What's new

SANAX sadness

3C092F72-E543-4DF3-ADC3-0914B1BB4CF2.jpeg

Not the best removal. Superglue and epoxy filler? Or admit defeat?

Noooooo. You can sand an inconspicuous spot a little and mix the sanding dust in with the glue to camouflage the glue joints. Or you can go the opposite direction and do a Kintsugi style repair. I think the Kintsugi would look really cool.

What happened during the knot removal?
Maybe glue, sand and paint the entire upper part black? Then you could select a white/black or black/white knot.

Knot removal required wetting the knot and brushing it lightly. In short, it fell right out while I was first examining the strange light/dark knot:
6E589921-22BE-4836-8FAE-EA1DEDCEA291.jpeg

782484A2-3DC0-4AD9-A49C-029A40BB1E2E.jpeg

It might be banded boar surrounding dark soft horsehair. Even stranger than the hair, there was sticky, semi-hardened black adhesive somewhat randomly distributed in the knot cavity. Sticky black gunk with a plasticky, rather than tarry, consistency.

Additionally, the bottom of the cavity is filled with a white substance that appears to be a chalky plaster of some sort. It is softer and more friable than plaster of paris. Altogether an odd set of construction details. Maybe not a top end brush? But somebody got some use out of it.

I was scraping away that unpleasant compound when the thin wall broke out. The wall may have already been cracked or weakened. I should have given it a closer inspection and formed a better idea of the strength of the material before diving in with a metal scraper.

Or you can go the opposite direction and do a Kintsugi style repair. I think the Kintsugi would look really cool.

Now that I know what Kintsugi is, I'm intrigued.

I'd try and fix it.What have you got to lose?

I was stupid and tried to force an EverReady 75k and cracked it

Went through the process of trying to seal the crack but didn't like the way it turned out. Oh well, I bought it in a lot and I'm only out $2

Moving that HMW knot to another ER I was going to sell and now I'll keep it

Yeah these plastic shells full of plaster are not worth fixing. Were I to try, I'd fill it with putty shaped like the broken plaster piece and rebuild the shell onto the putty... but imho not worth it.

I think the handle had some plaster filling for weight. The knot was originally set in rubber, the gunky stuff is probably the rubber breaking down and crumbling. If there are only the two pieces to glue back, it might work. You could fill with Bondo, sand and paint it. I'm afraid the handle is weak, though, and may crack again.

share some pictures

Here is one close view. The dark gunk that I gave up on removing after the break had hardened a bit before I got around to grabbing the superglue. Still, that gunk dissolved a little into the superglue to give its own spin on kintsugi. Not so pretty. I'm considering touching up the black bands and perhaps adding faux kintsugi with paint over the repair seams. No rush...
7FF40D52-54B9-4B29-8E10-3ACF167084EE.jpeg

Some forstner work: I removed a little of the plaster fill to get a shorter loft, then filled the interior circumference with epoxy putty before 'forstnering' up a nice cylindrical cavity. I set a 16mm boar knot from The Golden Nib with silicon glue.

Not a great restoration, but a good cautionary/learning experience.

Top Bottom