What's new

Sandalwood week

I'm sure others will chime in but I prefer the soap to the cream. Lather is nice and slick and leaves my face feeling great. I find the cream to be just ok. This morning was a C&E Sandlewood Soap, ASB and EDT day...

boboakalfb said:
I'm sure others will chime in but I prefer the soap to the cream. Lather is nice and slick and leaves my face feeling great. I find the cream to be just ok. This morning was a C&E Sandlewood Soap, ASB and EDT day...

Ditto for my Shave of the Day. I love the C&E Sandlewood Soap; it isn't the slickest, but it is a performer. It also provides a great base for layering the other C&E scents on top of.

Was ever a new shave cream panned as much upon its introduction to the masses? I don't think so. For those who have not tried this stuff, you are missing a treat. Not really a sandalwood scent per se, but more of a "cookies baking", spicy/sweet sort of scent. Lathers up and shaves as well as the Three-T's, and a worthy member of the sandalwood club.

Sandalwood week turned into sandalwood 8 days due to circumstances beyond my control. Today I thought I would do a bit of a combo. My original plan was to use T&H sandalwood, but I have reviewed that cream in the past. Instead, I started out building a nice lather with QED Mocha Java. This is a scent I thought I wouldn't like, but oh, was I wrong. Awesome, intense coffee/chocolate scent. After the first pass, I grabbed a snurdle of T&H sandalwood and added it to the mix. Oh, joy! This is a really nice combination. I love playing mad scientist in the morning.

Scotto,

Thanks for taking on this project !

So, the week has ended; could you summarize with a couple of rankings, to those of us that are unfamiliar with most of these creams ?

If you ranked by the scent that smells the most like Sandalwood (as some of these are a bit off that track), the nicest lather, the most comfortable shave, etc., how would these fall out?

I am really looking for a genuine Sandalwood scent, ended up starting with Taylors, which isn't, and am wondering where to turn to, as my wife says I smell like "old man" after using ToOBS.

Much appreciated !!

Robert

Hi Robert,

I tried to keep a tally as I went along, but work interfered as usual. I think I need to quit my job so I can post here full time....

Anyway, if you ask me which product over the past week really smells like pure sandalwood, the answer would be.... none. QED sandalwood soap is the only product I have used that is the real deal - just sandalwood EO. It is a great product, and worth seeking out.

That being said, if you suspend disbelief, then among creams I really like the scent and shave of the Salters cream, followed by Green Pond. Both have intense, interesting scents, and shave great. If you like it sweeter, then Salters. If you like smoky, then Green Pond.

if you want more info, feel free to ask.

Scotto said:
Was ever a new shave cream panned as much upon its introduction to the masses? I don't think so. For those who have not tried this stuff, you are missing a treat. Not really a sandalwood scent per se, but more of a "cookies baking", spicy/sweet sort of scent. Lathers up and shaves as well as the Three-T's, and a worthy member of the sandalwood club.

Scotto you are correct. I WELL remember the panning this cream got upon it's introduction a couple of years ago. It's truly a shame that way too many guys don't experiment more with this stuff. I easily obtained a sample of the lavender cream from a vendor. It's performance was super.

Regards Todd

Scotto said:
Instead, I started out building a nice lather with QED Mocha Java.

Scotto, you've discovered what I've come to feel is the best lather of all the QED sticks and for me, THAT is saying something. At least of the ones I've tried and I have about seven different scents. I get great results from all of them but if you get the MJ just so, it gives a skin conditioning shave that is easily amongst the best lathers I've ever tried. If you'd like, I can post my slightly unusual lathering method.

Regards, Todd

Go for it Todd.

The cocoa butter definitely makes love to your face. Awesome product and fabulous scent.

Forgive me for being blunt in putting forward this question but I have to ask. How many of us really know what a real sandalwood from Mysore, India smells like? My wife lighted a sandalwood incense today (to honour the Hindu Gods, and to try and drive away the evil spirits that have forced me to buy more and more expensive shaving gears lately:smile: ). A sweet soothing smell of great complexity flooded the house and jerked me awake from my dream. I realised that this divine smell was something totally different than the ones packed in the Salters sandalwood shaving cream or Crabtree and Evelyns sandalwood soap. These soaps and creams have a Cinammon like smell (both are a sort of wood but only one is divine!). My suggestion for any one who wants to know what a real sandalwood smells like, take a walk to a nearby Indian grocery shop and pick up their packet of sandalwood incense stick and just take a whiff (witout opening the packet). You will be surprised! By the way, I do use the Salters Cinammon (I mean a sort of Sandalwood) cream every day and it produces great lather. Did I say it is not really sandalwood! Just thought that I should share my revealation with you all, no offence meant.

