What's new

sanitizing

All I'm saying is that your statement about viruses was just plain wrong.
If you or anyone else wants to go to extreme lengths, that's fine. That's your right.
You can soak your razor in hydrochloric acid if it makes you feel better, it's your razor and your life -do what you feel comfortable doing.
But fear mongering isn't tolerated here, and it isn't your right to expose those who don't know better to information that is not true.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Phil,
I'm certainly not trying to do any "fear mongering", so if I'm coming across that way then I truly do apologize. It certainly isn't my intention. As far as the killing of viruses statement goes technically it was incorrect. Your correction about inactivating viruses is accurate.

I don't want to be argumentative at all because I believe that this is a personal choice that each individual has to make. I do understand that the Scrubbing Bubbles / Alcohol solution is likely cleaning the razor adequately and that in all reality from a razor sitting, or the prior person using it before likely doesn't have a virus, so in the majority of instances there isn't a virus to remove in the first place. I get that.

You do seem to be educated on this subject so if you don't mind I do have a question about why we use scrubbing bubbles in the first place, and please don't say something like "because it works". I understand using it to clean soap scum, etc. But why do we use it to actually sanitize a razor? Did I miss some study stating that it kills HIV, AIDS, etc? Or did someone just have some in the house and went, "that'll work, good enough". I get the you're scrubbing it off thing, but what if you don't get it all? If you miss something that is there then you are taking an unnecessary risk, it's a very minor risk, but it's a risk none the less. My point is why take a risk at all.

Barbicide is very inexpensive and has been around for a very, very long time so why we even use scrubbing bubbles for this purpose puzzles me. Maybe I'm just not much of a risk taker, but to me it just doesn't seem like the proper tool for the job.

I really hope this post isn't out of line as this is a topic that comes up from time to time.
I usually just post a one line answer telling them to use Barbicide because that's what it's made for. I then read all of the scrubbing bubble recommendations and scratch my head and wonder why it is recommended.

After reading about a dozen of these threads over a long period of time I'd really like to know more about why it is suggested.

I'm not a scientist so maybe I'm missing something, but I would definitely like to have more knowledge about why we use this product for this purpose. I truly don't understand why it is done this way when there are products actually made for this purpose.

I look forward to and do appreciate your response.

Thank you,

I use scrubbing bubbles to assist with any hardwater residue. I have used CLR for that also and for tiny rust spots. That, some mechanical scrubbing and a short soak in alcohol infused with bee propolis (I'm a bee keeper) do everything I want.

After reading about a dozen of these threads over a long period of time I'd really like to know more about why it is suggested.

I'm not a scientist so maybe I'm missing something, but I would definitely like to have more knowledge about why we use this product for this purpose. I truly do.

By way of answering a couple questions, from someone who specialized in epidemiology:
Scrubbing Bubbles is popularly recommended for cleaning not for purposes of disinfection (though since it contains sodium hydroxide- lye- it will do that as well) but because it does a great job of loosening caked and hardened grime, allowing it to be scrubbed away. The sodium hydroxide is also the reason it should be used with caution on certain metals, as it can react and etch surfaces.
In terms of eliminating pathogens, it is first off likely unnecessary. As I mentioned, few viruses can survive outside a host for more than a few hours. The exceptions are viruses that are capable of forming crystals, such as Ebola, Marburg, and certain insect viruses (which cannot be contracted by humans). As long as you aren't getting your razors from Zaire, you should be safe. Most can be eliminated with isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, as it denatures the RNA/DNA of the virus, rendering it incapable of replication- and thus infecting a host. For those that are especially tough, the active ingredient in Barbicide (Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride) will take care of them. Certain bacteria can remain alive outside of a host for long spans of time, but it is limited to spore-forming organisms in the Bacillus and Clostridium families, which do include anthrax and tetanus. However, given that anthrax is a zoonosis (a disease that lives in livestock- mostly sheep- that is capable of infecting humans), you should also be safe, unless you have been using your razor to shave sheep. Again, these can be destroyed by the active ingredient in Barbicide.
My advice to you is this: as someone who is intimately familiar with many of the nastiest bugs on the planet, I would think nothing of shaving with a razor straight off an antique dealer's shelf. I would be more concerned about the accumulated grit and grime throwing off the blade seating in the razor, but in terms of pathogens the risk is very low. By all means, give those razors a good cleaning and make 'em pretty; a fine instrument deserves to look as such, eh? But if it's germs you are worried about, a dunk in Barbicide will take care of it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Scrubbing bubbles I believe is a popular choice as a sort of compromise on a good general purpose cleaner.
It's designed to be used in bathrooms, so it's very very effective at cutting scale and soap scum without attacking plating.
In addition, it contains many of the same germicidal agents that Barbicide does. If you look at the list of active ingredients in both, you'll be impressed;
Barbicide's active ingredient is Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, Scrubbing Bubbles active ingredient is Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and n-Alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride.
Barbicide lists itself as effective against HIV-1, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Staphylococcus (including MRSA), Pseudomonas, Salmonella, Clostridium Difficile (C.Diff), Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus (VRE), Herpes, Influenza (including H1N1), “Athletes Foot” (TineaPedis)
Scrubbing Bubbles lists itself as effective against Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1, Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2, Influenza A (H1N1) Virus, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Rotavirus, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Salmonella enterica (Salmonella), Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter aerogenes, Escherichia coli (0157:H7) (E. coli), Listeria monocytogenenes, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
So it certainly isn't an exact match, but for an overall cleaning it's pretty darned good.
Again, for most folks, cleaning the razor off is the most effective means of keeping yourself safe. It's metal, so things don't soak into the plating. If you are effective at breaking down the scale build up, and the soap scum which may hold contaminants on the surface, you should be pretty good to go.
I certainly didn't originate the idea of scrubbing bubbles, and don't own stock, but it's a pretty effective product that does more than just kill cooties, but cleans the equipment without damaging it.

