What's new

Sandalwood recommendations

In terms of performance:
AoS (tallow)
D. R. Harris (New Formulation)

In terms of scent:
AoS (tallow and non-tallow)

Indeed, lots of choices!
For citrusy scent, you might look for a sample of st James sandalwood and bergamot.
A nice summer choice could be Ogallala bay rum and sandalwood, although it is on sweet side!

You might just have to suffer through experimentation, enjoy!

33981D4E-4A43-43FE-B9D1-5DA5540EE906.jpeg

In the first pic are the Sandalwood scents in our home right now. L to R: AOS, Essential Oil, Barrister & Mann, Fine.

I'll explain my thoughts on each one. I don't expect everyone to agree with my feelings on scents. Everyone is definitely different. But hopefully you can use my experiences to determine what's right for you.

IMG_8933.JPG

I'll start with Sandalwood essential oil. I do not like true Sandalwood scent. It's a sickening sweet smell to me and I find it offensive. In highschool I worked as a stock boy in a store that sold lots of Chinese imports including Sandalwood carvings. And the boxes and the stockroom always wreaked of Sandalwood and I hated it. The only reason why the oil is in our home is that the wife got it to put in the diffuser before she knew how much I cannot handle the scent. I had to object. But the bottle remains.

My dislike for true Sandalwood scent led to me rejecting Proraso red. It smelled too much like the essential oil. With an earthiness added to it.

IMG_8935.JPG

I ran into this soap Commander soap when I bought it for my brother. But I really liked it. It made me realize that not all "Sandalwood" scents necessarily smell like true Sandalwood. I ended up keeping this and giving my bro something else. But I eventually included the used puck in a sale at a time when my shave den was bursting at the seams. But I regret getting rid of it.

IMG_8934.JPG

AOS and Fine Santal Absolut smell identical. I like the scents. They're a little on the cologne side of things. But they smell clean and fresh to me.

My favorite of all is the B&M Sandalwood Latha soap. Not just my favorite Sandalwood soap. One of my favorites soaps in general. It's a bright fresh soapy scent. There is no heavy or overly sweet Sandalwood smell. I really like the soap and it may end up being a regular item to the extent that I will be able to acquire more (discontinued?).

Good luck to you. Sometimes you just have to try the product.

I have tried a number of Sandalwood samples and have found may favorites to be Proraso Red and Stirling Sandalwood. Proraso has an excellent AS splash, which I highly recommend, probably my favorite splash.

Stirling has a very nice Sandalwood AS splash and also a balm, which are excellent.

TOBS Sandalwood is an excellent shave, probably a bit better than Proraso, but the scent is not quite as nice to me as Proraso and Stirling as I find it a bit perfumy. I prefer more down to earth scents.

I’ve decided to go with Sandalwood for my next purchase. Obviously there are ton of options, so I thought I’d ask the board for some recommendations. I’ve already tried fine Santal Absolute and found it to be slightly too sweet. However, I’m also not looking for just a straight dry Sandalwood. I’m not opposed to cologne-ish or citrus scents. The only requirement that I have is a soap with a matching aftershave splash, and if possible something that is appropriate for summer. Much thanks!
Don't think it's been mentioned. Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh. Criminally underrated soap and that scent......you're welcome!

Don't think it's been mentioned. Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh. Criminally underrated soap and that scent......you're welcome!

Excellent soap and I'm a big fan of sandalwood so this choice was obvious for me. I would highly recommend too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOS Sandalwood is my favourite and Fine's Santal Absolute is the same scent. Proraso Red is pretty similar but not quite as deep I find. TOBS Sandalwood is much more of a cologne with brighter notes and I prefer the darker sandalwoods, but TOBS is still very good.

People do say that AoS sandalwood and Fine's Santal absolute are the same scent but I find them distinctly different, perhaps it is because I'm compairing it to the original AOS sandalwood soap which by the way it's my favourite.

I do like the proraso too but it does fall a little short on slickness in comparison to other sandalwood soaps I have.

Other favourites are:
Catie's Bubbles Santal Sensuelle - earthy mild scent but very nice,
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement Sandalwood - also earthy dry medium strength+ scent and lovely soap,
OSP Sandalwood - very earthy and very slick, my soap of choice for SR shaving,
TOBS Sandalwood - fantastic cologny scent and medium++ strength scent.

Any of them for me but as an all round soap it has to be the AoS original.

People do say that AoS sandalwood and Fine's Santal absolute are the same scent but I find them distinctly different, perhaps it is because I'm compairing it to the original AOS sandalwood soap which by the way it's my favourite.

I do like the proraso too but it does fall a little short on slickness in comparison to other sandalwood soaps I have.

Other favourites are:
Catie's Bubbles Santal Sensuelle - earthy mild scent but very nice,
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement Sandalwood - also earthy dry medium strength+ scent and lovely soap,
OSP Sandalwood - very earthy and very slick, my soap of choice for SR shaving,
TOBS Sandalwood - fantastic cologny scent and medium++ strength scent.

Any of them for me but as an all round soap it has to be the AoS original.

I have both the Valobra and the new version of AOS sandalwoods and the old one smells different due to the soap base. The smell probably has faded as well, which is a shame because I love it.

I concur, the old AOS Sandalwood is my favourite soap as well.

I have both the Valobra and the new version of AOS sandalwoods and the old one smells different due to the soap base. The smell probably has faded as well, which is a shame because I love it.

I concur, the old AOS Sandalwood is my favourite soap as well.

Excelente!!!! So perhaps you can help clarify something in my mind, do you still think the Fine and Original SoA have the same scent? I find there's enough difference between them that I can tell them apart blindfolded.

My soap is a new puck, NOS, and has not lost its scent strength I'm happy to say cause it's a fantastic soap.

Excelente!!!! So perhaps you can help clarify something in my mind, do you still think the Fine and Original SoA have the same scent? I find there's enough difference between them that I can tell them apart blindfolded.

My soap is a new puck, NOS, and has not lost its scent strength I'm happy to say cause it's a fantastic soap.

I think the for the scents are almost identical if you compare Fine to the new AOS base, but the Valobra base is pretty strong and you can definitely tell the difference because the base comes through on the old version.

Also, per the LOI, tallow AoS is scented with sandalwood EO (possibly Mysore variety) only, whereas current AoS is scented with "fragrance" (probably includes sandalwood EO) and aroma chemicals.

Also, per the LOI, tallow AoS is scented with sandalwood EO (possibly Mysore variety) only, whereas current AoS is scented with "fragrance" (probably includes sandalwood EO) and aroma chemicals.

My understanding was the AOS claims to only use EOs but using FOs wouldn't surprise me. They both can achieve the same scent profiles but EOs are more expensive. I'm not sure if EOs are actually better for your skin or not.

Pre-P&G AoS SW and P&G AoS SW creams aren't exactly the same either, in terms of scent, ime.
(The former was more natural and similar to the real McCoy, ime.)

Pre-P&G AoS SW and P&G AoS SW creams aren't exactly the same either, in terms of scent, ime.
(The former was more natural and similar to the real McCoy, ime.)

I wish I could have tried the old creams, I hear they were made by a couple that worked for T&H and it was a really good cream. It's still one my favourite creams so the old version must have been really good.

Top Bottom