What's new

Sandalwood

I love Proraso Red AS, and would like to find a cologne or edt that has a strong sandalwood scent. Suggestions? Favorites?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was gifted a bottle of AoS pure sandalwood oil. I use that as a benchmark of what the stuff should smell like.

It may he heresy, but I find the smell of Proraso itself is dominant in the red.

I like and use the Pros, but they all smell like Pro.

AA

AOS Sandalwood!
TOBS Sandalwood!
Floris Santal!

art of shaving sandalwood omega dovo mammut june 9 2017.jpg
taylor of old bond street sandalwood simpson revisor march 31 2019.jpg

creed santal floris morley clover erskine 395 september 4 2014.jpg

That's the one! (top picture). Bit spendy, but great stuff.

AA :punk:
AOS used to have a Sandalwood cologne or edt or whatever, without the cypress, which was great. I am sure it is expensive on the used market. AOS is not true Indian sandalwood, if I recall, but they source from Australia or some other country. Not Mysore even when they were making the cologne, but still wonderful stuff.

There was also once a Floris Sandalwood, as opposed to Santal. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Very much a pure, creamy Mysore sandalwood. It was discontinued long ago. If any still exists, I am sure it would be dear.

[QUOTE="There was also once a Floris Sandalwood, as opposed to Santal. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Very much a pure, creamy Mysore sandalwood. It was discontinued long ago. If any still exists, I am sure it would be dear.
[/QUOTE]
You’re absolutely right. I still have a bit left and think I’ll use some tomorrow to put a smile on my face during these difficult times

I'm a Sandalwood fan. AOS Sandalwood was great in my opinion, but it was discontinued the last time I checked. The scent I like even better is the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood, also discontinued in 2014, but I still have a bottle of it left. It's not the same scent as the also discontinued C&E Indian Sandalwood even if they are similar.
  • I find T&H Sandalwood to be a nice scent, but too sweet and not exactly sandalwood.
  • I like TOBS Sandalwood as a scent to wear at work, but to me it's more clover than sandalwood.
  • I used PAA Sandalwood, but found the scent to be too week.
  • Trumpers Sandalwood is not bad, but it isn't exciting either. I'd call it a scent that won't offend anyone. The perfect scent for a middle aged man to wear at the office. At least that's how I use it.
  • I really like the earthy scent of Proraso Sandalwood, but it can't be found in any stronger scent than aftershave.
The above is only my subjective opinion.

There have been other Sandalwood scents too, but at the moment I can't recall them. So the search continues for a good clone of the 1976-2014 (or was it 1996-2014?) Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood EdT. Meanwhile I find comfort in Dior Homme Intense Perfume, it's and earthy scent, but it isn't sandalwood.

nedladdning.jpg

Last edited:
You’re absolutely right. I still have a bit left and think I’ll use some tomorrow to put a smile on my face during these difficult times

Sandalwood is spiritual. It lifts the spirits! Imagine what it was like back in the day when Indian sandalwood was cheap and available!

I recommend trying Diptyque Tam Dao EdP. This does not smell too similar to Proraso Red, but if you are after an authentic sandalwood fragrance, this is worth a shot.

I recommend trying Diptyque Tam Dao EdP. This does not smell too similar to Proraso Red, but if you are after an authentic sandalwood fragrance, this is worth a shot.
I forgot about this one. Yes, excellent and authentic by most folks' accounts. Although Luca Turin said something to the effect that it smelled like furniture polish. I would discount that review.

I enjoy his writing, and agree with him a lot, but this is definitely one where our tastes diverge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found Tam Dao EdP and Proraso Red compliment each other well. The latter is a bit musky and wears off after a few hours, but the former lingers a lot longer.

There are lots of different scents that are labeled as sandalwood. There are a number of species of tree that use the sandalwood name, but their scents differ. What is normally considered "true" sandalwood is East Indian Mysore essential oil extracted from Santalum Album trees, but it is quite expensive (around $50 for 10ml). Thus, reasonably priced shaving products are unlikely to contain Mysore oil and if they do, it will be only a small portion of the overall blend.

Although TOBS Sandalwood is popular, there is little if any sandalwood in the product. The Parfum (Fragrance) is derived from : Linalool, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Evernia Furfuracea Extract, Evernia Prunastri Extract, Limonene, Coumarin). Santalum Album is me is missing from the ingredient list.

There are lots of different scents that are labeled as sandalwood. There are a number of species of tree that use the sandalwood name, but their scents differ. What is normally considered "true" sandalwood is East Indian Mysore essential oil extracted from Santalum Album trees, but it is quite expensive (around $50 for 10ml). Thus, reasonably priced shaving products are unlikely to contain Mysore oil and if they do, it will be only a small portion of the overall blend.

Although TOBS Sandalwood is popular, there is little if any sandalwood in the product. The Parfum (Fragrance) is derived from : Linalool, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Evernia Furfuracea Extract, Evernia Prunastri Extract, Limonene, Coumarin). Santalum Album is missing from the ingredient list.

So, all in all what would be the overall pick of a sandalwood frag that smelled good, last a while on the skin and was still available ? Please comment.

Thanks Knize
:) Just my opinion, based on limited sampling. I notice this scent seems to get 4 out of 5 stars in various ratings, so others my not agree with me. I would say the Art of Shaving scent that is out now is not pure sandalwood but still sw-centric.

:) Just my opinion, based on limited sampling. I notice this scent seems to get 4 out of 5 stars in various ratings, so others my not agree with me. I would say the Art of Shaving scent that is out now is not pure sandalwood but still sw-centric.
Stupid question- but was original old spice a sandlewood scent? If I'm wrong don't laugh, haha. By the way I did order a sample of the Santal Noble.

Top Bottom