What's new

Sanitization (Alum, Razor, and Blades)

Like many others here, I occasionally use an alum block to clean up the stray weeper (or ten). Does the block need to be stored in certain conditions or sanitized with anything between uses? On a related note, I sanitize my blades and razor head by soaking them in rubbing alcohol before and after each shave. I air-dry them vigorously by shaking and leave the dismantled head and blade to dry on a piece of tissue. Do I have to worry about the blade oxidizing? Can I leave the blade in alcohol between shaves or is this a bad idea? I really don't feel like springing for Barbasol, as I've finally - if temporarily - quelled all of my ADs.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I just rinse off the Alum block with warm water, dry it and then screw the top on. Rinsing it thoroughly will shorten the life of it but I can still get 6 months out of 60 grams.

For the blades, I wipe them with rubbing alcohol if they are 'gunky', if not then I just rinse them.

Last edited:
I don't do anything between shaves. I do rinse them off, but no sanitizing or alcohol or anything. I didn't with cartridge razors and don't with my DEs and straights.

Anything used that I buy is cleaned up good and sanitized before I use it.

Hey,

I am STILL having trouble find an Alum block locally....Detroit isn't into Alum, I suppose....

Later,

Matt!

Hey,

I am STILL having trouble find an Alum block locally....

Lots of online vendors have them. WCS has a nice one that comes in a plastic case, not the cheapest out there but mine looks like it is easily going to last me over a year. Plenty of other places should have them too.

Lots of online vendors have them. WCS has a nice one that comes in a plastic case, not the cheapest out there but mine looks like it is easily going to last me over a year. Plenty of other places should have them too.

+1 here. In my area there is nothing at all, other than some cheap DE blades, in the way of shave gear. I've done 100% of my buying online, no problems and great service. :thumbup1:

Alum and metal are pretty hostile places for bacteria and germs to live, especially if left to dry at room temperature. They might not be entirely clean, but if you're shaving once every 24 hours or so, not much is going to live on them.

I scrub my razor with an old toothbrush and soap at blade changes and boil the razors ever six months or so. I've never had a problem.

You can clean and sterilize as often as you like, but I'm not sure if you get any benefit from doing so.

Top Bottom