What's new

Sandalwood AS - Captain's Choice vs. Taylor of Old Bond?

I love the smell of sandalwood, and am committed to ToBS sandalwood shaving cream. I want to finish with and continue that scent. I've got a small sample of Captain's Choice AS sandalwood that I like a lot, but have not tried ToBS (it's a lot of money to try). I've read some reviews that say ToBS sandalwood AS does not smell the same as their shaving soap, in fact it smells bad, so I'm a bit leery. But, if ToBS aftershave scent is about the same as their cream I'd take a chance. Otherwise, I stay with Captain's Choice.

So, for those of you who might have tried both, do you have a preference? And if yes, why?

IMHO, use a cool washcloth in place of aftershave splash and use TOBS sandalwood gel and/or the nice cologne!!

taylor of old bond street sandalwood simpson revisor march 31 2019.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have and like the captain version based on reviews i dont tnink id like taylor. Along with captain i like wsp version. I have Taylor sandalwood cream but i never got the as.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
How does Proraso Sandalwood stack up in the grand scheme of sandalwood soaps and splashes?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How does Proraso Sandalwood stack up in the grand scheme of sandalwood soaps and splashes?
its excellent. Another must have
And in my top 5 or so along with Stirling wsp captain
Maybe a few others im forgetting at the moment.

Captain’s is nice, but fleeting I find. If $ isn’t an issue, Floris Santal is not pure sandalwood, but is marvellous and lasts longer

Proraso and TOBS are totally different. If you like the Sandalwood scent to the TOBS cream, obviously the TOBS is closer. I have both the TOBS aftershave splash and cologne, but use very sparingly as it is strongly scented and long lasting.
One of my favorite Sandalwood soap and aftershave combos is the Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and aftershave balm. Fine Santal Absolut splash is very close to Art of Shavings Sandalwood to my nose, and I usually use them together.
The Proraso soap/cream and sandalwood aftershave splash are very similar, but a totally different take on sandalwood to my nose, but the Proraso is a must have for me.

Proraso and TOBS are totally different. If you like the Sandalwood scent to the TOBS cream, obviously the TOBS is closer. I have both the TOBS aftershave splash and cologne, but use very sparingly as it is strongly scented and long lasting.
One of my favorite Sandalwood soap and aftershave combos is the Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream and aftershave balm. Fine Santal Absolut splash is very close to Art of Shavings Sandalwood to my nose, and I usually use them together.
The Proraso soap/cream and sandalwood aftershave splash are very similar, but a totally different take on sandalwood to my nose, but the Proraso is a must have for me.

+1! Mr. Fines Santal Absolut is great, especially when paired with the soap! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks, guys. I really like the fragrance of Proraso's sandalwood splash, but it feels greasy to me. I think it's the shea butter. I have some stuff ordered, I think Captain's Choice is one. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It looks like there are two distinct versions of "sandalwood" discussed here: TOBS and Proraso. Where do Art of the Shave and Fine Accoutrements fall? I like splashes from Fine, too, but not all of their scents.

I really like Fine’s Santal Absolut. Probably my favorite pure sandalwood scent. I also like WSP’s Sandalwood, but for me, Fine is the winner. I don’t mind the lack of face moisturizers.

I got my Captain's Choice sandalwood. It wasn't what I was expecting, a little "saw dust-y" smelling. However, that fades fairly quickly and the lasting scent is pretty good. It doesn't make my skin feel greasy, either. Not bad. Now if I could find Proraso's fragrance without the moisturizers... My next order will include Fine Santal.

Top Bottom