What's new

Samsung Tablet Reset/Need Mobile Browswer Recommendations

Gents, this has been a long time coming but tonight I got so frustrated with my old warhorse Samsung Tab 4 7.0 tablet I decided to give an enema. The complete reset job. Of course I first made sure I had moved photos, videos, e-books, etc. But I didn't give a howl in hell about the apps or their data. This is a consumption device for me. And for the most part, I use it for online forum reading, email, and reading books. Time for the doctor to perform the procedure.

It went alright and tried to untick as many of Google's ridiculous 'help' check boxes as I could on the reboot. In typical fashion they ignored most of it and enabled location and auto updating anyway. So I sit here now waiting for the updates to finish.

A couple of questions regarding storage, Google apps, and mobile browsers. I will start in reverse order since the latter is one of the things that has driven nearly over the edge the last few weeks.

Browser. I had been happily using Dolphin for a few years now but after an updated version was released it has been nothing short of flaky. Losing saved passwords, loads of crashes, etc. Time to try something else. As of now only Chrome is installed and is that as good as it gets? Google is just so darned intrusive with browsing history and constant advertisements and all that I wondered if there is something else I should look at? If not, are there some tweaks to Chrome I should look at?

Google apps. I don't use 99% of them and is there any way to actually delete some of this stuff? I also realise some of this is customising by Samsung and may have dependencies baked into the cake that are not removable.

Micro SD card. I have a nice 32Gb Samsung card. I had set most things to auto save there but want to get it right from the start. Other than going app by app is there a better way to tell apps and multimedia files to store or install to the memory card?

Thanks loads chaps. I know there are plenty of tech savvy guys around here.

There are secure browsers out there, that proxy your connection, but you still end up having to trust the vendor. I use Chrome most of the time these days. I used to use Dolphin, but lost interest after some updates to the app a couple years ago.

To get rid of apps, you usually have to root the device. I did this on a couple tablets. It's not hard, but you can really mess things up if you get it wrong.

Good luck with the unit and please let us know how it goes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I stopped using all Google products actually. Been using the Brave browser for mobile. I like it on mobile better than desktop. DuckDuckGo is working well as a search engine for me as well. Those don't track anything and they block ads.

Opera has a built in VPN (for sure on desktop but not sure on mobile), but yeah you'd need to trust them I suppose.

Right now I am using both CM and UC browsers. Both work well so far. UC is much lighter to my notions but that is just from screen real estate ferl. I don't know about under the hood.

I tried a clean install of Dolphin
No dice. Still loses logins whenever it wants and crashes too much. And still badgers you to us Fillr. A third party login manager. I think it is the issue with lost logins. I saw Brave as well but wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback. I will tst run it soon.

Right now I am using both CM and UC browsers. Both work well so far. UC is much lighter to my notions but that is just from screen real estate ferl. I don't know about under the hood.

I tried a clean install of Dolphin
No dice. Still loses logins whenever it wants and crashes too much. And still badgers you to us Fillr. A third party login manager. I think it is the issue with lost logins. I saw Brave as well but wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback. I will tst run it soon.
I suggest doing some research regarding the UC browser. There were some privacy / security issues with this browser in 2015. This was supposed to be fixed in 2016, but recommend doing a little research to verify that it is good to use.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom