What's new

Samples Passaround Chat - Amouage

Amouage Epic Man
I cant believe I have not posted this yet.
Its smokey and full of incense. The performance IMO is huge! The list of notes is also quote long!
Top Notes
Pink Pepper, Berry Essence, Frankincense, Cumin, Cardamom, Saffron, Mace, Nutmeg, Myrtle
Heart Notes
Geranium, Myrrh
Base notes
Oud, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Leather, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Musk, Castoreum

Wow. That is quite an inventory of notes. Do the smoke/incense really dominate? Or can you detect some sandalwood and cedar?

As requested - Amouage Interlude Man

From another site
woody fragrance that opens with zesty bergamot, oregano and pimento berry oil,
perpetuating intervals of conflict which are countered by aromatic notes of
amber, frankincense, opoponax, cistus and myrrh. Eternal notes of leather,
agarwood smoke, patchouli and sandalwood in the base add lasting layers of depth
and texture.

I have a small sample vial with the dabber stick. I only used the stick for a few swipes. A swipe to each wrist and some on my shirt. If I were to wear it like this all the time the little sample would last a long time.

I did get the bergamot in the opening but it was short lived. Man this stuff is "the stuff". Its HUGE! I love it.

I only wore this one other time and if the wife liked it I would consider this over Epic Man. If she changes her mind about it I will be buying some.

I have always thought that the house of Amouage is one of the greats when it comes to doing incense based scents and this is no exception. It reminds me a bit of the Dev series from Olympic Orchids a bit. The incense is smoky and a little sweet but not much sweetness. It is blended so well I cant stop smelling it. I don't get any oregano yet but other than that I agree with how things are ranked on fragrantica. Its a creamy incense with a touch of amber and oud.

I cant get over how good this is. I would consider paying full price but I have seen it at $155 and that is a steal if you compare it to other pricey scents.
This sounds wonderful, and will certainly be on my To Sample List. Thanks for your thoughts.

Today
Dua Ecstasy on my left arm and Amouage Jubilation (vintage) on my right.

The Dua is supposed to smell like Jubilation. I have decants of both and the Jubilation is the non magnetic cap pre reformulation.

Dua in general seems to have a large following but also has a lot of people making all kinds of statements about how awful the house is. I am not someone who is going to talk about anyone in the way I have seen. I am strictly going to talk about the smell and performance itself and ignore all else.

Retail
Dua - 1oz $45
Jubilation - 3.4oz $305

Descriptions
Jubilation
Top notes are orange, coriander, labdanum, tarragon, olibanum and blackberry;
middle notes are guaiac wood, cinnamon, bay leaf, honey, orchid, rose, clove and
celery seeds; base notes are opoponax, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, musk, oakmoss,
ambergris, agarwood (oud) and immortelle.

Ecstasy
The fragrance features orange, coriander, labdanum, blackberry, cinnamon, honey,
rose, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, ambergris and agarwood (oud).

I have had them on for about an hour or just over.
The Dua seemed to have a little more blackberry in the opening but I almost could not tell them apart at all. I get a lot of incense in the traditional Amouage kind of way.

Right now I can not tell the difference at all. Just slightly sweet and berry like incense with a touch of oud. It seems like sometimes I am getting a lot of oud and others time not so much.

We will see how they perform. I may have to try it again tomorrow and switch arms.

I'm anxious to hear your "final" thought on this. There has been a great deal of DUA bashing online that I will not participate in either, but it does make one wonder.

I'll do one more quick segment of Rick's Picks...lolol

Amouage-Jubilation XXV

This is only one of maybe 4 fragrances that I've loved from the open to the base, and I will be purchasing a full bottle next month when my wife isn't paying attention to the number of boxes that randomly arrive to the Charles estate. I will also add before I get into my thoughts of the juice, that this is one of a few fragrances that SWMBO has given her stamp of approval. She doesn't know the price tag yet, and I more than likely won't tell her either :)

The open is so bright and fruity, yet a wisp of smokey incense is present. I've looked at the notes on this one previously, so I know they have everything but the kitchen sink in here, and sometimes that can spell disaster for a juice. Not the case for Jubilation, it is masterfully blended and the progression from open to base seems very seamless and smooth. The single note that I continued to get a whiff of throughout the day was blackberry, and it was so nice to be reminded of picking blackberries with my kids in the Summer. I was not able to pick out all of the listed notes as my nose isn't that acute, but one cannot miss the presence of incenses, woods and musk and yes there in here. All of these notes play so well together and I find the fragrance to be both bright and very enjoyable.

