What's new

Sandalwood recommendations

Pre-P&G AoS creams were made by Creightons.
Creightons still makes T&H, GFT, and St James.
Pre-P&G AoS cream base was essentially that still used by T&H/GFT.
(StJ formulation is quite different, although no slouch, imo.)

I enjoy both TOBS Sandalwood, and Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood.
I get great lather from both, and the shaving experiance is very good. The lathe rprovides slickness and good skin feeling.

The scents are different, the T&H to me is more of a "cologne" + sandalwood scent.

Pre-P&G AoS creams were made by Creightons.
Creightons still makes T&H, GFT, and St James.
Pre-P&G AoS cream base was essentially that still used by T&H/GFT.
(StJ formulation is quite different, although no slouch, imo.)

Thanks for the info! Too bad Creighton really destroyed the soap bases for the brands it took over (T&H/GFT) but their creams are still pretty decent.

Welcome.
Although Creightons has a long history of making creams, I'm not sure whether they've ever made hard soaps for T&H or GFT.

(Btb, the latest T&H hard soap reformulation - sans paraffinum liquidum, etcetera - is a significant improvement, ime.)

Welcome.
Although Creightons has a long history of making creams, I'm not sure whether they've ever made hard soaps for T&H or GFT.

(Btb, the latest T&H hard soap reformulation - sans paraffinum liquidum, etcetera - is a significant improvement, ime.)

Interesting, I'll have to take a look.

I'm not sure if they actually made the soaps or if it was a third party but every thing I've heard about the reformulation fiasco had to do with them acquiring the brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a sickening sweet smell to me and I find it offensive. In highschool I worked as a stock boy in a store that sold lots of Chinese imports including Sandalwood carvings. And the boxes and the stockroom always wreaked of Sandalwood and I hated it.
The olfactory connection to memories is so strong. One whiff can sometimes instantly transport us. Interesting, and for @Chango sandalwood forever equals stock boy job back in HS.

I'm not sure if they actually made the soaps or if it was a third party but every thing I've heard about the reformulation fiasco had to do with them acquiring the brands.
Just to clarify, Creightons never owned/acquired T&H or GFT.
Creightons used to own the St James brand, however.

Just to clarify, Creightons never owned/acquired T&H or GFT.
Creightons used to own the St James brand, however.
Curious, must have been a rumour then because I remember hearing several times that Creighton did acquire those brands. I guess the question is, who did buy them?

Neither brand (TH/GFT) has been sold/bought this century, afaik (notwithstanding any change of manufacturers).
However, the former North American T&H distributor did buy the St James brand from Creightons a few years ago.
(Creightons also sold The Real Shaving Co., to Swallowfield.)

It's interesting to me that the Sandalwood scent is so different among the different manufacturers. I really like TOBS but it's very rich and cologne like. My favorite is B&M Latha but it is going out of production. I also like Stirling Sandalwood, it's kind of powdery and a bit earthy and it really grew on me. Stirling also makes a Vanilla Sandalwood which is much sweeter than the straight Sandalwood. I did not like it as much. Lots of good suggestions here that I must investigate.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I bought my first Proraso Red a couple of weeks ago and seemed to have developed an addiction. I can’t seem to get back to my other stuff.

I bought my first Proraso Red a couple of weeks ago and seemed to have developed an addiction. I can’t seem to get back to my other stuff.

I often find myself doing several days of Proraso Red too once I pick it up again. It really performs well and smells amazing for such a low price soap.

Proraso Red. Maybe the best natural sandalwood I be ever smell. Dry, addictive, wet wood after the rain when dried. Earthy scent, a little overpowering but pleasant.

With Proraso Preshave Cream and ASL the bathroom will explode from the sandalwood scent.

Trust Randy's nose.

Proraso Red. Maybe the best natural sandalwood I be ever smell. Dry, addictive, wet wood after the rain when dried. Earthy scent, a little overpowering but pleasant.

With Proraso Preshave Cream and ASL the bathroom will explode from the sandalwood scent.

Trust Randy's nose.

I should grab the AS, I can get it locally for a great price at a little Italian Grocer.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The AS smells just like the soap. I put some on before I go to bed even. Actually wearing it now. I find it very soothing. Definitely get it.

The pre shave has the exact smell of the soap. I find the AS to be nothing like the soap. It is sweet and no sandalwood to my nose. But I like it.

I like to say that the Proraso Red AS starts where the soap leaves off. The soap, for me, starts without of a sandalwood scent, but as the shave progresses more of the underlying fresh, “barbershop”-like scent comes out. The AS is primarily that fresh scent with a hint of sandalwood.

I’m falling in love with the sandalwood sent. This is a fantastic thread that game me some great soaps to look into.

I’m falling in love with the sandalwood sent. This is a fantastic thread that game me some great soaps to look into.

I know what you mean, when I first started shaving I wasn't a fan of sandalwood but soon fell in love with it. Same with Lavender these are two of my favourite notes now.

Top Bottom