What's new

Sandals With Slacks - Yes?? No???

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No socks!

No crocks!

Slacks & sandals ... I'd only consider this if it's a locally-accepted form of dress ... just like cowboy boots and a suit look better in Dallas than in London or Paris.

When in Rome (or Cuba) do as the Romans do...

Well, we know who will be wearing a toga to the Cuban beach resort ... :001_rolle

No socks!

No crocks!

Slacks & sandals ... I'd only consider this if it's a locally-accepted form of dress ... just like cowboy boots and a suit look better in Dallas than in London or Paris.

Well, we know who will be wearing a toga to the Cuban beach resort ... :001_rolle

More custom title gold. <sigh>

I think you could pull off some linen pants with either sandals or espadrilles. It is all in the presentation though. You could either look very sharp or like a haphazard trainwreck.

For what it's worth, on my previous 5 trips to Cuba (and on a Caribbean cruise) I've seen sandals (sans socks) worn with pants numerous times, and I always wore dress shoes and socks with pants.

Wifey always told me "Wear your sandals" but wouldn't, because I didn't like the look.

However, as so many above have stated some form of the cliche "When in Rome...............", I guess I'll change my ways and now my luggage will be a couple of pounds lighter.

Thanks everyone for your input.

My personal rule is: if it's warm enough for sandals, wear shorts, if it's cool enough for long pants, wear shoes. Sandals with long pants annoy me. Sandals with socks, arrgh!

Thou shall never wear sandals with slacks.
Thou shall never wear sandals with socks.

These are the first two rules set in stone by Moses himself.

If you need to be casual wearing chinos but don't want a formal shoe try a deck shoe. Anything less formal that that will result in the need for compulsory euthanasia.

I also like to add my own third rule:

Thou shall never wear sandals.

I live by these three rules and I have turned out alright so heed my advice and enjoy an improved quality of life and see your sex life improve as a result. :thumbup:

Evenings at the resorts in Cuba we frequent, men usually wear slacks and a dress or casual shirt of some sort.
At a tropical resort, if it is the custom? Yes.

Elsewhere? No.

Appropriate clothing is always contextual. Your slack/sandal combo is fine in Cuba, not so fine in Brooklyn.

Sandals and slacks? Please, please no. That has to be a fashion hanging offense.

Whoever said socks with sandals, you need a fashion transplant.

proxy.php

I'm surprised no ones has made a "Are from a 3rd World country" joke yet! In tropical countries wearing sandals to slacks, as weird as it may seem to Westerners, is perfectly acceptable and practical. Your feet get pickled if you wear closed shoes for too long.

In the West if you do wear sandals to slacks, it probably screams "immigrant". However, some people will make the case now that quality of life in the USA is degenerating to that of a developing country standard, wearing flip-flops to slacks is perfectly acceptable.

Good gawd no! I think it looks hideous. I can't stand clogs or those rediculous fuzzy boots women wear either. I wear Sunuk sandals though.

No socks, no socks.... : the sandals are only for the beach, the pool....but for wear ? .... I am impressed in the tropical resorts with the people who wear flipflops at night for dinner,.... the flipflops and sandals don't go with casual wear....IMHO

Last edited:
I would not wear sandals and slacks, even if all of the cool kids were doing it. Sandals and long pants do not go together, even with a cowboy hat.

I wear sandals / flip-flops with jeans all the time, but I'm also still in college. Albeit I am a graduate student.

However, I probably wouldn't try to wear them with any long pant that you'd consider dressier than a jeans.

Whilst in a cruise a couple of years ago, a guy wore a suit with a Football T-shirt and sandals for the "formal night"...the same T-shirt he wore earlier that day at the swimming pool, or to be more precise, inside the swimming pool....

Top Bottom