What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

Got my jar today and did my first shave with the soap. Amazing scent but it lack slickness maybe i just need to use more water next time. I was surprised it was even softer than i thought in the first place. My Semogue 1305 was digging a hole in the soap even when i wasn't pushing the brush too much. It might be just easier to scoop little bit by fingers off the jar and rub it in my face next time.

Has anyone here leave it without the cap to dry it a litte bit to make it harder or does the scent just fade a away before it gets harder?

Got my jar today and did my first shave with the soap. Amazing scent but it lack slickness maybe i just need to use more water next time. I was surprised it was even softer than i thought in the first place. My Semogue 1305 was digging a hole in the soap even when i wasn't pushing the brush too much. It might be just easier to scoop little bit by fingers off the jar and rub it in my face next time.

Has anyone here leave it without the cap to dry it a litte bit to make it harder or does the scent just fade a away before it gets harder?

+1 for more water, this soap is pretty slick but it seems like I used quite a bit of water for it. I left the cap off for maybe half a day to let the soap harden a little and I didn't notice a significant loss of scent, maybe a little weaker but it still smells very nice. After 4-5 hours exposed it did harden up a little but it's still a very soft soap, almost a cream. Love it. I'm killing a puck of Tabac right now but I'm pretty sure this is next.

mine had nice slickness.
yours might still have some summer heat that needs to dissipate.
my tub was not as dense as cella yet denser than Creighton creams.

I started my jar yesterday. It was still very soft so I just dug out an almond sized snurdle and smeared it on the bottom of my lather bowl. It made great lather almost immediately. Scent was awesome and the menthol/eucalyptus was a great summertime treat. I will comment on efficacy after a few days of use. I want to dial it in before I pass judgement.

I have received my jar today and have to say I am pleased with the lather however the scent kinda reminds me of ben-gay !!!!!!!

Last edited:
I posted pretty much this same thing over in the 3017 thread. I've been using the RazoRock SMdF all week. So far, great shaves. I've been playing with it to see how much water it can hold. Quite a bit has been my experience. It stays slick, even when over-hydrated. Cushion seems to suffer if I put too much water to it. There seems to be a sweet spot where its slick but still has good cushion. It doesn't take that much water to reach it but the range is fairly wide.

I've also tried it with our hard tap water and some distilled water. The softer, distilled water makes much better lather and has a wider sweet spot. It works fine with the tap water; the range of optimum lather is just more sensitive to how much water is added.

I'm a bit conflicted on the scent as I use it more. I like the tobacco/vanilla base - I like it a lot. The eucalyptus and menthol are great for summer but they step on the tobacco/vanilla pretty hard. It seems like a bit of an olfactory war zone. If I were designing this, I might just leave the eucalyptus and menthol out. Of course, that's my opinion and this is a completely subjective aspect. What is the opinion of the rest of the group?

I posted pretty much this same thing over in the 3017 thread. I've been using the RazoRock SMdF all week. So far, great shaves. I've been playing with it to see how much water it can hold. Quite a bit has been my experience. It stays slick, even when over-hydrated. Cushion seems to suffer if I put too much water to it. There seems to be a sweet spot where its slick but still has good cushion. It doesn't take that much water to reach it but the range is fairly wide.

I've also tried it with our hard tap water and some distilled water. The softer, distilled water makes much better lather and has a wider sweet spot. It works fine with the tap water; the range of optimum lather is just more sensitive to how much water is added.

I'm a bit conflicted on the scent as I use it more. I like the tobacco/vanilla base - I like it a lot. The eucalyptus and menthol are great for summer but they step on the tobacco/vanilla pretty hard. It seems like a bit of an olfactory war zone. If I were designing this, I might just leave the eucalyptus and menthol out. Of course, that's my opinion and this is a completely subjective aspect. What is the opinion of the rest of the group?

Shave Revolution "Aficionado" is exactly that, Tobacco and Vanilla. I know shave revolution does a pretty good performing soap, but i cannot speak to the scent at the moment. I am a big tobacco scent guy, so i am probably going to get some soon. Just found it today.

It looks to have a similar scent profile to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille cologne, which is fantastic.

I like the scent combination a lot. Makes it complex and rich, rather than just another menthol eucalyptus soap.

I haven't used SMdF, but I have used both the SMN cream and the Tabacco Toscano cologne on its own. The cologne is basically a tobacco and vanilla accord. On its own, I think it is too cloying and sweet. However, in the cream, with the menthol, eucalyptus and camphor notes, it takes on a different complexity and becomes a lot better. I think the added notes complement the sweetness of the base scent, rather than do battle with it, and we end up with a really nice scent for a shaving cream, which I would much more willingly use than the cologne.

That was well explained Kent. I've had trouble with the scent from right off. I can't get the notes you guys describe consistently. Sometimes it hits tobacco, sometimes vanilla, sometimes something kinda floral, but always with a eucalyptus top. I just can't wrap my head or my nose around it, so I guess it's just not my thing. Great soap, wonky scent.

I had a bit stuck on the lid when I got it, about 3 shaves worth, and that's all I've used. Knowing right off i was gonna be iffy with the scent thats all i wanted to do to try it out. But since I haven't opened it up again in a few weeks, I think it's time I call it and let it go honestly. Oh well, can't win 'em all, but no harm no foul. Just the way it goes sometimes!

I am going to finish this jar of product and I will enjoy it. I just won't be ordering it again due to my tastes vis-a-vis the scent. It was a near hit for me though. Love the lather, I'm just so-so on the scent.

Just received my jar today. Seeing that it's almost cream-like in texture and consistency, how are you guys loading up? Are you loading in the jar or are you pinching a bit off and rubbing directly onto the brush/face?

Just received my jar today. Seeing that it's almost cream-like in texture and consistency, how are you guys loading up? Are you loading in the jar or are you pinching a bit off and rubbing directly onto the brush/face?
I was loading from the jar. When and if I use another jar, I'll scoop and bowl lather as I consider it a soft cream.

I am going to finish this jar of product and I will enjoy it. I just won't be ordering it again due to my tastes vis-a-vis the scent. It was a near hit for me though. Love the lather, I'm just so-so on the scent.

I load from the jar directly. No issues.

Also, I just got my second jar, just in case IB stops making it.... :)

I just shaved again with SMN after shaving several times with Santa Maria del Fiore. I must say SMN is still a little notch over it. Not by much, but the the scent of SMN seems just over all better balanced, more refined. But then given the price point, I will still buy Santa Maria del Fiore again instead of SMN, until I visit Florence again ;)

Kent,

I got to use some of the sample that you sent me yesterday. The scent is pretty awesome, but I don't particularly scent tobacco in it. Lather was on the slicker end of the spectrum and took a huge amount of water. I actually just rubbed the croap into my face like a cream and then lathered it. Unfortunately I don't think I loaded enough on to my face, which led to a lighter lather than I liked. Post shave was actually pretty good for Razorock. I didn't use any aftershave and my skin was happy. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty damn good summer soap.

Top Bottom