What's new

Same model, different handles & Experimenting with UV cured resin

Does this happen often? Same model number, same ferrule size, same handle height, different handle color, different handle shape (the white one is skinnier)...

I wanted to reset a knot I like into the nicer handle. Other than the color, I didn’t notice the differences until I had both handles next to one another.

I filled in the new handle with some magnets, cork, and topped it off with epoxy. I still had to build a proper shelf, so I decided to take a chance with some UV cured resin I use for fly tying. The stuff gets hotter than epoxy, I ran a powerful fan next to the handle the whole time. I don’t know if that actually helps to cool it, but it made me feel better. It took two applications of resin and the shelf was in place and fully cured in under 3 minutes. I let it cool off a little bit before scuffing the surface and setting the knot with silicone.

Other than UV resin being more expensive than epoxy, it seems like an ok way to do it if I’m impatient. I have more than I’ll ever use, so I didn’t mind “wasting” some on this. We’ll see how it holds up. Too bad the knot can’t be set with it.

D39A1694-C595-4F19-B85D-20FC45893E03.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t help with your question, but the handle on the left is is excellent condition. What type of knot are you putting in it?

I can’t help with your question, but the handle on the left is is excellent condition. What type of knot are you putting in it?

I’m putting the Maggards mixed in it. It was previously in the handle on the right. I like the knot so much, I thought it deserved a nicer handle. But now the one on the right has no knot...so I’m toying with the idea of buying the AP mixed fan, just to try it out. I’m not in a hurry.

I noticed the differences but don't know when or why they changed. Like, which is older.

I have one that I put a Razorock Blondie boar knot into. It was a little work to transplant the knot, but worth it in the end. If you like boar.

I noticed the differences but don't know when or why they changed. Like, which is older.

I have one that I put a Razorock Blondie boar knot into. It was a little work to transplant the knot, but worth it in the end. If you like boar.

I was considering boar. My first brush was boar, but I haven’t used one in a really long time. I’m not sure I want to commit to the break in period.

If you ever do consider a boar knot I highly recommend the ones from TGN. Less than $10 and surprisingly kind to the face from the first use. My guess is they’re treated since there is no scritch. They aren’t the best looking knot, but they perform wonderfully.

If you ever do consider a boar knot I highly recommend the ones from TGN. Less than $10 and surprisingly kind to the face from the first use. My guess is they’re treated since there is no scritch. They aren’t the best looking knot, but they perform wonderfully.
Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Top Bottom