What's new

Sandlewood

What do you think of sandalwood scent?

• I like it

• It's just OK

• It smells bad

• Art is King of Sandalwood.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are a lot of sandalwood products available, the great majority of them smell just a tad different if not vastly different. My opinion, probably not worth a hill of beans, is that the smell of each one is as subjective to the individual as colognes and EDT's ....... DISCLAIMER: But maybe not :blink:

I currently have a lot of sandal'WOOD' from the sandalwood tree.

I think the actual wood from the tree smells "real". Maybe I should start putting a small zip lock sample of it in orders if Badger and Blade is noted in the 'Note To Merchant' area in Paypal.

Opinions??
Sue

I like sandalwood, but I don't feel confident as that being a blanket statement for sandalwood. Like Sue, I find different places have exceedingly different smells. Even AOS cream and soap smell different.

Some places take on an organic theme, while others take a sweet theme and everything in between.

Interesting point, Sue. I never thought about that.

Who is our resident sandalwood expert or experts? I would like to send the actual wood from the sandalwood tree to him (or them) for comparison to some of the "name" brands. I would be extremely interested what other, if any, fragrance notes can be detected or in their opinion has been added.

Blends abound, for instance in rose products. I would think the same is true with sandalwood. BUT - Most everyone has smelled a 'real' rose at some point in their life.

Will the real sandalwood please stand up!
Sue

i have pieces of sandalwood, and to my nose the indian mysore sandalwood bath soap is the closest to the smell of the pieces of sandal wood I have, also mam bears mysore sandalwood soap to my nose is the closest to this smell as well.

I would like to try the QED sandalwood shaving soap but I hear it is no longer available.

i have pieces of sandalwood, and to my nose the indian mysore sandalwood bath soap is the closest to the smell of the pieces of sandal wood I have,

+1 The guys at the Indo-Pak grocery store here in town have had to step up their orders of the Mysore sandalwood bath soap since I discovered it!

I have several different sandalwood EdTs, AS, and balms ... and I enjoy every one of them!

There are a lot of sandalwood products available, the great majority of them smell just a tad different if not vastly different. My opinion, probably not worth a hill of beans, is that the smell of each one is as subjective to the individual as colognes and EDT's ....... DISCLAIMER: But maybe not :blink:

I currently have a lot of sandal'WOOD' from the sandalwood tree.

I think the actual wood from the tree smells "real". Maybe I should start putting a small zip lock sample of it in orders if Badger and Blade is noted in the 'Note To Merchant' area in Paypal.

Opinions??
Sue

Right you are Sue......all that you get are a combination of various smells concocted with sandalwood

Sandalwood by itself has only one singular smell.....no matter where the wood is from..... India or Burma Or Thailand or where they grow....the same smell.....that's it..... period !!!!

Who has heard of the famous Mysore Sandalwood from India. They are the best in the world

Try smelling a good wood of sandal.

Try smelling the fresh paste of sandalwood ( the smell actually.....actually permeates all around that vicinity )

Art sandalwood is not even remotely close to the real smell.

So many members here have admitted to like or dislike one or the other brand of sandalwood product.

Real Sandalwood smells DEVINE.

Vijay

Last edited:
The "real" sandalwood is an argument that's as old as B&B itself, and would probably be best served by folks not making statements like "Not one product....not even one.....smell like the real sandalwood" unless the person making the statement has smelled every single sandalwood product out there. :wink:

Some are sweeter smelling (think oatmeal cookie -- the British brands tend to lean this way, but so do others), while others are woodier (AOS and QED are examples). Many are made with a synthetic fragrance oil (FO -- the Mama Bear soap that's been discussed here is advertised as made with FO) as opposed to the expensive, naturally-occurring, essential oil (EO). Within EO, then, there are indeed many varieties of plants that have come to be called "sandalwood," each with a slightly different variation on the theme. Speaking very generally, products made with sandalwood EO smell, to my nose, woodier and less, well, synthetic than FO products, but my nose isn't attached to your brain :smile: As such, at the end of the day, shave with what you like -- try 'em all!

And yeah, I like sandalwood. :biggrin:

I was going to say the same. I've got two tubs of QED Sandalwood, and I think that it's going to be a challenge to stretch those out over the next 40-50 years.

