What's new

Samuel Adams Glass

Has anyone tried the special beer glass Sam Adams put out a while ago?

proxy.php

I just bought 2 off of ebay. They are pretty cool. I poured a Belhaven Scottish Ale. Gives a nice head and great aroma. I'm not too sure about the whole turbulence thing. The lip however makes you tilt the glass so your nose goes into the glass. I'm getting a nice sniff of the beer while taking a sip.

Overall, its a solid beer glass. All of the claims in the picture seem a little like marketing hype. All of that aside, it was a good $12 spent (for 2 off of ebay)

Has anyone tried the special beer glass Sam Adams put out a while ago?

proxy.php

I just bought 2 off of ebay. They are pretty cool. I poured a Belhaven Scottish Ale. Gives a nice head and great aroma. I'm not too sure about the whole turbulence thing. The lip however makes you tilt the glass so your nose goes into the glass. I'm getting a nice sniff of the beer while taking a sip.

Overall, its a solid beer glass. All of the claims in the picture seem a little like marketing hype. All of that aside, it was a good $12 spent (for 2 off of ebay)

Looks interesting and I would try one if someone gave it to me...

The Brewhouse is actually tea centric...opposed to beer centric :biggrin:

I am a beer drinker as well and was very excited to see the addition of "The Brewhouse" but much to my chagrin it is a tea house :blush:

I am a beer drinker as well and was very excited to see the addition of "The Brewhouse" but much to my chagrin it is a tea house :blush:

Oh...hmm. I guess this needs to be moved then. I came back right when this new forum was put in place. I naturally assumed it was for discussion of all brewed plant based beverages. In that mind, that means coffe, tea, beer and wine. An argument could even be made for chocolate. Now that I look at the explanation it says coffee and tea...my bad.

I've tried them but not in any kind of scenario to competently indicate whether the glass was enhancing the flavor of the beer (say no more). I thought the glass would be a bit thicker than it was so I was a bit disappointed there. But I do buy the bit about the shape being optimized to best reveal a specific beer's bouquet (just like all those Belgian glasses out there for all those different breweries offerings. Also the physics behind the laser etching (provides nucleation sites for bubbles or something like that) seems believable.

One of the bars on campus here in Champaign has "logo mug night" every thursday where you pay $3 for a beer in a souvenir glass that you get to keep, and then refills are only $2. For the last month or so they've been giving out these glasses on logo night, so we have about 6 of them in my apartment. I like them.

I was supposed to get a free set of 4 when they were released, because I am a founding member of the beer advocate magazine.... but they never showed up. I have tried them though, and I did like the glass. Well worth the money, and it does actually make a difference. While it was supposedly designed for SA Boston lager, I find that it works best with hoppier beers. Anything in the IPA or DIPA category really shine in that glass, thanks to the laser etching on the bottom. For anyone that doubts how effective they are, just pour in a beer and watch it after 20 minutes. There is a constant tiny stream of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass, a la champagne, which help to release a lot of aroma into the glass. That aroma is the concentrated in the tulip like rim. If you're just casually drinking you may not notice the difference, but if you're really paying attention and discussing with others, I'd be willing to bet that you can appreciate a difference.

BTW, for any beer drinkers that don't know about it, BeerAdvocate is a great resource. The forums there tend to be patrolled by beer snob extremists, even though they discourage behavior. What I'm trying to say is that it is a great resource and place for information, but don't expect the same civility and general gentlemanly behavior that we enjoy here at B&B.:thumbup:

Top Bottom