What's new

Sample pack, which to try first?

I just recieved my blade sampler pack from letterk! (thanks!!) :biggrin:

I can't decide which to try first in the Vision. Anyone have a suggestion?

Choices are:
1. Feather
2. Derby
3. Gillete Platinum
4. Israeli

when I received the sample pack, my order of blades was:

1. Derby

2. Feather

3. Swedish Gillette

I already was using the Israeli blades and had already tried the Merkur. If I was doing it all over again, I would switch #'s 2 and 3.

Marty

Least to most sharp (well, roughly):

Merkur
Isaeli/Derby
Euro Gillette
Feather

I would start with the Isrealis or Derbys and go from there.

Dennis

I also have received the sampler pack with 10 blades of each brand from John and have only tried the Swedish Gillette Platinums since these are widely available in my area for a very decent price.

Maybe a stupid question but a general question to all the members who sample the blades: how long do you guys wait before trying out other blades? Do you guys switch blade brands every week?

Ashe said:
I also have received the sampler pack with 10 blades of each brand from John and have only tried the Swedish Gillette Platinums since these are widely available in my area for a very decent price.

Maybe a stupid question but a general question to all the members who sample the blades: how long do you guys wait before trying out other blades? Do you guys switch blade brands every week?

I have multiple razors, and sometimes switch on a whim (and even during a shave). But mostly, I stick with Feathers.

I'd think if you are seriously trying to compare blades to find the one you like best, it would be wise to go with using up a blade, and then switching to the next....

So shortly after posting this message my internet connection went down so I missed all the good advice and went with the feather.

Results: The Feather blade makes the Merkur look like a butter knife. WOW. Very impressed. I'll hit the Derbys up next!

Thanks for the input fellas.

BGog said:
So shortly after posting this message my internet connection went down so I missed all the good advice and went with the feather.

Results: The Feather blade makes the Merkur look like a butter knife. WOW. Very impressed. I'll hit the Derbys up next!

Thanks for the input fellas.
Hate to spoil your fun, but if you are comfortable with the Feather there is little to no sense in trying any of the others. Well, you can and then see how much you really like the Feathers.:w00t:

In regards to the question: "How much time do you give each blade?"

For me, the anwswer is "At least 4 or 5 days, if not a week."

As for the order of trying them out: though going "Mildest to Sharpest" makes a lot of sense, I must admit that I went with the following order (and this includes blades I picked up myself locally, so I may have some you don't):

1. US Personna Platinum (the WalMart specials)
2. Feathers
3. Derby
4. Israeli Personnas
5. Sweedish Gillette
6. Merkur
7. German Wilkinsons

And I am surprised to find that my preference is:

1. Merkur
2. Israeli Personna
3. US Personna Platinum
4. Derby
5. Feathers
6. Sweedes
...and I am trying the German Wilkensons this week.

I'm using a 1965 Gillette Thin Adjustable, BTW, with nothing but Proraso.

There is an obvious trend with these, and I can understand it. I can keep a very light touch with the Feathers and Gillettes, but all the different directions of stubble growth don't respond well to it. The heavier touch needed to actually cut my odd stubble results in a fairly raw face with these two extra sharp blades. The "duller blades" cut my whiskers just as well, but the required pressure doesn't make my face raw afterwards.

My results were totally unexpected. Yours may be to. Perhaps a random selection is not a bad idea...

-Warr

I got my sample pack at the end of last week.

What I had already tried before the sample pack:

Merkur - Good results. A blade will last a week for me. These are currently my go-to blades.

Wilkinson Sword (German) - Not bad, but not quite as good as the Merkurs. Good for 4-5 shaves, but really not more without getting uncomfortable.

Gillette (Madrid) - Horrible experience. Lots of nicks & cuts. Hated them.

Then I got the sample pack.

My first pick out of the sample pack was a Feather. I loaded it into my HD on Sunday morning.

Very close shaves so far this week, but with some uncomfortable spots, especially under the jawline. I'm also having more redness and razor burn on my neck. My skin, especially my neck, might be too sensitive for these in my HD. Next time I try a Feather will be in a dialed-down Gillette Adjustable (Fat Boy).

My next blade to try will be an Israeli.

Top Bottom