What's new

Same soap all the time

Not heresy at all, just use an unscented soap and add whatever scents you like e.g. Hendrix Classics. But honestly using a dupe of your favorite cologne scented soap or a good year round scent would be just fine.

Reactions: bjm

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Some are variety shavers and some, like me, are use your favorites shavers.

I use the same razor, blade (usually), WH and moisturizer. But the same soap every day? That's going too far.

I use MdC most days, but I always have one or two others for a change. Some shavers would be apoplectic if they had less than 15. Decide what makes you happy and do that.

Ideally I would like to have one or two or three soaps that I always use for simplicity's sake.

But first I have to try ALL of them!
Yeah. Samples first before committing to a full brick, puck, tub, or tube. In the beginning, it seemed to me samples would be more expensive but (with the benefit of hindsight) I could have satisfied my curiosity about a lot of soaps and made a more informed decision much earlier. And it would have cost less in the long run and resulted in a lot less anxiety about how long it would take to 3017 the current soap and which one to use next. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Three is the right number for me. Just enough variety to prevent things getting tedious, but not enough to overwhelm me with excess choice at every shave. When something gets finished, I'll replenish it from the stockpile.

Note: one of the options is just a small serving of tub soap, and therefore gets replenished more frequently than the other two options (one mug soap, and one cream). It won't necessarily be replenished from the same tub, so I may have several tubs started, but only one serving out in play at any time.

Only those select few who got into wet shaving strictly to "save money" and were able to keep it that way :D But I still think those folks are a myth and don't exist, like "post shave feel" or "The Loch Ness Monster" (HAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Only those select few who got into wet shaving strictly to "save money" and were able to keep it that way :D But I still think those folks are a myth and don't exist, like "post shave feel" or "The Loch Ness Monster" (HAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist)

I spent over 25 years saving money with double edged razors, but do admit I had a glut of spending over the last 12 to 18 months. Then again, some prices shot up significantly shortly afterwards (Wickhams springs to mind), so even having built up a modest stock pile of soap, I'm still saving :biggrin1: I only use two razors with any regularity, and just one of those does the bulk of the work. In 30 years, I have also accumulated a grand total of five brushes.

You don't have to enjoy shopping to enjoy shaving ;)

I have overspent on shave goods since the pandemic hit. Maybe it's the time I have had on my hands; maybe it's some sort of deep-seeded anxiety-driven thing. I don't know. But I think the same soap every day makes absolute sense, and on some level I aspire to get down to just the one. Kind of thinking about 3017ing a bunch of things and then choosing among MdC Fougere, Arko, Palmolive, and Cella Extra Bio for "the one." It's hard to do in part because you have to hang out here to sell stuff and then you get sucked into the vortex.

I spent over 25 years saving money with double edged razors, but do admit I had a glut of spending over the last 12 to 18 months. Then again, some prices shot up significantly shortly afterwards (Wickhams springs to mind), so even having built up a modest stock pile of soap, I'm still saving :biggrin1: I only use two razors with any regularity, and just one of those does the bulk of the work. In 30 years, I have also accumulated a grand total of five brushes.

You don't have to enjoy shopping to enjoy shaving ;)
I'm relatively new here and have been in the DE/SE shaving game for less than five years. I sincerely hope to be able to make the same or similar statement twenty-five years from now.

Last edited:
Nah, I like the variety too much. I went nuts at first with different soaps and creams, and I still have a shelf full of partially-useed purchases from that earlier era. I stick of a rotation of about six; once in a way I dip into the aforementioned cupboard to try again an older brand, but I think I have found a good combination of soaps and creams. Gine Italian Citrus, MdC Rose, LPL Rose de Pushkar, MdC Agrumes, Spiueck Cream. And Like I mentioned, other grab-bag choices.

I only use one soap and aftershave at a time, usually Proraso which I can buy very cheaply at a local Italian supermarket. I still use the Muhle badger brush, bowl and DE razor kit that my fiancé gave to me many Christmases ago and have never bought doubles. I also have a single shavette that was my main razor until recently.

Straight razors and hones on the other hand…

In the olden days, I am sure that most guys stuck with one soap every day.

But, where’s the fun in that? :a29:
Usually it was Colgate, or Williams shaving soap. Around Christmas time you could find Old Spice gift sets with the shaving soap. My dad liked the Old Spice.

Clayton

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It’s too late for me. So my answer is no. Buying and trying chasing the perfect (fill in the blank) has been my system. But when I used carts I would buy several different handles, disposable ones, The newest battery powered system. Carts, cans of goo, cream gel etc.

G

Guest2023

I've been using Arko 30 or more days in a row. I plan to use a dozen of them exclusively. I guess it will take 2 years or more to use them completely. The scent's grown on me and I never get tired of it. :)

until I found badger and blade I used Palmolive stick daily with a Wilkinson sword boar brush and various cartridge razors for roughly 30 years. Now my two main soaps are MWF and Palmolive stick with barber size tubes of Proraso green cream for the warmer weather. These three are all I need.

For the last 8 years or so, I have been using Mitchell's Wool Fat exclusively, unless I can't get it. I have half a dish of 8 year or so old Tabac that I could not finish because of the overpowering scent. Overpowering to me, that is.

I am starting to think about considering other options that are similar to Mitchell's Wool Fat, but only if they share at least all of the good attributes of Mitchell's Wool Fat, and hopefully add something extra. Is that even possible ?

In short, I think it's fine to have one favorite,
but it's also good to have other options so that worst case, you have a backup plan.

Top Bottom