What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

I am starting my jar tomorrow so took a few minutes, as I always do, to weigh the container and soap. Joe has always said he fills soaps on Volume and not weight and it must be the case. Most of my RR soaps come in anywhere from 10-20+grams less then their volume would be if it was in grams (is, 120ml of soap often weighs 100g for me).

Below are the numbers for RR SMdF for anyone interested. Not picking on RR for the weights or measurements as he has been open about how it's weighed and don't recall ever seeing RR soaps weighed in grams. I just prefer to know what the Gram weight is as that is what I track after I complete a soap and in like to know the cost per gram.

Glass Jar Empty, NO lid - 341.6g
Raw soap weight - 519.8

The actual weight of the soap in the container, in grams, works out to be - 178.2g. So for those people thinking this is 250g of soap, it isn't.

Below are pics. The full soap jar shows 4g less then it is, as I had removed 4g to sample when it first arrived.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And yes, I need to clean my sink.

Last edited:
As far as I remember, the old solid soaps from RazoRock actually was measured by their weight and not volume.

But you can't really go by the 1 ml = 1 gram rule, since it all depends on the density of the product you are looking at.

But anyway, that is one heavy soap when you add the weight of the container. Explains why the shipping would have cost me a fortune to get it directly to Denmark :w00t:

D

Deleted member 48987

The actual weight of the soap in the container, in grams, works out to be - 178.2g. So for those people thinking this is 250g of soap, it isn't.

Very interesting Bruce, thanks for posting. While it isn't 250g, I still see it as a bargain relative to the price of SMN and given the nice presentation. I suspect you're going to have a great time with this soap. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Very interesting Bruce, thanks for posting. While it isn't 250g, I still see it as a bargain relative to the price of SMN and given the nice presentation. I suspect you're going to have a great time with this soap. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Nothing was misrepresented on the jar or the sale, I just get g weights for my 3017 usage as oz can't be measured as easily.

I kick off my jar tomorrow. I will likely start with 50g removed just in case it doesn't agree with me or it doesn't compete with Haslinger. Then I can move the remaining portion and keep it untouched by a brush....but I have high hopes for it and hope it lives up to the hype.

D

Deleted member 48987

Nothing was misrepresented on the jar or the sale, I just get g weights for my 3017 usage as oz can't be measured as easily.

I kick off my jar tomorrow. I will likely start with 50g removed just in case it doesn't agree with me or it doesn't compete with Haslinger. Then I can move the remaining portion and keep it untouched by a brush....but I have high hopes for it and hope it lives up to the hype.

Sounds like a plan. At this point has it hardened considerably or is it still really soft?

Sounds like a plan. At this point has it hardened considerably or is it still really soft?
It's still quite soft and tacky but came out of the jar in pretty much one big clump. Not MDC hard but not Cream soft. Kind like what I remember my good tub of CF to be like.

I just received a generous and well packaged sample to try from Sarimento1. Thank you sir!

I've not opened the plastic bag yet but from the outside I can make out a faint tobacco scent. I've never used a cream but to me it has a consistency that I would equate to a cream.

I'd like this sample to last so I can give this a good evaluation. Should I approach this like I've read should be done with a cream.... i.e. use an almond size amount?

Of course the engineer in me struggles with that as an almond isn't a standard unit of measure. So a picture would be appreciated. ☺

I just received a generous and well packaged sample to try from Sarimento1. Thank you sir!

I've not opened the plastic bag yet but from the outside I can make out a faint tobacco scent. I've never used a cream but to me it has a consistency that I would equate to a cream.

I'd like this sample to last so I can give this a good evaluation. Should I approach this like I've read should be done with a cream.... i.e. use an almond size amount?

Of course the engineer in me struggles with that as an almond isn't a standard unit of measure. So a picture would be appreciated. ☺
Just load until the protolather looks good

I managed to snag one yesterday. It was touch and go for a bit. When I would go to checkout, it would say sold out but on the order page, it was fine. I ended up logging out, logging back in, and refreshing my browser and then I was able to checkout. Looking forward to trying this product.

I just received mine! :D

I've already shaved so it will have to wait 2 days for me to try it, but I did a test lather in my hand and all I can say is that the scent is very veryclose to the original SMN! For about a third of the price, if the performance is similar this is my new favorite soap! :-D

I lathered in my hand and can't stop smelling it...if that's any indication of how I like it so far...;-)

Tested it this morning: awesome :D

The scent is not exactly as SMN, close enough but a bit sweeter and the tabacco is not as strong. I prefer SMN to it but just very, very slightly. I just hope they keep making this soap because I plan keeping on buying it! Performance is also top notch obviously :)

Tested it this morning: awesome :D

The scent is not exactly as SMN, close enough but a bit sweeter and the tabacco is not as strong. I prefer SMN to it but just very, very slightly. I just hope they keep making this soap because I plan keeping on buying it! Performance is also top notch obviously :)
I'm looking forward to the aftershave. Since I received my jar, I lather with it almost everyday. It's going to last awhile, there's a lot of soap in that jar. IB should keep it available as the flasgship of their fantastic line of products. I sure like it.

Tried it for the first time tonight and it is absolutely amazing. What's a good tobacco/vanilla aftershave to go with it?

Even the text on Razo Rock's label is the same as on SMN: "mildly scented with a Tuscan Tobacco cologne. To use with a shaving brush"

SMN doesn't contain lanolin, though. I live in Italy and here it costs 35 euros ($38). I am enjoying it so far.

Finally a finnish vendor got this so i had to put in an order. Should be here on monday with Dapper Dan aftershaves and a tub of Cella.

I've read so much good things about this soap so i'm definetly eager to try this and at the same time it's first Razorock soap for me as well.

Top Bottom