What's new

Sandalwood: The most meaningless word in wetshaving?

My favorite sandalwood scents are AOS and Proraso Red. I don’t like ToBS or Stirling sandalwood. Captain’s choice is a nice scent, but sandalwood seems to be one of many notes.

I searched this thread to decide whether anything will top the AOS Sandalwood scent and you answered my question. Thank you!

I am no expert, but I love this aftershave (bought it in early September). It appears to be the real deal in Sandalwood and the smell is awesome. Could not be happier with this product. I use it with, among other products, my Barrister and Mann Soft Heart Sandalwood. The soap is fantastic, but there's no comparing the smell of real sandalwood.

Yes, this is indeed a rare current example of real Mysore Sandalwood, with actual wood chips in every bottle to boost the unadulterated scent. There is also an EdT version as well. If one wants to explore what the real stuff smells like, this is the modern product to do so. Sadly, there is no accompanying shaving soap.

In a recent conversation with the creator, he said there is demand for the fragrance profile in a shaving soap, but the selling price, due to the amount of Mysore sandalwood needed to create it would likely be in the *hundreds* of dollars per soap tub which would be quite the barrier to entry for most (including myself). I think he is trying to create a custom option in time for those that can, and are willing to pay the relatively big bucks if they want a real Mysore soap bad enough in future. I guess we will see. For me the splash and EdT will have to be good enough.

TOBS sandalwood comes very close to the Mysore scent. Thus, TOBS is my reference. The discontinued Crabtree line smells similar. The Truefitt and Hill variety smells nothing like sandalwood. It smells very citrusy.

Cremo sandalwood has real sandalwood oil in the ingredients list, but the scent is nothing like the real thing, and is awful. Unscented remains my favorite in the Cremo line.

To each his own nose I guess. I find TofOBS tub cream to be the most faithful Sandalwood scent. To me Proraso Red soap smells mostly like cinnamon. I hated the Proraso cc Sandalwood after shave at first but it's really grown on me.

Top Bottom