What's new

santa maria novella and sensitive skin

For those think they have sensitive skin, if you have tried santa maria novella, can you comment on whether or not it worked for you? There's nothing in the ingredients that stands out as something problematic for me. But I could say the same about the ingredients of Acqua di Parma and for whatever reason AdP caused a lot of burning for me.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Hard to say. "Sensitive skin" means different things to different people. Best to try a sample and see how your skin likes it.

As an example, I do not consider my skin to be sensitive, but any traditional almond scented Italian croap (Vitos, ABC, Cella, etc.) really irritates my skin. But many many shavers use thhise without issue. Go figure. I use SMN, my skin loves it.

Good luck.

Hard to say. "Sensitive skin" means different things to different people. Best to try a sample and see how your skin likes it.

As an example, I do not consider my skin to be sensitive, but any traditional almond scented Italian croap (Vitos, ABC, Cella, etc.) really irritates my skin. But many many shavers use thhise without issue. Go figure. I use SMN, my skin loves it.

Good luck.
Excellent point.

ABC worked OK for me in terms of sensitivity. I haven't tried Vitos or Cella.

The high end creams that do not work for me include SJOL and AdP. I was surprised about AdP.

Anyway, I placed an order for SMN. Worst-case I'll take a hit and put it on BST.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Excellent point.

ABC worked OK for me in terms of sensitivity. I haven't tried Vitos or Cella.

The high end creams that do not work for me include SJOL and AdP. I was surprised about AdP.

Anyway, I placed an order for SMN. Worst-case I'll take a hit and put it on BST.

I hope it works out for you. Truly, it is an excellent shave cream.

I seem to have pretty sensitive skin given the number of soaps & creams that have causes some sort of irritation. SMN is one that has never causes any irritation for me and it has become one of my all time favorites. Like Tomo said, it's a great summer cream due to the menthol.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
SMN is supposedly formulated for sensitive skin, whatever that is.

AdP went away from the colonia scent in v2 (brown tub, brown top) because of sensitivities, but there’s nothing like colonia. They could make an unscented version of v3, hint hint.

I miss XPEC scented. I never owned a jar but had ordered samples a couple of times and really liked it. I was in a different mindset back that and didn't want to spend so much on a cream.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I never liked the scented XPEC - I got the faint ‘fecal’ note like some people get from Czech and Speake Cuba. Now the unscented, I was all over that. It was one of the few unscented products that truly had no scent, I think @shavefan said that it had the scent of the ‘vacuum of space’ lol.

I never liked the scented XPEC - I got the faint ‘fecal’ note like some people get from Czech and Speake Cuba. Now the unscented, I was all over that. It was one of the few unscented products that truly had no scent, I think @shavefan said that it had the scent of the ‘vacuum of space’ lol.
What do you think of the scent of SMN?

I went through an unscented phase with everything (including bath soap, laundry soap, cleaning fluids), but now I prefer having some scent. I gravitate towards woody/earthy scents.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

"Black hole of scent" IIRC. And I'm sticking to it!

I really need to dig out my jar of Xpec unscented, it's been too long. Marvelous stuff.

For those think they have sensitive skin, if you have tried santa maria novella, can you comment on whether or not it worked for you? There's nothing in the ingredients that stands out as something problematic for me. But I could say the same about the ingredients of Acqua di Parma and for whatever reason AdP caused a lot of burning for me.
I had the same burning problem with the Acqua di Parma deodorant.

This and Macca Root both are the only soaps/creams that have caused me acne. Now I will seldom use them and will shower afterwards.....use alcohol EDT and seems to be OK. I do prefer MDC or SV

The cream arrived Monday. I was all excited and gave it a try immediately. And tried it again today.

The scent is great (a bit overpowering even). The menthol is strong, perhaps too strong.

Performance and the effect on my sensitive skin have been a disappointment

As far as performance, it's nowhere as slick or cushiony as MdC. It's more on par with my favorite cream from the past, pre-MdC days -- the Muhle Organic.

As far as my skin's sensitivity, it causes tiny bumps, not really visible unless I look very closely, but I can definitely feel it when I run my hand along my shaven face.

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to BST this one. :(

Last edited:
The cream arrived Monday. I was all excited and gave it a try immediately. And tried it again today.

The scent is great (a bit overpowering even). The menthol is strong, perhaps too strong.

Performance and the effect on my sensitive skin have been a disappointment

As far as performance, it's nowhere as slick or cushiony as MdC. It's more on par with my favorite cream from the past, pre-MdC days -- the Muhle Organic.

As far as my skin's sensitivity, it causes tiny bumps, not really visible unless I look very closely, but I can definitely feel it when I run my hand along my shaven face.

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to BST this one. :(

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. :sad:

I hate when you have high hopes for a product that end in disappointment after trying it. The worst for me was Boellis Panama 1924 soap. I loved the scent and performance, but it caused an intense burning sensation on my face that lasted the entire day. I had such high hopes for it, too.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. :sad:

I hate when you have high hopes for a product that end in disappointment after trying it. The worst for me was Boellis Panama 1924 soap. I loved the scent and performance, but it caused an intense burning sensation on my face that lasted the entire day. I had such high hopes for it, too.
My easiest switch was from AoS to The Gentlemen's Refinery which happened as soon as P&G acquired them. It took me a while to find and settle on Muhle Organic. And then it took me a long time to find and settle on MdC.

In between I tried many like Castle & Forbes, SJOL, Every Man Jack, some French croap being sold by Bullgoose, L'Occitane Cade, Origins, and countless other samples I can't recall.

I really need to dig out my jar of Xpec unscented, it's been too long. Marvelous stuff.
Don't the creams dry up over time? At least I remember seeing "best by" dates on Muhle Organic and they weren't that far out (IIRC about 2 year at most). Maybe it just had less preservatives.

Top Bottom