Raj,

Thank you for your suggestion about the incense, I'll have to go take a sniff because the sandalwood incense I have jars me in a not-so-good-way.

There are times that I would like to have online scratch-and-sniff when it comes to the smell of shave products. =/ To me, I love the smell of QED sandalwood and that is what I use (correctly or incorrectly to others it matters not) as my own personal baseline for sandalwood scents. Shaving has really made me expland my knowledge of scents so I'm a willing scent newbie with a desire to explore if a chance to smell something new comes up.

However, I would like to nominate Raj for the custom B&B title: "Praetorian Guard of Sandalwood" for his repeated denfenses of the one true sandalwood scent. :)

- Seth

Hi Raj. To the best of my knowledge, the QEDman sandalwood soap is scented with pure mysore sandalwood oil. At least I think that's right. It has a woody, yet soft and ever so slighlty sweet scent that is mesmerising. All other "sandalwood" scented products that I've ever sniffed were a PALE imitation of this one. You owe it to yourself to try it.

Regards, Todd

Thank you Tinzien and Phog Allen,
I would definitely like to try QED sandalwood product but living so far away in Sweden, I am afraid the postal charges will exceed the cost of the soap. Perhaps I'll have to arrange to visit USA on the pretext of attending a conferrence (Shh! don't tell any one ) and stock up on the soap.

Raj said:
Forgive me for being blunt in putting forward this question but I have to ask. How many of us really know what a real sandalwood from Mysore, India smells like? My wife lighted a sandalwood incense today (to honour the Hindu Gods, and to try and drive away the evil spirits that have forced me to buy more and more expensive shaving gears lately:smile: ). A sweet soothing smell of great complexity flooded the house and jerked me awake from my dream. I realised that this divine smell was something totally different than the ones packed in the Salters sandalwood shaving cream or Crabtree and Evelyns sandalwood soap. These soaps and creams have a Cinammon like smell (both are a sort of wood but only one is divine!). My suggestion for any one who wants to know what a real sandalwood smells like, take a walk to a nearby Indian grocery shop and pick up their packet of sandalwood incense stick and just take a whiff (witout opening the packet). You will be surprised! By the way, I do use the Salters Cinammon (I mean a sort of Sandalwood) cream every day and it produces great lather. Did I say it is not really sandalwood! Just thought that I should share my revealation with you all, no offence meant.
Raj,

Read the thread again, and pay particular attention to post #26 where I said....
Anyway, if you ask me which product over the past week really smells like pure sandalwood, the answer would be.... none. QED sandalwood soap is the only product I have used that is the real deal - just sandalwood EO. It is a great product, and worth seeking out.

That being said, if you suspend disbelief, then among creams I really like the scent and shave of the Salters cream, followed by Green Pond. Both have intense, interesting scents, and shave great. If you like it sweeter, then Salters. If you like smoky, then Green Pond.

I was gonna PM you but I thought...maybe.....others might be interested.

NEWB Sandalwood starter kit ?
1. QEDman Sandalwood soap
2: ASB recommendation
3; EDT / EDC recommendation.

I am only looking for the most authentic combination of the 3.
I am utterly amazed by the intensity of QEDman's vetiver soap and plan on obtaining more scents from Charles.
Not sure if my post is clear, but....looking for layers and layers of Sandalwood.

Thanks for the great thread and really HARD work :wink:

Definitely the QED soap. If you want a cream, the AOS comes close to being a real sandalwood scent, but has other stuff in it as well. It is also a dry sandalwood scent with EO in it.

There aren't any ASBs with "true" sandalwood scents that I am aware of. The C&E sandalwood is a very nice scent, however, and is a quite effective balm.

Lots of choices in colognes. The Floris would probably be the best combo with the QED soap, since it also quite dry and woody. Next choice would probably be the C&E cologne as well.

DR Harris has a very lovely "sandalwooded" aftershave. Give my choice, I would probably go for the DR Harris or the C&E Aromatic Sandalwood aftershave balm.

I agree about the Harris Sandalwood A/S, Ron - an awesome product. It doesn't fit in with the request for "authentic" sandalwood scent, unfortunately, though it is great stuff.

Top Bottom