I like sandalwood quite a bit. QED Sandalwood is, to me, "the" sandalwood product to own. Unfortunately, you can't get it anymore.

I don't really like it much.

Like others have said, there's a wide variety of scents labelled "sandalwood." But the Mysore Sandalwood soap they sell at Indian grocery stores smells kinda bad to me. I think AoS sandalwood soap is so bad it's almost repulsive.

On the other hand, I have been using a sandalwood/vanilla hand soap for a couple of weeks that smells kind of good in a subtle way. The sandalwood aspect of it smells just like the Mysore stuff at the Indian grocery, but a faint hint of vanilla tempers it just enough to make it pleasant.

Sue's sandalwood/vanilla EDC, on the other hand, is a little too sweet for my tastes; maybe too much vanilla and not enough sandalwood?

In any case, to make it work for me obviously requires some effort. :lol:

The "real" sandalwood is an argument that's as old as B&B itself, and would probably be best served by folks not making statements like "Not one product....not even one.....smell like the real sandalwood" unless the person making the statement has smelled every single sandalwood product out there. :wink:

Some are sweeter smelling (think oatmeal cookie -- the British brands tend to lean this way, but so do others), while others are woodier (AOS and QED are examples). Many are made with a synthetic fragrance oil (FO -- the Mama Bear soap that's been discussed here is advertised as made with FO) as opposed to the expensive, naturally-occurring, essential oil (EO). Within EO, then, there are indeed many varieties of plants that have come to be called "sandalwood," each with a slightly different variation on the theme. Speaking very generally, products made with sandalwood EO smell, to my nose, woodier and less, well, synthetic than FO products, but my nose isn't attached to your brain :smile: As such, at the end of the day, shave with what you like -- try 'em all!

And yeah, I like sandalwood. :biggrin:

Sorry...my mistake !!!

Statment deleted from the post

Thanks for the advice Chad

Vijay

I don't really like it much.

Like others have said, there's a wide variety of scents labelled "sandalwood." But the Mysore Sandalwood soap they sell at Indian grocery stores smells kinda bad to me. I think AoS sandalwood soap is so bad it's almost repulsive.

On the other hand, I have been using a sandalwood/vanilla hand soap for a couple of weeks that smells kind of good in a subtle way. The sandalwood aspect of it smells just like the Mysore stuff at the Indian grocery, but a faint hint of vanilla tempers it just enough to make it pleasant.

Sue's sandalwood/vanilla EDC, on the other hand, is a little too sweet for my tastes; maybe too much vanilla and not enough sandalwood?

In any case, to make it work for me obviously requires some effort. :lol:

Mama Bear Sue? SCS Sue has never carried a sandalwood/vanilla.
Sue

What do you think of sandalwood scent?
Depends on what you're calling "sandalwood". As pointed out many times in this thread, a lot of shaving products labeled as sandalwood are nothing like sandalwood IMO.

I like the sandalwood soaps I've used, including Mysore. I like Marlborough which contains some strong notes of sandalwood and cedar. I'm not fond of the other sandalwood scents I've smelled such as TOBS. However, while it's nothing like real sandalwood I do like DR Harris's sandalwood aftershave.

At some point in the mid-60s while on liberty in Hong Kong I bought an Indian box crafted of sandalwood as a gift for my father. Hadn't thought about it until last year when I got a sample of Tam Dao edt. It hit the memory chords hard!!! Same thing!!! Having said that, I prefer TOBS sandalwood splash, edt and cream; and they are not the same sandalwood!

I am a fan of most woody scents, and sandal is no exception. I like it like I like my coffee: sweet, bitter, dark, happy, spicy, or smooth - each is a joy to consume in its own way. No such thing as a bad cup of coffee at the right time, just like there's a place and time for each of the sandalwood scents available.

The real reason I came in to comment, though, was that I think it's hysterical there are 5,901 votes for Art in this poll. I don't think I've seen a poll with so many votes but only 37 comments before. Wacky!

I do like the sandalwood varieties. Even if they are not pure in the sandalwood department. I currently have 3. TOBS, AOS and C&E sandalwoods. All 3 being creams. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of soaps too. As for my favorite, it is the C&E sandalwood. Fell in love with it when I first tried it. When they stopped making it, I stocked up. But now I've heard that they're bringing it back. Still good I hope.

Top Bottom