What's new

Samuel Gawith done in the US?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I can't speak to the truth of this, but read elsewhere that Samuel Gawith won't be abiding by the new FDA regulations and will therefore no longer be shipping to the US. Does anyone have any better info?

It was already pretty difficult to get unless buying from Europe...but now even more so it would appear.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kbven has a couple blends still available. This kinda news, true or not, will make G&H unobtanium :(. Still waiting for a box of Rum Flake to materialize somewhere.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Kbven has a couple blends still available. This kinda news, true or not, will make G&H unobtanium :(. Still waiting for a box of Rum Flake to materialize somewhere.

Just a heads up, over here Rum Flake is now called Jamaican Flake. Thought I'd let you know in case there's stock available over there under the new name.

Yes. The topping is the same, and the flake tobacco is presented as broken flake in Peterson's round tin with slightly more Burley and less Virginia than the original, but the difference is very small. For all intents and purposes, this is your readily available Rum Flake, blended by the same tobacco house.

Yes. The topping is the same, and the flake tobacco is presented as broken flake in Peterson's round tin with slightly more Burley and less Virginia than the original, but the difference is very small. For all intents and purposes, this is your readily available Rum Flake, blended by the same tobacco house.
I love Hyde Park but it's blended by STG I think?

According to GQ Tobaccos (they often include country of origin in their product description), it's blended in the UK
I don't know where it's blended in geographical terms but Peterson's is an STG brand and G&H is an independent company so I don't understand how G&H could be blending Hyde Park.

EDIT: According to my tins, it's manufactured in Denmark.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't know where it's blended in geographical terms but Peterson's is an STG brand and G&H is an independent company so I don't understand how G&H could be blending Hyde Park.

EDIT: According to my tins, it's manufactured in Denmark.

I assumed they were commissioning it, but if the tin says Denmark, I'm not going to argue :biggrin1:

I assumed they were commissioning it, but if the tin says Denmark, I'm not going to argue :biggrin1:
There are a number of reviews on a well-known site that state it must be blended by G&H because it tastes like it is and it comes in a plastic bag. I haven't found any actual evidence that it ever was blended by G&H, although anything's possible the way blends have been acquired over the years. All I can add is my Presbyterian came in a plastic bag so that's not conclusive.

Let's just say someone in the industry told me this was developed for Peterson by Gawith Hoggarth. Perhaps the actual "formula" was and they can manufacture it almost anywhere afterwards. I used to work as a web designer (almost 20 years ago) for one of the largest pipe & cigar brick and mortar shops in the US, so I can usually rely on several people to give me information about these blends when I ask them.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I can't speak to the truth of this, but read elsewhere that Samuel Gawith won't be abiding by the new FDA regulations and will therefore no longer be shipping to the US. Does anyone have any better info?

It was already pretty difficult to get unless buying from Europe...but now even more so it would appear.
Will this affect snuff?

Top Bottom