave and Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Colonia and can comment on their differences/similarities?

Owen Bawn

Heading into the cooler weather I was again tempted to get the real Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano, but I still have 2+ bottles of the SMdF splash. So I got a couple of 30ml bottles of the SMdF parfum that Razorock now sell. I figure if I'm satisfied with the Razorock version why possibly ruin that by learning how much better the real thing might be? Better to stay blissful in my ignorance.

Heading into the cooler weather I was again tempted to get the real Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano, but I still have 2+ bottles of the SMdF splash. So I got a couple of 30ml bottles of the SMdF parfum that Razorock now sell. I figure if I'm satisfied with the Razorock version why possibly ruin that by learning how much better the real thing might be? Better to stay blissful in my ignorance.

Coincidentally, I broke out my SMdF aftershave recently. I'm fond of the scent, but it's practically cologne level in strength. So, I use an unscented splash and follow up with just a few drops of the SMdF.

How much of this do you usually apply? Do you use it as a aftershave or like a cologne?

Owen Bawn

Coincidentally, I broke out my SMdF aftershave recently. I'm fond of the scent, but it's practically cologne level in strength. So, I use an unscented splash and follow up with just a few drops of the SMdF.

How much of this do you usually apply? Do you use it as a aftershave or like a cologne?
Great question. I pour a little in my palm and use it as an aftershave, but then I pour another few shakes in my palm and apply it to the back of my neck and arms. I don't bathe in it, but I do use a little extra. Lasts 2-3 hours. That's a long time for an aftershave. I haven't used the parfum yet, but I imagine I'll use it quite sparingly, perhaps as a way to freshen the scent at lunchtime.

Top Bottom