Call me a fan and this is by far my favorite of the Amouage line, thus far.

Today
From the house of Amouage
Memoir Man
Retails for $300 for 100ml but can be found for $160

Perfumer Karine Vinchon built it around central note of absynth. Top notes are basil, mint and wormwood; middle notes are lavender, incense and rose; base notes are sandalwood, guaiac wood, oak moss, amber, vanille, tobacco and leather.

The opening was very minty with some wormwood and nice incense in the background. Very pleasant after about 2 minutes.

This is not what I am used to from Amouage. It is more cool and less smokey and thick.

An hour and a half in and I do like it. Wormwood and incense and mint are mostly what I am getting. Very nice but I don't think FB worthy for me. I will update this later

Today
Journey Man from Amouage
NOTES
woody-spicy character with initial notes of Sichuan pepper and cardamom, refreshed with bergamot zest and luminous, sparkling neroli blossom. The heart incorporates juniper berries, incense, pure geraniol and tobacco leaves lying on a base of tonka, cypriol, leather and musk

The opening is peppery with a juniper background. Shortly after that I get the traditional incense from amouage but it is not near as strong as others from the house. Something gives it some freshness too but I cant figure that note out just yet. Maybe is neroli.

This to me would be a good intro to the house if you are not used to the big bold beast scents. Its lighter and cleaner than say Interlude, Epic and Jubilation. But not overally fresh and not a typical summer scent.
I would like it more though if it was a little stronger and big.

We shall see but right now I like it but I don't love it.

Update on Journey man. I like it a lot in the first hour or so but its only a like after that. I will keep wearing it and see if I change my mind.

Today
Davidoff Zino
This was a Christmas gift from the wife. When I got it I still had sinus issues and could not smell anything. I have been sampling mostly since I get my sense of smell back. I have worn it once before but I could not smell it well at all.

It starts off stingingly fresh with lavender, palisander, clary sage and bergamot at the top. The heart is composed as an elegant floral bouquet of geranium, rose, lily-of-the-valley and jasmine. Warm and manly components lock the composition down: patchouli, cedar wood and sandalwood, along with a tender touch of vanilla.

My bottle is from 2016 according to the date code
Opened with some lavender and a big punch of bergamot. After about five minutes I was getting a lot of fresh patchouli and a little creamy sandalwood.

The ranking of notes on fragrantica look about right to me. I like it a lot and thank God the rose note is way in the background!

I hope this newer bottle performs well otherwise I will look for some vintage juice

Today
Amouage Sunshine Men
opens with yellow flowers of immortelle, aromatic lavender and juicy, intoxicating blend orange brandy. The heart highlights bergamot, juniper berries and clary sage on a base of cedar, tonka and vanilla. Warm effect of sunrays comes from a sensual union of immortelle, orange brandy, luminosity of bergamot zest while warm milky-tobacco shades are left by tonka and vanilla. Aromatic notes convey atmosphere of the coast and richness of shades in sea air.

Wow This is interesting
To description of the opening above is pretty much dead on. The orange is huge right away and very thick and boozy. The immortelle is there for sure also! This its been an hour and it still orange and boozy and kind of sweet. Its like a orange cream sickle liquor. Kind of strange and even more strange that I kind of like it. It is not my style at all!

The ranking of notes on fragrantica feels very accurate. In the opening though I would move orange way up with the brandy.

Today
Amouage Sunshine Men
opens with yellow flowers of immortelle, aromatic lavender and juicy, intoxicating blend orange brandy. The heart highlights bergamot, juniper berries and clary sage on a base of cedar, tonka and vanilla. Warm effect of sunrays comes from a sensual union of immortelle, orange brandy, luminosity of bergamot zest while warm milky-tobacco shades are left by tonka and vanilla. Aromatic notes convey atmosphere of the coast and richness of shades in sea air.

Wow This is interesting
To description of the opening above is pretty much dead on. The orange is huge right away and very thick and boozy. The immortelle is there for sure also! This its been an hour and it still orange and boozy and kind of sweet. Its like a orange cream sickle liquor. Kind of strange and even more strange that I kind of like it. It is not my style at all!

The ranking of notes on fragrantica feels very accurate. In the opening though I would move orange way up with the brandy.
I liked this a lot. Performance was good too. 10 hours with projection.

Top Bottom