Again, no offense intended, and every single person here should do exactly what they feel comfortable doing. If that means Barbicide or an Autoclave - that's fine. It's your call.

Even if you completely ignore the germ killing power of scrubbing bubbles, the physical removal of the contamination is what it does best. Some of the gunky caked up nasties I've seen, if I had to choose one or the other, I would take the bubbs. Better to remove the stuff than dunk it in some crap and hope what's under the surface is dead.

And in the case of the CDC speaking of sharing razors, you can be almost sure they were writing with the blade of the razor in mind and being either shared regularly or with a short lapse of time without a proper cleaning between (Think mainstream, who that information is supposed to help - CARTRIDGE USERS that no one takes time to properly clean because they're disposable). You know, like friends, family members, roommates that maybe share a tool like that. And here that information is being "spun" to apply to some razor from the 40's that has sat around for the last 30 years.

Keep it in context, please.

Last edited:
I am with the less is more crowd here. Get the razor clean with soapy of your choice, sanitize in alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or Barbicide, and let 'er rip. Definitely more risk from dirt and grime vs. real, nasty germs.

It sounds like hep b could survive for up to a week on a hard surface, so if no one used the razor for years, there is no risk at all. If someone has been using the razor, and it has sat unused for more than a week, it should pose no risk. Some people feel better to be 100% positive any potential virus is toast, and give it 10 min in barbicide. I sure wouldn't take a razor someone else used, slap my own blade in and shave. Hep virus isn't the same as bacteria on bathroom doorknobs.

Last edited:
Ok, if you want to keep it in context, safety razors hold the blade itself. Tattoo guns hold the needle. The law requires the guns be sanitized between customers. (I Beleive autoclave, but I could be wrong). A safety razor would be considered the same level of risk as a tattoo gun. It sounds like hep b could survive for up to a week on a hard surface, so if no one used the razor for years, there is no risk at all. If someone has been using the razor, and it has sat unused for more than a week, it should pose no risk. Some people feel better to be 100% positive any potential virus is toast, and give it 10 min in barbicide. I sure wouldn't take a razor someone else used, slap my own blade in and shave. Hep virus isn't the same as bacteria on bathroom doorknobs.

Trying to distort the picture a little more? You're comparing a tool that has the intent of rapid injections into the skin while holding some ink that mixes with the blood, becomes a slurry, is sticky and works its way all into the handle, and saying a safety razor should be held to the cleansing standards of that tool?

No one is advocating using a razor, not cleaning it, passing it to someone who only changes the blade and uses it. That's ridiculous. Stop being so desperate to be right. Barbicide is NOT necessary to make a razor completely safe. It's not, end of story. What are you guys, barbicide sales reps trying to jack up some sales by scaring new wet shavers?

The needle is not hollow. The tube that holds the ink and guides it (also the handle or part that is held onto). Blood gets mixed into the ink in the tube. They make disposable tubes.

The part the blood gets into is inside the tube. It's difficult to get to and the drying ink makes it all get stuck in. Government has standards for sterilizing anything designed for penetrating the skin, whether the sharps are disposable or not.

Why are you trying to compare apples to oranges? You don't even know anything about what you're comparing TO or the standards set in law.

We don't need to be unpleasant just because some have different opinions. If people want to boil razors and pressure cook them or whatever I am fine with that, their razors their call, I know I appreciate my razors too much to do so ... but that's just me ... :lol:

We can keep the discussion civil though ...

We don't need to be unpleasant just because some have different opinions. If people want to boil razors and pressure cook them or whatever I am fine with that, their razors their call, I know I appreciate my razors too much to do so ... but that's just me ... :lol:

We can keep the discussion civil though ...
+1

Trying to distort the picture a little more? You're comparing a tool that has the intent of rapid injections into the skin while holding some ink that mixes with the blood, becomes a slurry, is sticky and works its way all into the handle, and saying a safety razor should be held to the cleansing standards of that tool?

No one is advocating using a razor, not cleaning it, passing it to someone who only changes the blade and uses it. That's ridiculous. Stop being so desperate to be right. Barbicide is NOT necessary to make a razor completely safe. It's not, end of story. What are you guys, barbicide sales reps trying to jack up some sales by scaring new wet shavers?
No Barbicide salesman here. Not affiliated in any way. For me it is a convenient and comforting agent to use. I do use immuno suppressing drugs for my arthritis, but, I really don't think I have to use much other than soap and water to make it safe. We can beat this horse day and night, and there is no real point to be proved. Other than one might, maybe, possibly, on alternate Thursdays catch something from a razor, we don't need to argue.

^^^^this^^^^^

Everyone has their own opinion regarding this subject. I don't believe any side is wrong, and I'm confident we can discuss this subject in a gentlemanly manner.
Agreed. Everyone has their own way of doing it that suits their comfort level. Just don't rinse it in a toilet, and everyone can be happy and safe.

Last edited:
Well, apparently I'm not correct about tattoo guns. I removed my statements, as it wasn't my intention to distort facts. I don't see why we can't discuss the subject in a civil manner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom