What's new

Sample Variety Pack?

I know there are plenty of threads on samples, and I know a lot of the websites sell them, I've been to a few and looked thru. What I'm failing to see is a kit or sampler that contains samples from different manufacturers. A friend of mine told me that's how he found one he liked. He said he thought he found it thru this website, but he hadn't logged in since 2014. He said it was like an 8 pack of different "high end" soaps. That's what I'm looking for. I know maggardrazors gets recommended a lot because they have variety, but you still have to go thru each brand and pick them out and that's the problem, I have no idea. I've only used 1 puck and it was pretty cheap off amazon. I'd rather buy something that whatever minds decided is a good assortment to start and then go from there.

He said it was like an 8 pack of different "high end" soaps. That's what I'm looking for. I know maggardrazors gets recommended a lot because they have variety, but you still have to go thru each brand and pick them out and that's the problem, I have no idea.

WestCoastShaving sells samples in packs by brand, popularity, scent type, staff picks, etc....

link to sample sets - Shaving Cream Sample Packs

i think you should try the Proraso pack, the original (green) Eucalyptus , (red) Sandalwood , (white) Green Tea & Oatmeal are like a rite of passage into wet shaving...and their 3 newer scents are really fantastic - Wood & Spice, Cypress & Vetiver, Azur Lime.

maggards is great too even though it takes a little more work to choose for yourself. They have lots of aftershave and balm samples, so you can try out more scents than just soaps and creams. Barrister & Mann reserve samples smell awesome, the proraso pre/post creams and aftershaves are also available in samples at maggards

Last edited:
Thank you, that's the general idea I was looking for. The bad part is I was on their website last night but didn't realize that's how they were organized. I guess I just thought some of them were odd brand names.

One thing about that is they all seem to be creams. Is this just because it's easier to sample a cream than a soap? Or they just don't do the variety with soaps? I'm not against sampling a cream if they have the same soap but I think for long term use, I'd rather the soap.

Also I want to be sure I'm using the correct language as there is a forum "Shaving Creams" and another "Shaving Soaps." On WestCoastShaving, many of the creams are referred to as soaps until the end. While I understand that they are all technically soaps, everyone is on the same page by saying soap vs solid/bar/puck etc? Right?

Thank you, that's the general idea I was looking for. The bad part is I was on their website last night but didn't realize that's how they were organized. I guess I just thought some of them were odd brand names.

One thing about that is they all seem to be creams. Is this just because it's easier to sample a cream than a soap? Or they just don't do the variety with soaps? I'm not against sampling a cream if they have the same soap but I think for long term use, I'd rather the soap.

Also I want to be sure I'm using the correct language as there is a forum "Shaving Creams" and another "Shaving Soaps." On WestCoastShaving, many of the creams are referred to as soaps until the end. While I understand that they are all technically soaps, everyone is on the same page by saying soap vs solid/bar/puck etc? Right?

When people are discussing Shaving soaps and creams, they will use soap for hard, cream for soft, and croap for the in betweens. However, when they are referring to "lathering products", some will use "Shave Soap", others "Shaving Cream" as a generic term, and some will mention both. So you often have to determine how they are using it, or ask if not clear.

westcoast and maggards have both soaps and creams in their samples, you have to read thru the descriptions.

don't count out creams before you've tried them. you easily get mounds of lather with very little work. i know soaps are way more popular on the forums, and they look cooler in photos, but some creams will give you really great shaves too.

+1 on West Coast Shaving and Maggards. Check out the Groomatorium too (I've ordered from them a couple of times and had good service).

@bpm5cm, there is also a soap sample passaround that's about to start that contains over 400 samples of various soaps (an absolute mind boggling array of some of the finest soaps available)!! You pay for shipping to the next person and you'll need to get your post count up in order to meet qualifications. Passarounds are a great way to try soaps and their associated scents.

don't count out creams before you've tried them. you easily get mounds of lather with very little work. i know soaps are way more popular on the forums, and they look cooler in photos, but some creams will give you really great shaves too.
I'm not quite ready to count out the creams. I've only used 1 soap and 1 cream and they were both very cheap, of the two cheapies, the bar was much better. But I realize this is a whole different game. Ideally a pack that had a few creams and soaps would be best, but I've got a lot to look through and have to wait until next month until I buy anything anyways.

there is also a soap sample passaround that's about to start that contains over 400 samples of various soaps (an absolute mind boggling array of some of the finest soaps available)!! You pay for shipping to the next person and you'll need to get your post count up in order to meet qualifications. Passarounds are a great way to try soaps and their associated scents.

I saw that on one of the other threads, I hear it's quite a wait, which I can understand why. I might try this in the future but I think 400 samples might be a bit overwhelming to start with. And I have a 2 year old that gets into everything so I don't want to be the guy who's kid flushed 1/4 of the very nice soaps. I'm gonna stick with a small sample pack for now.

is there any more info on this passaround? god i would love to be able to just smell 400 different soaps! i doubt my post count is high enough but if i could get in its truley an experience of a lifetime!

Top Bottom