What's new

Sandalwood recommendations

I’ve decided to go with Sandalwood for my next purchase. Obviously there are ton of options, so I thought I’d ask the board for some recommendations. I’ve already tried fine Santal Absolute and found it to be slightly too sweet. However, I’m also not looking for just a straight dry Sandalwood. I’m not opposed to cologne-ish or citrus scents. The only requirement that I have is a soap with a matching aftershave splash, and if possible something that is appropriate for summer. Much thanks!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Proraso Red and Captain's Choice.

Proraso Red is a wonderful scent and a really great soap too.

Captain's Choice is darker, deeper and has an incredible scent.

Proraso Red and Captain's Choice.

Proraso Red is a wonderful scent and a really great soap too.

Captain's Choice is darker, deeper and has an incredible scent.

Do you know how Proraso Red scent compares to AOS Sandalwood?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Proraso Red splash is awesome. I’ve never used the soap, however.

I have Proraso Green, White and Red, all tubs. All are good soaps. The scent of the White is mild but nice. The Red however stands above. The scent is outstanding and for some reason, it has a nicer lather, smoother somehow.

It has nice cushion, but at the same time it doesnt hide the blade feel as much as the others seem too. I only have a few shaves with it so far, but as it stands right now, its my favorite soap.

I have Tabac, 12 different Stirling samples and one tub. Two tubs of Captain's Choice 45th Parallel and one Bay Rum all creams and samples of Scotts Lime and Sandalwood soaps. All are nice, very nice, but the Proraso Red is different somehow and its a very, very good soap for a very low price.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Do you know how Proraso Red scent compares to AOS Sandalwood?
The AOS cream is an intense Sandalwood. The Proraso is mild.
I have Proraso Green, White and Red, all tubs. All are good soaps. The scent of the White is mild but nice. The Red however stands above. The scent is outstanding and for some reason, it has a nicer lather, smoother somehow.

It has nice cushion, but at the same time it doesnt hide the blade feel as much as the others seem too. I only have a few shaves with it so far, but as it stands right now, its my favorite soap.

I have Tabac, 12 different Stirling samples and one tub. Two tubs of Captain's Choice 45th Parallel and one Bay Rum all creams and samples of Scotts Lime and Sandalwood soaps. All are nice, very nice, but the Proraso Red is different somehow and its very, very good soap for a very low price.
Like I need another soap! Enabler!:001_tt2:

I have only tried Proraso Red and Stirling. I keep the Proraso in my rotation, has a nice rich smell and the AS is great. I thought the Stirling was too sweet.

I’ve only tried TOBS sandalwood, Proraso Red, Stirling sandalwood & Fine absolut santal.

I liked them all but Stirling. For some reason Stirling irritated my face badly. (And I really like other Stirling soaps).

My opinion - I’m no expert of anything and YMMDV (drastically).

1. Fine absolute santal - is said to be a copy of AOS sandalwood. It’s very nice to me but agree it’s a bit sweet woodsy.

2. TOBS - love the scent. More cologne with a splash of bath soap and barbershop. A bit musky to me too. It’s also on sweet side.

3. Proraso Red - my favorite of the bunch. Mild, I get a lot more woodsy than the others. It’s very different than the other two to my nose. Reminds me of an old, dusty basement or cellar but on a good way. No cologne vibe.

4. Stirling sandalwood- as I said, it irritated my skin badly. The smell reminded me of Christmas cookies. Not that woodsy, much sweeter than Fine. My least favorite on scent by a long ways.

Performance on all the soaps was great.

Last edited:
DR Harris makes a nice, subtle sandalwood soap, with a strong aftershave splash. I'm not sure that I would call it a summer scent, however. The splash is strong enough to be a cologne, and it's a heavy scent in warm weather.

The only Sandalwood I have used/tried is Beehive Sandalwood so have no basis of comparison with others. No matching after shave products. She sticks with soaps of various types as well as her shaving soap line.

Just picked up Proraso Red yesterday and did a test lather in my palm. I really liked the scent during the lather and how my hand smelled afterwards. I've always considered AoS Sandalwood the quintessential Sandalwood scent for me, and not really sure which one I prefer between the two. Both are woodsy and spicy, but AoS had the more in your face scent, IMO. I have Captains Choice Sandalwood aftershave, but not the soap. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with the offerings from these three.

As a side note, I use all my soaps year round.

AOS Sandalwood: My favorite, hands down. Slightly sweet, hint of complexity, closest IMO to actual sandalwood. Cream works like a charm for rich, slick lathers. Good fall/winter.

TOBS Sandalwood: More barbershop. High in the fresh scent level, only hints at sandalwood. Slightly floral/powdery. A very easy to lather, ultra slick cream. A good spring and summer scent. Perhaps my 3rd favorite.

Proraso Red: Very deceptive as being dark, masculine, and single note sandalwood. Once lathered, the fresh, brighter scent you smell from the AS splash comes out in the background. Not quite a slick, but still a great soap for the price. Probably my 2nd one favorite. Good any time.

DR Harris Sandalwood: A more cologne-like take on sandalwood, complex, not necessarily a dark scent. Lathers very well, though a bit tricky to find the right ratios, load heavy. Though it’s not my favorite scent of the soaps I own, it is still a great soap for shaves.

West Coast Shaving sells a Sandalwood sample pack. I’ve been debating buying one myself.

My only recommendation is to try out the Lather & Wood Sandalwood products. I love their pre-shave oil and aftershave balm. Haven’t tried their soap yet but it’s in my collection to be tried soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOS Sandalwood is my favourite and Fine's Santal Absolute is the same scent. Proraso Red is pretty similar but not quite as deep I find. TOBS Sandalwood is much more of a cologne with brighter notes and I prefer the darker sandalwoods, but TOBS is still very good.

Top Bottom