What's new

Sandalwood Better Than Proraso Red?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I don't normally like sandalwood. But I was blown away by Proraso red aftershave that I tried in the recent passaround box. Great scent, great skin conditioning!

As someone who does not like most sandalwoods, but likes this one, is this the one to get? Or is there one even better?

I have not tried Proraso's sandalwood, so I can't make a fair comparison. But my favorite is Stirling's Sandalwood. All their aftershaves perform well on the face. Their scent is Hawaiian sandalwood, which is very different smelling from a standard sandalwood. It still has that typical sandalwood smell, but then there is a very exotic smell mixed in there. Be warned that it does have a pretty strong warm burn to it.

If you haven't tried any of Stirling's AFs, it's worth trying a sample pack. They sell sample 4 bottles of your choice for $10.

I have not tried Proraso's sandalwood, so I can't make a fair comparison. But my favorite is Stirling's Sandalwood. All their aftershaves perform well on the face. Their scent is Hawaiian sandalwood, which is very different smelling from a standard sandalwood. It still has that typical sandalwood smell, but then there is a very exotic smell mixed in there. Be warned that it does have a pretty strong warm burn to it.

If you haven't tried any of Stirling's AFs, it's worth trying a sample pack. They sell sample 4 bottles of your choice for $10.

+1 on stirling sandlewood soap.

I prefer the scent of the AOS sandalwood but only by a small amount. To my knowledge AOS only makes an ASB so that might be a deal breaker for some. It is a very good product though that doesn't leave my face greasy but moisturized and just right.

A google search brought up DR Harris and Saint Charles Shave for sandalwood splashes. Some of the artisan soap makers who also make splashes can add the scent to their unscented splash.

I've never tried Proraso's sandalwood to have a frame of reference. However, I really like Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS. It's a nice, woody sandalwood that isn't overpowering, but let's you know it's there. It's quite soothing after a rough shave, as well. I've just packed away all my shaving gear, for a move happening at the end of the month. I only left out 1 razor (Merkur Slant), 1 soap (Haslinger Sandalwood), 1 brush (RV, special) and 1 AS (Captain's Choice AS).

Lets start out with the following: Sandalwood essential oil (that is steamed from the bark) is around $100/oz in bulk. I think this is why you see so many "fragrance oil" based ones that don't smell anything like true Sandalwood. Case in point, TOBS sandalwood is very sweet and "flowery". Captain's Choice is pretty close to the real thing and Proraso isn't too far away. I haven't tried the Haslinger soap, but it comes highly recommended.

now discontinued, Art of Shaving sandalwood aftershave gel is amazing! grab one if you can find.

proxy.php

I don't normally like sandalwood. But I was blown away by Proraso red aftershave that I tried in the recent passaround box. Great scent, great skin conditioning!

As someone who does not like most sandalwoods, but likes this one, is this the one to get? Or is there one even better?

The wife is not a fan of Sandlewood - I just shaved with AOS sandlewood cream I was given (not a big fan) however I used Stirling's Sandalwood AS - the 2x I have used it (from a PIF) the wife has commented favorably both times :thumbup1:. I also enjoy the Captains Choice but Stirling is the clear favorite here :001_smile

Lets start out with the following: Sandalwood essential oil (that is steamed from the bark) is around $100/oz in bulk. I think this is why you see so many "fragrance oil" based ones that don't smell anything like true Sandalwood. Case in point, TOBS sandalwood is very sweet and "flowery". Captain's Choice is pretty close to the real thing and Proraso isn't too far away. I haven't tried the Haslinger soap, but it comes highly recommended.

What I look for in an aftershave above all else is longevity. I can get the skin food from witch hazel and balms in the post shave routine. Projection would be great, too but few aftershaves have the Aqua Velva musk knockout ability. Royal Copenhagen's and Paul Sebastian's aftershave are in that class.

I've read that Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne is a fantastic powerhouse but it only comes in a 50 ml atomizer bottle.

now discontinued, Art of Shaving sandalwood aftershave gel is amazing! grab one if you can find.

Many others here on B&B compare the AOS sandalwood to Fine's Santal Absolut. While I like Santal Absolut, it doesn't have the Proraso/Edwin Jagger type of sandalwood soap scent that I love.

I really like both PAA and Stirling. how are the scent longevities on those?

I'd like to know that as well as the longevity of the Proraso Sandalwood aftershave. It has to be longer than the fleeting scent of the Proraso Green aftershave, which I really enjoy.

For sandalwood, the only two I have are Stirling and Captain's Choice. The Stirling Sandalwood is one of my top three scents out of the roughly 35-40 that I have. I'd say it lasts a good 2 hours, maybe pushing 3. The Captain's Choice on the other hand lasts maybe 30 seconds(and that's not an exaggeration) pretty much once it's dry, it's gone.

Top Bottom